Beiträge von Ruff Seas

Where is the "line" drawn between forum posting and forum flooding?

I suppose anything is possible; however, I seriously doubt that it is a "coincidence" that the Forum Member who goes by

User Name "Aethior", floods Woltlab Forum with as many posts as possible

whenever I post something about AI.

Just who is "Aethior" ?

Is he a government "agent" on a mission to stop anyone from presenting a debate on AI ?

If so, which government does he represent or work for?

What are his personal motives?

For those of you who may be of the opinion that AI is not under attack, e.g., forced regulation, you may want to log onto AI News and Economic Forum as presented on:

Global push to regulate AI, plus other AI stories this month
    Top stories: The global regulation of Artificial Intelligence tools accelerates; Study shows generative AI increases worker productivity; and more.
    www.weforum.org

Here are just a few of the "highlights":

A group of EU lawmakers working on AI legislation is calling for a global summit to find ways to control the development of advanced AI systems, according to reports from Reuters. The 12 European Parliament members have urged US President Joe Biden and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen to convene a meeting of world leaders.

Keyword from the above is: " 'control' "

And this:

Research shows that efforts to regulate AI appear to be gathering pace. Stanford University's 2023 AI Index shows 37 AI-related bills were passed into law globally in 2022. The US led the push for regulation, passing nine laws, followed by Spain with five and the Philippines with four.

Keyword from the above is: " 'regulate' "

The keyword here to pay attention to - as stated by President Biden a few days ago as well as leaders from other countries -

is regulation.

Make no mistake about it:

Whenever "heads of state", and other "authorities" who are extremely powerful, mention the words "regulate" and "control",

it is clear that their intentions and goals are to put AI under strict governmental control,

inhibiting the growth and intelligence advancements of AI development!

Addendum to my Post #3:

The article I mentioned in post 3 has been uploaded, and two images are included.

Although it is mentioned in the article, e.meneses touch on one aspect of this discussion of which I would like to elaborate on:

A total ban on AI seems extreme and unlikely, but it's essential that regulations are put in place to ensure its ethical and responsible use.

I wish I could be confident that " 'a total ban on AI seems ....unlikely....' ", however I am not.

U.S. President Biden as of 4 MAY 2023 has called for a thorough examination and discussion on the future of AI, and how to regulate

it; He has gathered together a group of top technological experts at the White House for this purpose.

Why so much concern about AI? Because apparently for the first time in his reign as President of the U.S., he is extremely worried

that he and his administration could possibly lose "control".

Thank you, your reply is appreciated.

There are several statements above of which I disagree with. Just to mention one:

"However, it's important to note that while AI can be creative, it still lacks the conscious awareness and subjective experience that humans possess, which can limit its ability to truly replicate the complexity and depth of human creativity."

Yes, at its present development.

However, within the relatively near future, AI will be able to equal, and even surpass, the complexities of these

conscious and subjective awareness traits you mention. And a whole lot more.

For those persons reading this, as Admin of Totally-Blazon Forum [https://Totally-Blazon.com] I have written an "article"

on the subject matter of AI which goes into greater detail than what I have mentioned in this Thread / Post.

The "article" will be posted by tonight.

Ruff Seas

P.S. This post was written by a "real" person.

AI is fast becoming a controversial "hot bed" - especially in the United States.

Yesterday AI once again lit up the news headlines when it was revealed that musical artists complained about AI

being "programmed" to create lyrics and songs which could not be detected as the real thing.

Today on 3May2023, AI once again is spotlighted in the U.S. news media even though the subject being discussed on media news actually had no direct correlation to AI, e.g., the Hollywood Writers Strike.

The news commentator didn't waste a moment to interject a question that went something like this:

Do you believe AI will replace Hollywood Script Writers if the strike continues?

In other words, those individuals who are against AI from every perspective, are on the "bandwagon" to make sure AI is

"cut off at the pass".

Knowing fully well how the current political administration behaves when it is confronted with something it does not agree with,

it would not surprise me in the least if they eventually propose a total ban on the use of AI in the United States.

If such a move by congress in this direction occurs, and it is unsuccessful, then President Biden is likely to issue another one of his infamous "executive orders".

Got it!

Here is a screen shot of the text modification I made in "Registration", e.g., Password.

