Posts by Ruff Seas

So why don't you just test it out with another "demo account" added on your forum.

For your information, my reply (of which the "text" immediately below has already been stated in Post 16) is :

'I will wait until Version 5.2 of Woltlab Forum Software is available before taking any further action on this issue of Articles.'

The Woltlab Developers must have had a logical reason for upgrading "Articles" in Version 5.2 of the Woltlab Forum Software.

I am comfortable in waiting for that upgraded Version to be made available.;)

Simply by not granting them any of the other admin permissions.

Just think of the forums, just because somebody is registered doesn't mean that person can magically delete posts and threads. Permissions control the ability of each user and especially the admin panel has an enourmous amount of restrictions set up, just for this purpose.

*I will assume you are 100 % correct - until proven otherwise.

However, despite your re-assurance to all of us that it is safe to allow an individual access to the ACP for the purpose of posting content

to ARTICLES, I remain a bit "uneasy" about the procedure.

It is not uncommon for "hackers" to gain access to "sensitive areas" of a computer or computer program - it happens all too frequently in the

'real world'; not just with the average Joe, but with military and government sites too.

Just by allowing / setting up one simple ACP access command (as is being discussed in this Thread) could possibly give the needed edge

the hacker would love to have, eh?

I have no burning desire to give unknowingly anyone even the remote possibility that, given an "inch", they can take a "mile".

I will wait until Version 5.2 of Woltlab Forum Software is available before taking any further action on this issue of Articles.

*I truly, honestly hope that it is never 'proven otherwise' - for the good of us all; and that of course includes Woltlab.

How can you give users access to your ACP and the ability to submit articles without them being able to change anything else?

An excellent question!

That's incorrect, users can actually be granted the permission to submit articles.

Can contribute articles controls the ability to submit them, which needs to be paired with the permission Can access Administration Control Panel, because articles can only be created through the admin panel in WSC 3.0/3.1 (the upcoming 5.2 adds the forms to the frontend). Please keep in mind that the general permission to access the admin panel by itself is not a security risk, because you still limit what the users can do in the admin panel.

Alexander Ebert: After thinking this subject over more carefully today, I must admit the mere thought of anyone getting access to the ACP

to any degree - especially with regards to individuals coming to my forum whom I know absolutely nothing about -

scares the "living daylights" out of me!

So unless you can explain this issue of "limited ACP access" in terms that are more reassuring to me, the upcoming Version 5.2

(with regard to Articles) is probably the best way to proceed.

That's incorrect, users can actually be granted the permission to submit articles.

Can contribute articles controls the ability to submit them, which needs to be paired with the permission Can access Administration Control Panel, because articles can only be created through the admin panel in WSC 3.0/3.1 (the upcoming 5.2 adds the forms to the frontend). Please keep in mind that the general permission to access the admin panel by itself is not a security risk, because you still limit what the users can do in the admin panel.

This is information I, too, find helpful with regard to developing / setting up my Forum.

And I especially like: " ... (the upcoming 5.2 adds the forms to the frontend)."

Yet another reason to upgrade to Version 5.2 when the time comes for me to do so.;)

I remember what your Woltlab site was based on. I did not judge you for having an opposing viewpoint of my own and I am more than willing to allow you to live your own life. That being said. When you hijack my thread and quote me like YOU are judging me for how I phrased my question (For which I was trying to make my community more inclusive), that proves my point exactly.

Judging by what you stated in your reply to me personally - part of which is quoted above - it is apparently obvious that you think I targeted you directly and on purpose when I replied to your Thread herein.

You are sadly mistaken.

However, I believe everything that happens is for a purpose;

and with that in mind I can truthfully say your response to me has positively created and established for me a reason to add an addition to my current forum Categories.

Even though I have had in the past - and at present time as well - Forums which deal with controversial issues and subjects of discussion, I must admit this is an issue, e.g., the use of other gender pronouns, of which I have entirely overlooked.

As for:  " ..... I know what happens if you are not accepting of people of ANY choice .... "

What happens???

You needn't answer that question if you feel it unwise to answer.

However for myself, I may or may not make changes in the forum software to accommodate a few individuals who might come to my forum and expecting there to be "gender modifications" made so that they can be "show-cased" as being "different" in how they present themselves or who they want to be recognized as - which in all realty, is pure bullshit.

But if I do make the changes (as it would appear you will be doing so on your forums, kbarg), I will do so because I want to and not because I am threatened or forced to do so by someone who thinks society owes them "special" consideration.:rolleyes:

It's a pity that there isn't a way to do it with the current version.

Yes PJK; however IF everything were to be included, fixed, and/or corrected in Version 5.1, then the Woltlab Developers would not have to design another version. And that would lead to less money earned from selling new versions; and that would lead to .... well, you get the idea. It is called: CAPITALISM.

It's in the ACP -> Configuration -> Users -> Registration. Set Force login (Visitors are required to log-in themselves to access the page.) to Yes.

EDIT: Oops, a little too slow :)

Thanks TheSonic for including WHERE the correction or solution is located; in this case in the ACP as you mentioned!

