Posts by Garma

There are some pretty bold statements in this thread.

But for me, I want to customise my site, as I want it.

You have the possibility to do that. There's a template editor, a style editor and some other things. Is it the fact that you have to learn something, that prevents you from doing it? To me you just sound like you want to adjust everything and preferably with a click in the acp. This isn't ever going to work out. I know no single software where you can do just about anything without having to learn some HTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP (depending on what you want to do). I mean, if that was the case then software developers like me would have less jobs ...

And also: Excessive customizing options bloat a software up quickly. Which, in turn, makes it more prone to errors, it makes a software slower and also it decreases the usability.

Facebook has 2 billion users.

Camparing you to Facebook will probably lead to nothing. Facebook is a generic site for everyone, a forum is not. A forum is limited by its subject. Also Facebook has a shitton of money and developers (at least Zuckerberg didn't come up with the idea of just using a cms and then complaining that he can't customize everything), something you probably will never have. Facebook does not have 2 billion users because it's "user-friendly", it's big because of so many different reasons. Personally I'm comfortable with the idea of a forum being different than a social network. I don't want users who just want to shitpost something real quick and then leave. A forum is centered towards making users stay and actively taking part in discussions.

Now to your initial question. You can style the editor toolbar with some simple CSS (it's not even much). And you can disable BB codes that you don't need (that also removes the icon from the toolbar). You don't even need to learn CSS to full extent but a basic understanding is enough. And this is something every administrator should be able to do. It has always been this way and it probably will stay that way for a long time.

If this feature ever gets implemented I will switch the software. "Super administrators" are bad software design and should never ever exist.

• Super administrators grant no additional security. A super administrator account is as likely to be "hacked" as a "normal" administrator account
    • Super administrators are usually bound to a specific user ID. That makes the whole concept rather inflexible and not really user-friendly
    • There are cases where you want administrators to be able to manage other administrators (I personally have that in my forum) and the concept of a super administrator kinda destroys this. The workaround is to make every administrator a super administrator ... but then what purpose does a super administrator serve?

Many years ago a lot of software used to have such super administrators. But let's be real: It just makes everything more complicated and serves no real purpose. I have never needed a super administrator in the last 7 years and I'm fully positive that a lot of other people feel the same way.

There isn't really a good way to prevent being locked out.

It is my site and I should not be locked out if, ever, for any reason.

Yeah ... and how does the software know it's you? The software recognizes you as an administrator after you have successfully logged in. But entering your username could be anybody. That's the thing. The software would need to know that you are logging in before you are even logged in. Do you see where the problem lies?

I think you need to set the graphics library to "ImageMagick" in the ACP unter System -> Options -> General -> System. But make sure ImageMagick is available on your system, otherwise it will default to GD.

Why should they get connected to a framework instead of the plugin?

The language files do (and can) not contain the ID of the package they belong to. This isn't feasible from the technical side. They only contain instructions to add variables. So when you extract a language file afterwards and import it, the language variables are simply assigned to the WCF because they cannot know the ID of the package in your installation. I don't know if this causes any disadvantages, the only one I know is that language variables stay if you deinstall the package because they are not propertly assigned. But I think that's something you can live with : |

iptables fails sometime

iptables never fails. If you add a rule to your INPUT chain like

Code
    iptables -A INPUT -s IP/netmask -j DROP

you will never see connections from that ip again. You can even use the netmask to ban a range of ips from a specific network. There is no need to rely on your webserver to block IPs. First of all the IP is only blocked from your webserver (and not other services they could possibly attack) and also if the attacker approaches to your webserver he is already "too far". You have to block connections on a network layer, not application layer. You should really really use iptables over anything else if you have root access to a server.

(imagemagick is available almost nowhere) raises the memory issues I have noted above

Can't you just check whether ImageMagick is enabled in ACP (and available in php ofc) and then scale gifs the correct way so they are still animated? Users who rely on GD will get the non-animated image while users who have enabled ImageMagick get the animated image.

Well there is a limit ... at some point you wont be able to click on the spoiler button anymore because he's not visible anymore. :P