Posts by Ruff Seas

Ruff Seas WoltLab Suite 3.1 is compatible with PHP 5.5-7.3:

1. Anything below PHP 7.1 should not be used at all. There is absolutely no security support by the PHP developers for these versions.
    2. PHP 7.1 will pretty much always work, making it a safe, but neither recommended nor favorable pick.
    3. PHP 7.2 introduced a few backwards incompatible changes, which may break some old plugins.
    4. PHP 7.3 is the most recent version, but also has a backward incompatible change that may conflict with old plugins.

Our recommendation right now is to use PHP 7.3 and only downgrade to a lower version, if there is an essential plugin that does not run with the selected version. However, you should absolutely always work on getting the latest stable PHP version to work, offering better stability and superior performance.

And most important: Do not use Alpha/Beta/RC versions of PHP in your production environment, unless you are absolutely aware of the consequences and are able to solve any issues that arise. We do not support unstable PHP versions at all.

Hello Alexander. Thanks for the information you submitted!

For those of you who are interested in even more information, here is a listing of the latest information on PHP from the PHP . net site

(Full URL's are shown below).

Unsupported Historical Releases

We have collected all the official information and code available for past PHP releases. You can find more details on the current release on

our downloads page.

Please note that older releases are listed for archival purposes only, and they are no longer supported.

https://www.php.net/releases/index.php

Newest PHP Release is: 7.1.29

This Version was released on 16 AUG 2018

This Version was released on 30 MAY 2019

**************************************************************************************************************

NEWEST INFORMATION:

Downloads Page URL:

https://www.php.net/downloads.php

https://www.php.net/index.php#id2019-05-30-3

PHP 7.1.30 Released

The PHP development team announces the immediate availability of PHP 7.1.30.

This is a security release.

All PHP 7.1 users are encouraged to upgrade to this version.

For source downloads of PHP 7.1.30 please visit our downloads page,

Windows source and binaries can be found on windows.php.net/download/.

The list of changes is recorded in the ChangeLog.

30 May 2019

PHP 7.2.19 Release Announcement

The PHP development team announces the immediate availability of PHP 7.2.19.

This is a security release which also contains several minor bug fixes.

All PHP 7.2 users are encouraged to upgrade to this version.

For source downloads of PHP 7.2.19 please visit our downloads page,

30 May 2019

PHP 7.3.6 Release Announcement

The PHP development team announces the immediate availability of PHP 7.3.6.

This is a security release which also contains several bug fixes.

All PHP 7.3 users are encouraged to upgrade to this version.

For source downloads of PHP 7.3.6 please visit our downloads page,

Current Stable PHP 7.3.6

30 MAY 2019

I am interested in what all of you in the above posts have commented on regarding PHP because soon I will be launching my newest forum project;

and I have taken note of the previous recommendations by Woltlab Developers - particularly Alexander Ebert - that PHP 7.1 or 7.2 is the preferable version to use.

I contacted my Hosting Provider and they told me I can have them activate any version of PHP of my choice.

Then I did some searching on the Internet regarding PHP, and this is what I could find:

7.1.x is a viable, currently supported version.

The latest supported version is 7.1.20 - but not after September 2019; at that time (October 2020 onward),

7.2.x will be the current, fully supported version of PHP UNTIL Version 7.3

Additionally, Version 7.3 is currently in Beta mode.

No date is given as to exactly when this version will be the "active", fully supported version, of PHP.

So my question:

What should I ask my Hosting Provider to use (set up for me) with regard to the Hosting Plan I have with them:

Version 7.1.x, OR Version 7.2.x, OR 7.2.20 ?

Hi

I just looked at the screenshot and noticed one typo (“ignore” instead of “ignored” for “do not check”). But as none of us are native speakers: Could you clarify where you would make changes?

Here is one sentence I discovered that should be changed:

"The database is carefully maintained, but it there will be always be a margine of error, ..... "

Change to:

The database is carefully maintained, but there will always be a margin of error, ....

