Thought I'd share a conversation I had with someone. Perhaps offer the mindset of an outsider.
Here's some of the issues I've found with Burning Board.
1. It's lacking caching methods e.g. Opcache + APCu. It only supports Memcached and the file system.
2. It has "Reserved Email Addresses" but what about banning email
addresses via wildcards or a partial address e.g. @10minutemail.org or *@10minutemail.*
3. It says that it supports reCAPTCHA but it reCAPTCHA v1. What about reCAPTCHA v2 or keyCAPTCHA?
4. The default theme doesn't seem to carry over to the admin/mod area,
so you're stuck with the "Blue Temptation" theme. I'm not a fan of that
5. How do you hide external links or specific content from guests?
6. There doesn't seem to be a hooking system for plugins? With vBulletin
and maybe XenForo you can add PHP code from the admin panel to create
plugins on the fly.
7. The best themes all cost $14+ (Hypidiomorphic & Switch) and then
it's a further $89.99 for the basic Burning Board package w/o any
8. There doesn't seem to be a chat plugin that has the exact same group
chat functionality as what we've already got. Tim's chat is ugly too
9. It seems over simplified as it's lacking a lot of options that both vBulletin and XenForo offer.
10. Most of the good plugins aren't free, but the equivalent features are either built into vB4 or they're available for free.
I'm not seeing any API documentation and I'd be worried that it's not all in English I can't speak a word of German
I replied to their comments and here is their reply.
1. We use Opcache + APCu since that's the best solution for PHP 7.
2. The "Reserved Email Addresses" option doesn't specifically say that you
can do that. I've had a good look through the menus too and it doesn't
mention banning email addresses anywhere
3. The control panel option looks like it only offered the 1 option. I know that IPB offers 3 or 4 options though.
5. I looked through the group settings, but I didn't see anything for content censoring.
I really don't want to retheme plugins. Burning Board needs to have
better theme support so that plugins will adapt to whatever theme you're
using. That plus the admin panel should use the skin that you select
and not switch to a the god awful blue one.