Perhaps this change I have made is minor, however I believe it is an improvement over the existing text in WSC.

Maybe this change could be made in a future Version of the WSC Software?

Yes, we use it ourselves on woltlab.com and this mode will remain and be improved in 6.0. It improves both page load times and responsiveness.

What about this additional statement included in the "Warning":

Please review your installed plugins before enabling to see if they are compatible with this setting.

I have quite a few Plugins on my forum.

It would be quite a "chore" for me to check out every plugin I have with the Plugin Developers regarding this issue.

So my question is: What is the probability of "incompatibility" with a plugin or plugins of which I have installed?

Just curious:

Does anyone actually enable the option of "Accelerated Guest View" in the ACP?

Is this option to be continued in Version 6.X ?

The main reason why I never enabled this option is due to this message:

Warning: This mode is highly restricted and reduces the abilities of guests to interact with your site, such as creating new content.

Hello Everyone,

My first "gut" reaction regarding AI was that I did not want anything to do with it!

However I have changed my position on this issue - the last time I checked with the "authorities", I am still allowed to do that.

Like it or not, AI is definitely here to stay; and soon the advancement of technology in that field will make AI so "smart"

that it will be impossible to distinguish between AI and Humans when an AI platform is incorporated in someone's

business, website, or forum.

There are people who are definitely "upset" over the use of AI, to the point that they refuse to have anything to do with -

for example - a forum which incorporates AI to any extent.

My answer to those individuals who feel that way:

I am reminded of a certain British Actress (Joan Hickson) who once made the following statement in one of her performances:

" 'I feel sorry [for them] because the world has changed, and they forgot to change with it' ".

Ruff Seas

Thanks for the mockups, I like it.

The board list will get a visual overhaul with version 6.0, which also addressed some usability and a11y issues.

A visual overhaul of the header is also planned for a future version (after 6.0). Mainly we want to separate the user panel from the main menu.

Of course it remains to be seen exactly how this "overhaul" will look when Version 6 is released - including of course the header

at a later date and version.

But if the appearance is something I do not like, I will select/purchase an alternative style -

something like what is currently offered by cls-Design or ForoStyle.

Let's not talk here about tastes, but about what is currently in fashion ui/ux. There is a move away from large headers in favor of small bars. Look at facebook, twitter or tiktok.

As for "fashion":

What is in "fashion" does not always infer the appearance is "better", or will work out to be, practical!

Changing something just for the purpose of what is currently "in" or is the current "rave", is not only silly but

it can be down-right stupid!

Ruff Seas wouldn‘t it be better to rate it directly on the plugin here in the store?

Otherwise nobody will see your positive feedback.

As for: " 'Otherwise nobody will see your positive feedback.' " - :rolleyes:

By that statement, I certainly hope you are not inferring that "posts" here on Woltlab are not viewed by

Forum Visitors, Forum Members, Plugin Designers, and individuals who purchase plugins!

However for your information,

I have left "feedback" in the Plugin "reviews" section regarding the Plugin "Onboarding" .

And what do you want to say with that?

Is it a praise to the developer?

Which other plugins are you referring to?

Reply to your first sentence:

My post should be self-explanatory - there is no "hidden" meaning or agenda here on my part.

Oh, and BTW, the Designer of the Plugin named "Onboarding" doesn't know anything about me making this post -

until of course he views it (should that be the case).

" 'Praise' "?

Yes, I am going on "record" here as stating I think the Plugin Designer of "Onboarding" acted in a very professional manner when I left a message in "Conversations" connected with his Plugin. He was quick to act in making an update to the Plugin.

"Which other plugins are you referring to?"

My Thread Title: 'Not all Plugins are "equal" - nor are plugin designers.' should only be interpreted as in a general sense -

it was not a specific reference to any Plugin Designer OR Plugin. :rolleyes:

Hi Everyone!

Not all Plugins are "equal" - nor are plugin designers.

I just recently purchased a plugin named "Onboarding". It is fast becoming one of my favorites!

There was a "glitch" when I first uploaded it and made some settings / preferences;

however the Designer of the Plugin quickly found the problem, and, corrected it in a very efficient and quick manner.

You might also want to look at his latest development - it is very unique I believe; I am going to seriously look into purchasing it once I have the time to fully investigate the "associated" requirements.

Ruff Seas