The features above: "Stop Forum Spam", and, "Delete Users Content" are what interests me the most - and a good reason why I will upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2 when the final completed version is available.

One thing I noticed - and hopefully Matthias Schmidt and others at Woltlab Development - have noticed the several misspellings, and words which are not needed, in a few of the sentences under "Stop Forum Spam".

Looking forward to 5.2! Good work guys!!:)

The only exception is an EV certificate. But in most cases, you don't need one.

Generally speaking, the decision to purchase an EV Certificate would be based upon the type of website the individual or company has -

(like a complex commercial/commerce website) - am I correct?

I have had a dedicated server since 2012

Reading over this Thread - and your comment above; and, your comment in Post # 5 - in the Thread I started, i.e., "Best procedure for optimizing Blogs / Forums / Websites?") pertaining to SSL Certificates - I became curious so I logged onto the Hosting Provider you use and viewed their Hosting Plans, but more importantly, which SSL Certificates they sell.

Interestingly enough, Hetzner Hosting sells Digicert and Thawte SSL Certificates - which the company I do business with - ENOM . com - also sells these brands of SSL Certificates; and they provide a detailed chart of each tier level.

When I had my last website, I looked into the various SSL Certificates Enom sells; and I spoke with a Tech Advisor about them. He advised me on which SSL Certificates would be best suited for me.

Then I discovered that my Hosting Provider (247-Host . com) provides a free SSL Certificate if purchasing one of their VPS Hosting Plans - of which I stated earlier in one of these Threads/Posts. I chose to go with their SSL Cetificate; and I was not disappointed in doing so.

There are real major differences in which grade (Tier Level) of SSL Certificates a website owner could purchse OR should purchase; however it all depends on what is truly needed for the type of website one is operating.

For me, it wouldn't be logical to invest in a top level SSL Certificate for a rather modest and simple website or forum.

But on the other hand, it wouldn't be logical for a major world wide business to purchase a low level SSL Certificate.

Is it possible to change the color of the boxes and txt. And is it possible to make a shadow around the boxes

I think the "shadow" addition you mention is possible; and Coloring the text should be.:) Not sure if coloring the entire box would be desirable.:/

I know when I had my last website - using Version 3.0.x - I received help on these same types of changes/alterations you have mentioned here.

There are several Members on this Woltlab Forum who can help you!

And Alexander Ebert and Matthis Schmidt I am sure can help you!

VPS and Dedicated Hosting Plans cost more but they are preferable over Shared Hosting!

Shared Hosting Plans are really not suitable for anyone who operates FORUM Software on their Website.

Dedicated Servers are a must if you have website / forum which typically has many Members (well over a 1,000).

And also if the website/forum one has includes a very active commerce site in addition to the many active forum members.

Additionally, if one's website/forum has many Videos included on it, anything less than a Dedicated Sever probably won't be satisfactory -

for several considerations/reasons.

Add to those features and conditions just stated above, an Audio / Video Chat System, a Dedicated Server is an absolute must ... if indeed not a

requirement; as the "high end" Audio / Video Chat System Software requires such for a smooth running operation; as well as Red 5.

With my new Website / Forum project I intend to have all of the above - when fully implemented and operational.

But of course one's best intentions and plans are always subject to a variety of unforeseen events which can "derail" those plans.

However, it will be a challenge - and fun - as I proceed.

With Woltlab Version 5.2 coming up in a few months, that makes my pursuing this project I have embarked upon, even more exciting.:P

UPDATE FOR POST #8

*Regarding what I said in #6 above, this is the one disappointment I have with the Hosting Provider I use (247-Host . com) -

but nothing in this world is 100% perfect!

However I have a way of working around this one slight obstacle:

1) I go to my favorite Domain Name Registrar (which is Enom . com).

There I purchase my Domain Names, and I also purchase ID Protect at the same time for each Domain Name I purchase.

