Posts by akotalik

Ok so you can search for threads with same tags by clicking on the tag, but wouldn't it be better if the default search box on the top also gave you as a result threads with that word in a tag? Because that word might not be actually written anywhere in the actual text. It would be great for searching threads on the same topic

Hi, I have been using wbb3, while I am no expert, I was able to place advertisements pretty much anywhere I wanted in the 3, but the template system in 4 kinda confuses me, why are some the same as the ones in wbb3 and some have wbb_ in front of them? These seem new to me. I know one is for burning board and one for wcf, but still. For example, I was like completely unable to get an ad to show up by placing it in the header template, although I tried the same things that worked in wbb3.

I think a great idea would be to write an idiot-proof step-by-step tutorial on placing ads in wbb4. Just a suggestion

Hi can I ask one more thing, I am not sure how banning/ deleting users works. I mean if I ban or delete someone, does it also ban their IP address or can they just go ahead and make a new account? Is there a way to ban IP's? Thanks

Hi, this might sound stupid but while deleting some spam users, I must have disabled admin rights for myself, now I cannot get into ACP with my admin account, it is not banned, I can still log into it in the forum and make threads, but the administration tab under my account is gone. I cannot find the admin rights in any SQL tables, can anyone help?

Thanks

Ok I moved it to Hawk Host, I heard great things about them and could not find any bad reviews online, they are not as big as fatcow or hostgator, which is a good thing I guess, they supposedly do not oversell servers. They do not claim to be "unlimited", but hostgator or fatcow are not unlimited too, the only thing unlimited is the amount of bull**** you will get from the support when your site is running slow. Anyway, if they suck too I have 30 days to get my money back, which is what I did with fatcow :D

Hi I am looking for a good host for my forum in the US (east) I know people here are mostly from Europe, but I just wanted to see if anyone has any tips. Looking for a linux server (idk what else my criteria should be?) Currently I am with Fatcow and it is sh*t. Would you recommend VPS or shared or cloud? I really don't know, cloud seems quite interesting and ok price.

Hi i want to ask if it is possible to disable breadcrumbs on all pages. I just added some custom pages for easier navigation, but obviously breadcrumbs will not reflect that. I dont know if there is any way except rewriting all templates, which i do not want to do. Thanks

Nice, that was the issue. I asked them to raise it to 128 and it works again. Thanks a lot Alex, if you ever get to American Midwest, I probably owe you a beer for all your help :D

Yeah I got that, but I think the problem is me- I don't know where to look :D I have the CGI error log in my fatcow control panel, but it is empty. The normal log does not contain any errors

Well this is all I got from it, unless I am looking in a wrong place (which is entirely possible, sorry)

Error 330 (net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED): Unknown error.

Sorry to bother you so much :)

Hi, over the past 2 days I imported around 3000 forums, after I exceeded 1000 the Show Forums (content->forums->show forums) started acting up, whenever i clicked Submit on that page (after changing order or something) it would log me out and not do the changes. Still, no big deal as I can just go in and change them individually. But now when I have 3000 forums, the Show Forums page just crashes, does not show anything, Internal Server Error.

Now I can't really modify the forums that I already have, I can still make new forums forums and everything else works, it is just this one page in ACP.

I think this is the error ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED

Thanks for your help!

Ok so let's see if I got this straight:

1) create 1k threads in wbb1_1_post
    2) create 1k polls in wcf1_poll
    3) create 2k poll options in wcf1_poll_option
    4) link each of the 1k threads to a pollID

No worries. That's good it is like that in WBB4, because I wish Position was in the same table, that way I could do it all in one step.

I have one more question, right now I have over a 1000 professor forums, I would like to add a Poll Thread (so that people can give thumbs up or thumbs down to the professor) to each one- obviously I am not going to do it manually, I looked into the SQL tables and it seems to me that I cannot do it by just importing into them- I don't think the counters would work, or maybe there would be other problems- it has to be a thread, new post, it has to have its own counter etc, so it needs to be present in many tables, right?

Can you think of a fast way to include some poll into each of these forums? I know you mentioned some other way when we talked about creating the forums, I don't think I quite got that.

Well that is where I was looking before posting here, but it's not there- there are sortField, sortOrder and postSortOrder. I assume these are for Sorting of threads, Sort order of threads and Sort order of posts respectively.
    This is from my wbb1_1_board

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `wbb1_1_board`;
    CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `wbb1_1_board` (
    `boardID` int(10) NOT NULL auto_increment,
    `parentID` int(10) NOT NULL default '0',
    `title` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
    `description` mediumtext,
    `allowDescriptionHtml` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',
    `boardType` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',
    `image` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
    `imageNew` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
    `imageShowAsBackground` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '1',
    `imageBackgroundRepeat` enum('no-repeat','repeat-y','repeat-x','repeat') NOT NULL default 'no-repeat',
    `externalURL` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
    `time` int(10) NOT NULL default '0',
    `prefixes` mediumtext,
    `prefixRequired` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',
    `prefixMode` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',
    `styleID` int(10) NOT NULL default '0',
    `enforceStyle` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',
    `daysPrune` smallint(5) NOT NULL default '0',
    `sortField` varchar(20) NOT NULL default '',
    `sortOrder` varchar(4) NOT NULL default '',
    `postSortOrder` varchar(4) NOT NULL default '',
    `isClosed` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',