Thank you Dukemaster for taking the time to share this information to all of us who regularly look over these Threads and Posts here on the Woltlab Forum.

There is something else I would like to add - and perhaps you have already noticed it:

There are several places throughout the Forum Software a repeated sentence that bugs me - bugs me because of several reasons, one being that no one apparently noticed it OR did not tell the Woltlab Developers about it, OR they failed to make a correction; and secondly, because for us English speaking / reading individuals of the old school were taught that it was not proper English.

To which sentence am I referring to?

This: "There are not any items at the moment"

It should read: "There are no items at the moment" OR, "There are no items available to read at the moment"

Customer

I have inserted the html for a self hosted video by enabling html in the Admin permissions tab.

The video and its poster load just fine and play.
    But, I seem to be unable to display any text beneath the video, yet I can display text above the inserted video.

I am NOT sure this is what you need, but perhaps you may want to try it.

If it doesn't work out correctly for you, you can just delete it.

CSS Code:

boxesSidebarRight .boxWithImage {

display: flex;

flex-direction: column;

> .boxTitle {

margin-bottom: 10px;

order: -1;

}

> .boxImage {

margin-bottom: 10px;

}

> .boxContent {

margin-top: 0;

}

}

If I decide to keep this notice and just alter the wording, where would I find this page ?
    Like I say, I have disabled everything that I could find and still popped up until I disabled it in the modules section.

Hello BillM8,

Because at the current time I do not have my forum (using Version 5.1) up and running, I will let SoftCreatR or one of the Woltlab Designers answer your question because I don't want to be "guessing" at the answer and thereby leading you to the wrong area.

Hello BillMB,

I also have thought about this - deleting it or perhaps putting in the Footer my own Title: "COOKIES". (Read what I said below)

You can simply disable it in the modules section in the ACP. But please note, that you may be required to show this information, depending on your local laws.

I understand that deleting this altogether could possibly cause some legal problems.

However, instead of "deleting" :

"This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies."

Perhaps that sentence content could be made shorter by replacing it with one's own Footer notation: "COOKIES".

And the explanation content explaining "use of cookies" edited in such a manner as to make the content much shorter but still cover oneself legally ?

What do you think, SoftCreatR?

Regardless or ease or repercussions, it shouldn't be done unless you pay for the removal. That branding is one way WoltLab makes new sales.

I fully agree.

What leads to a person desiring the removal of the Woltlab Brand?

For me, I have no desire to remove the Woltlab Brand - on any of their products/software; Even if they charged only $1.00 USD for doing so!

Somehow, it just seems that those individuals who want to remove the brand are "afraid" of something.....

Perhaps they believe their members OR visitors to their forum/website site are going to click on the Woltlab Name and not come back to their website/forum? Or???

If that is the case, then they should be more concerned about what they can do to improve their own forum/website content rather than worrying about someone clicking on the "Woltlab" Brand link.

And if their reason for eliminating the Woltlab Brand should be something devious, or even criminal, shame on them.

The preferred version is the newest version that supports all your apps and plugins. Apps and plugins from us will support PHP 7.3 just fine!

Hello Tim Düsterhus,

At the present time my Hosting Provider has the PHP set at 7.1

Thus regarding what you stated in your response to me in Post #5, do you think I should have them change the setting to PHP Version 7.3?

I haven't as yet purchased an install from Woltlab for uploading Version 5.1 to my website (I intend to do this on or about July 1st)

so if I should have the PHP setting changed FROM 7.1 TO 7.3, now would probably be the time to have the change made.

Hello everyone!

I'm encountering an error whenever I try to uninstall any package and can't really understand why.

Hello SupaHigher,

I may be mistaken, however I seem to recall Alexander Ebert stating that the preferred PHP Version to use is 7.1; additionally, using version 7.2 OR 7.3 can lead to various problems with various apps and plugins - among other problems as well.

Even on the PHP website they say to use Version 7.1 (and they further identify this version by stating it as 7.1.30)

If you continue to have a problem with uninstalling packages perhaps you should open a support ticket with Woltlab ...;)

The install seems to fail because of this part here in the error log. I have tried this morning dropping down to PHP 7.0 version and still the same problem to rule out it wasn't a PHP 7.2 thing causing it.

Have you opened a support ticket? One of the Woltlab Team should be able to give you a definite answer and a solution.

Question: When you say: "I have tried this morning dropping down to PHP 7.0 version .... "

exactly how did you proceed with this? I mean, did you just log into your control panel and change the PHP Version number, OR, did you have your Hosting Provider make the change for you from their end?

The reason I ask is, there is a difference between those two procedures - and depending upon your Hosting provider, it can be a huge difference.

Hello GTB,

I noticed you are using PHP 7.2.19

Somewhere here on Woltlab I thought I had read something about there being problems (of various sorts) by using PHP Versions above 7.1.x

Do you think possibly this could be your problem?

The main website of PHP recomends using Version 7.1.30 - as it is the latest Version (30 May 2019) - as the only fully supported version of PHP currently available.