The cost is quite reasonable for both.

2) Then I go to 247-Host and select/purchase whichever Hosting Plan I want.

After that is purchased and confirmed, the Tech Department and the Sales Dept. send me Emails regarding my purchase.

3) I look for the info I need to make a change in the Nameservers - so that they can be pointed to my Hosting Provider.

4) I go back to Enom and make the change.

All of this takes only 15 to 20 minutes at most.

Should you have difficulty in knowing exactly what to do (in changing the Nameservers and where to go within the Enom website for this purpose), there is a posted phone number on the Enom website to call for technical help. Very convenient.

The ONLY other Hosting Provider I can recommend is HostGator.

However, they are not as good as 247-Host - but I have no complaints. Just that they do not offer everything in a VPS Plan that I can get with 247-Host; and Host Gator doesn't show all details in their features list for their Hosting Plans like 247-Host does.

Both 247-Host and HostGator give a percentage discount for all their plans for the first month.

Anyone interested in changing Host Providers, or, just starting out, should look at BOTH these websites.:)

DISCLAIMER:

I DO NOT get any monetary "kick back" (compensation) for recommending anyone to the website of either Host Provider mentioned above;

nor do I receive any other "consideration" for recommending them.;)

do you have a recomandation for me?

Can you recomand me another host provider?

devgames:

To whom are you addressing here for the recommendation?

I can of course, but I do not want to offend anyone here by jumping in and assuming you would like ME to recommend a Hosting provider - when possibly you are referring to one of the other persons above.

But since your host supplied certificate is probably not generated via a real Certificate Authority (Sectigo for example)....Your site may not be as trusted as it could be.

My cPanel autogenerates certificates but thats essentially just a self-signed certificate.

I believe the SSL Certificate I get from my Hosting Provider is. I will, however, check this out when I start up my new website (soon).

However, while on this particular issue of SSL Certificates, it is of course possible to upgrade (or from the get-go) to purchase an SSL Certificate that has all the "bells and whistles". And of course the price goes up accordingly. So again, thus, we're back to what SoftCreatR said in the #3 post above.

But for me, I am satisfied if the particular Certificate I use indicates to the visitor or member of my forum/website that the site is valid and that the "https" designation is actually real.

And keep in mind that, different Browsers treat (act upon) the various SSL Certificates available, in different ways.

In order to make sure that the SSL Certificate one has installed on his/her website, can handle (cope with) all the variations, it stands to reason that

the cost of that particular SSL Certificate is going to have a higher cost.

My guess or opinion is, it all depends upon what the individual website owner is trying to achieve.

For me, what I said above in paragraph 3, is good enough for me.

For someone else, it may very well not be enough.

Interesting comments from devgames and SoftCreatR

Well, whoever is the "biggest" Hosting Provider in the world doesn't necessarily mean they would be the "best", does it?

For me, I go by my own experience with the Hosting Provider, and that includes the following:

1) How many details do they give you regarding their individual Hosting Plans,?

I mean, do they lay it ALL out straight-forward, or does one have to drag it out of them bit by bit/feature by feature?

Do they offer VPS Hosting AND Dedicated Hosting besides Shared Hosting?

2) Do they offer cPanel without charging extra for it?

3) Where are their servers located?

And does the customer have a choice in choosing where the server is located of which his/her account will be linked up with?

4) If the customer needs assistance with some problem that comes up is their Tech Department easy to connect to - either via phone, email, or chat?

And how long does one have to wait for a reply once they know of your problem or question?

5) Are they willing (within reason of course) to step away from the usual "policy":

"We don't deal with any problem or question you (the customer) may have that involves 3rd party developers "

*6) Do they offer Privacy Registration at the time the customer purchases the Domain Name, AND, do they make sure the purchase of BOTH are done (transacted) at the same time?

Surprising how many Hosting Providers DO NOT!

