Posts by Jupiter

Head code has been introduced in 3.1, but I don't really understand what it is or how to use it. Could anyone give me any tips please?

I know from other threads, the importance of title tags and meta description, but meta tags are now irrelevant as far as Google is concerned (why is this feature in 3.1 as they're redundant now?) but I don't know how head code fits into this mix.

I've just been doing a few more tests on this feature and a couple more issues:

1. No mod notification is sent when a member's thread title is changed, or when text of their thread is edited.

2. By clicking on "This post has previous versions that are saved." the moderator's name is shown to the member.

If you go to my forum as a guest, you can see that the mod's name is revealed in this thread:

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/for…tification-test-and-more/

A feature I miss from vbulletin, is the ability of posts being merged in a thread if you post two posts in a row within a similar timeframe, ie within 24 hours. Can this be considered for WoltLab, please?

thanks

I just had a serious incident today and not for the first time, when a member "accidentally" added additional text into a quoted post of mine in a very controversial thread. He claims that he simply clicked the wrong button, but he added two lines of text into a post of mine that he quoted which gives the impression that I support the extermination of Muslims in Burma, which I most certainly do not.X( That is more than clicking a button...

Is there any chance that once someone has selected text to quote from another member by highlighting it with a mouse or clicking the quote button, that the quoted text becomes locked and cannot be edited to give the impression that someone wrote something, when in fact they did not.

thanks

2. The problem updating only all or nothing is a problem for sure. It's due to the excellent development work, incredible features and great possibilities for 3rd party developers and web designers to fulfill everyones wishes.

Everything has to fit to another. There is no need to update. If you want it, then save up the money over the whole year. This is my way.

3. Please, don't mix your existing versions with new versions. Maybe it might be working, but the problems will arising later.

After reviewing Alexander's comments, I decided not to mix versions. I''ve purchased all the 3.1 versions of the apps I used previously, but unlike the betas, all the 3rd party plugins aren't currently working.

My stance remains that WoltLab should stipulate to potential new customers that if they ever wish to update the software in the future to new versions, they have to update and purchase ALL the apps, or none at all.

I keep getting search engine bots showing up as regular guests and not as bots. Can you update and keep updating what IPs the main search engines use please?

As an example, the following two are from Microsoft:

thanks

As I already said via conversation:

You could display a warning before an upgrade, that it's on the administrators own risk and you'll get support only in that one case when you're using all packages with the newest version (in that case still meh). So it's possible to upgrade the WSC and use it's new features like the contact form or other cool things without spending much money in something you might not actually need or you just don't have that money because you're a child or idk.

I think that would be a good/better solution.

No, what I am talking about it making potential customers aware of this issue before they hand over any money. That way they can make a judgement as to whether they wish to purchase WOltLab software or not. As in my case, once the software is purchased, having a message after the case when a new version comes along is too late.

I don't know what a idk is.

The problem I have is that I am struggling to attract new members to my forum because nobody knows about my site. There are two main ways to promote my site that I'm aware of: via social media, but this software lacks social media sharing icons for each post - something I totally overlooked when I made the purchase. The other method is by being in a good position on search engine pages.

I had vbulletin5 before coming to WoltLab with a built in sitemap that helped my site to achieve page 2 on Google rankings for some of the search terms I am targeting such as politics. Since the switch over to WOltLab software, my rankings collapsed, which is why I am interested in the built in site map feature of 3.1. But I cannot justify, let alone afford to upgrade all the WoltLab apps, especially considering the Blog has only 4 minor changes in 3.1.

Either WoltLab should sell all the apps together for one price, or, as I believed when I purchased the software, each app can be updated as and when when required.

Another option would be to go the subscription model already outlined.

Another option for me is to give up on forums like most people do now and go to Facebook. I hate Facebook.

What do I do:?:

However, as with all things, there is more taking place behind the curtains that is not obvious at a first glance, so please allow me to explain the reasons behind all of this:

I am not a software developer, so cannot possibly argue with you on the intricacies of software development, but I accept your explanations, however:

When WoltLab sell their software they should stipulate from the outset, that if you purchase multiple apps from them like Forum, Gallery. Blog etc, if you want new features in the future, you have to update ALL the apps that you originally purchased, even if you are not interested in updated versions of some of them. They should stipulate this from the outset.

It is too late for me, but will you stipulate on your purchase page that if potential customers purchase more than one app and want new features in the future, they must purchase ALL future versions of the apps regardless of whether they want all the updated versions of the apps or not?

While I consider my next options, please can you state what WoltLab's official policy is on selling licences on, please?

thank you

TheSonic, I'm aware WOltLab don't use the subscription model, but:

you may drop eg. Blogs here and upgrade it at at a later time..

That is just ridiculous, not your post, but WoltLab's implementation.

When WoltLab sell their software they should stipulate from the outset, that if you purchase multiple apps from them like Forum, Gallery. Blog etc, if you want new features in the future, you have to update ALL the apps that you originally purchased, even if you are not interested in updated versions of some of them. They should stipulate this from the outset.

As MysterCode put it, it's a trap. Totally dishonest.