And if you are one of those persons that believes keeping Bots and/or actual people ("trouble makers at large") from flooding your new Website, Forum, or Blog with non-sense and trash or do worse things than that, then #6 here is extremely important.

7) When it comes to the 'trouble makers', is the Hosting Provider willing to show you steps to take that you may not know about, OR, of which you may not know how to implement via .htaccess - or perhaps even something else - of which would be of help to you?

8 Does your Hosting Provider provide you (with your current Hosting Plan) unlimited Band Width and other important considerations which, if the answer is no to any of them, it may result in YOU getting charged EXTRA if for some reason your website got hit with so much deliberate negative imposed traffic that your Hosting Plan limits became exceeded?

There probably are additional things to consider when deciding which Hosting provider to choose for your website, but the above I have - through experience - learned to look for!

UPDATE - ADDITIONAL INFO/COMMENT

*Regarding what I said in #6 above, this is the one disappointment I have with the Hosting Provider I use (https://www.247-host.com/vps.htm) -

but nothing in this world is 100% perfect!

However I have a way of working around this one slight obstacle:

1) I go to my favorite Domain Name Registrar (which is Enom . com).

There I purchase my Domain Names, and I also purchase ID Protect at the same time for each Domain Name I purchase.

The cost is quite reasonable for both.

2) Then I go to 247-Host and select/purchase whichever Hosting Plan I want.

After that is purchased and confirmed, the Tech Department and the Sales Dept. send me Emails regarding my purchase.

3) I look for the info I need to make a change in the Nameservers - so that they can be pointed to my Hosting Provider.

4) I go back to Enom and make the change.

All of this takes only 15 to 20 minutes at most.

Should you have difficulty in knowing exactly what to do (in changing the Nameservers and where to go within the Enom website for this purpose), there is a posted phone number on the Enom website to call for technical help. Very convenient.

my hoster is OVH. someone else have same problem with them?

I never heard of OVH - so I looked it up in Google Search, found the listing for them, and then logged onto their website.

Although I was able to get into their website in a reasonable length of time, when I clicked on links within their website, the page or pages would not come up; the main OVH page I was on when I clicked on those other links, would just "sit" there.

Not sure what is causing this (but I know it is not due to the fault of my ISP because I have a connection speed of100) - but for me at least this experience does not inspire confidence in OVH.:rolleyes:

That's what they suggest, for sure. Because that's how they make money ;) A seller for SSL certificates will most likely suggest to get a paid certificate, instead of generating your own using Let's Encrypt... :)

Yes, of course you are correct; it's all about the "money".

As for the SSL Cerificate issue, the Hosting Provider I use supplies an SSL Certificate free of cost (and which is renewed every year for free) -

if a VPS Hosting Package is purchased (which I do anyway).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR ABOVE POST #1:

In looking over a particular Domain Registrar which is reportedly the largest Domain Name Seller and Registrar (Domain . com), they have some interesting comments regarding the choosing of certain Domain Names for the purpose of achieving better site traffic to one's website.

Primarily, their opinion is that purchasing a Premium Domain Name can be preferable over choosing one that has never been created or used before by anyone.

One big drawback however is the initial cost of such Domain Names!

I looked at some of them that might have worked well for me in my newest forum/website project.

The cost? The average price range was anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000 USD. And some, believe it or not, were as high as $50,000 plus!:rolleyes:

After being "away" (e.g., taking a break from engaging in most activity regarding forums - mine included) I decided to go back over my "watched threads" list here at Woltlab Forums; and that was a good thing because it has given me an opportunity to look at past topics and discussions (and my responses) in a new and refreshed "light".

Ellionator - I like what you had to say in #'s 1 and 2. I think you have correctly identified the "king pin" to a establishing a successful forum.

I would add here that I personally believe there can be at least one addition made to those two points you made - I will elaborate further on herewith. But first I would also make some observations regarding the area of "competition" - that being Social Media. Actually, it is in the truest since not a competition but rather a distraction!

Unless Facebook and Twitter implode sometime in the future, those of us who like forums (and also do not believe 'forums are dead' - as a few persons have stated) will just have to accept the fact social media is a "force" that must be recognized, but also understood as to why it attracts many people.

1) Social Media - like Facebook for a prime example - attracts most people because they don't really have to think for themselves - especially when it comes to forming new ideas and making independent, unique decisions entirely on their own. Instead, there is this built-in ready-made social response "formula" that enables their participation without having to make any extensive and well thought out contributions.

[One person here on Woltlab Forum said it quite well I think: Most Facebook users are mindless robots trolling along like sheep; or, sheep being herded over the cliffs - and gladly to so.

2) And Twitter ... well here we have a bunch of people who engage in quick spurts of "tweets" without any thought as to what the consequences of

their tweets may lead to. Most couldn't care less - even those in "high places"! And as for actually engaging in any unique, thought-provoking one-on-one discussions of a complex or comprehensive subject with someone else ........... well, that not only didn't cross their consciousness, many also wouldn't know where to begin in taking part in subjects and discussions which require not only concentration of serous thought beyond a few seconds, but which also requires thoughtful, purposeful direction of the thought processes.

Now for that "one addition" I mentioned I would include here:

From my experience with interaction on Forums - and I have been a member of various types/formats of forums - from highly technical to the "adult" sites - there is one element that many (but NOT all) Forum Administrators who actually under-cut their own success regarding making their forum attractive to a wide audience. And when I say this, I am fairly sure I am going to ruffle a few "feathers" here, but I am going to say it anyway:

1) For some illogical reason, many (but NOT all) forum administrators have an unbending, unreasonable opinion (and with it the implementation thereof) that allowing a Forum Member to refer to, AND / OR include a LINK to, a blog, forum, or a website they are also an administrator of.

Why alienate, restrict, and suppress a Member's activity simply because that person offers something that someone else (another forum member) may be interested in? What is the Administrator afraid of? Such a narrow minded approach is foolish at best, but worse, it is also self-defeating.

I would appreciate ideas, comments, and/or suggestions from anyone who can offer what may possibly be the best way to get a forum / website to appear in the Search Engines.

Trying to accomplish a high (or higher) ranking for one's forum / website in order to attract more potential Visitors (and who hopefully will become members) can be a very frustrating and often times consuming task without satisfactory results.

Many people apparently seem to rely upon optimizing the Google "settings" - and Forum Software Developers (including Woltlab) have set up a process to set up and implement Google.

But relying upon Google (at least for some types of particular forum / website content) can be an exercise in futility because Google has a rather nasty habit of "downplaying" or ignoring (not recognizing) those websites it doesn't like.

And social media sites like Twitter and Facebook are even more "troublesome" in this regard - (Even Mark Zuckerberg's co-founder in a recent interview with the news media said as much regarding Facebook.

As for Twitter, they often engaged in"shadow banning" of those Blog, Forums, and Websites they don't approve of.

So - unless I am leaving out some alternative here unknown to myself - that leaves a person to invest time and effort (and in some situations money) in the remaining alternatives:

Listing one's website with those service providers who specialize in promoting websites via "manual listing" of various search engines - not just Google; advertising one's website on their website; or through a combination of the aforementioned together with Banner Advertising (on various "promotional websites" which accept promotion of other websites if they meet their criterion).

I have been trying to input the public and private keys for recaptcha v2 in my admin panel, but I keep getting the following error where the recaptcha is supposed to be on the registration page: ERROR for site owner: Invalid site key

I have checked and double checked the numbers, but nothing seems to fix this issue. I even attempted to register a site in recaptcha for the invisible recaptcha, but I get the same error.

When I had my last forum acive - using version 3.0.x - I also encountered this problem.

Attention Alexander Ebert: When version 3.2 is released, will we still encounter this problem as described by "kiloseven"?