Posts by Geronimo

I can understand that, but one would or should want proper grammar in both languages, not just one with wonky, improper grammar, and then leave the other guys hanging and suffering with improper grammar. I guess I can't figure out why anyone in the right mind is perfectly fine and happy with bad/improper grammar usage in their language of choice (this case being the German one). Surely the grammar can be made proper in both, mean the same things in both, and please both.

It's probably rather pointless to suggest single phrases in single languages. The user interface should be most of all consistent. I prefer the current well known structure. First a crisp description, this can be a sentence, but in most cases some words are perfectly good, and then the possible values (e.g. 'Minimum delay between creation of two consecutive posts in the same thread. [time in minutes, -1 for infinite]').

You can't expect new customers / English customers to use funny and silly as words like "Undone/Done" for thread marking. Most commonly used ones are "Resolved/Unresolved" & "Solved/Unsolved". I'm not sure about "Finished/Unfinished" though, might work, might not. Lol. Or hell, just change the English language file only, not touching the de.xml at all, then you guys can keep and have the weird sounding stuff all to yourself... Lol

Many forums don't use just one language and most users dont's speak just one language. In order to work together this buildin features should mean the same independent from the used language. English is by far my worst. That's because I asked if it means something very similar or identic. Please keep this consideration in mind when suggesting new wording.

Bad translations, odd wording, and strange terms are very distracting and stop the flow in any language, and done" and "undone" let me tell you, are indeed that sort of words. In short, when translating meanings across different languages, it is always advisable using words that make sense in the target language and to its speakers, no matter what the original word is.

Sure. So solved means there's no need to post further contributions but doesn't suggest there is an satisfying answer or even any response? That's the meaning the green hook stands for.

You seem to be stuck in a loop, and aren't able to get out of the idea that there's a source language (German), and the translations to target languages must use words that convey literally the same meaning. I have already explained to you that languages do not translate literally from one another, and I'm not going to repeat myself.

The same could I say about you. This Feature has a fixed meaning, independent from the chosen language, which has to be expressed.

For example, in Italian they use the colloquial "ciao" for the informal hi and goodbye, where the difference is conveyed by the intonation. According to your logic, if I were to translate "ciao" literally from Italian to German I should use "hallo" which we know it's wrong. Of course that would be a mistake because, once again, you cannot translate words literally, thinking they carry the same meaning. So, that ciao will probably translate into a German word that convey similar meaning that makes sense to the reader in that language, and not you.

That's a poor comparison. We have a feature which enables us to tick off topics to show that the discussion has ended. Maybe each user has other ideas how it should be named, it may depend on the special use case in your forum, but there's a meaning that is intended completely independent from the used language. We need an english word, that means the same, not a better wording which means something like that but not exactly the same.

By the way, I see that you run a forum in German. Would it make sense to you if joined your board and started complaining that certain German words used there don't make sense when translated in English? And asked you to change them, maybe suggesting German words that I'd think more appropriate? Of course that would be completely inappropriate and silly on my part.

In my opinion you didn't get the meaning of this feature, perfectly described as 'erledigt' in german, otherwise you wouldn't suggest 'answered' or 'resolved'.

As I mentioned earlier, words in English may carry several meanings, with some that are more used and common than others. "Done" can be used as adverb to express when you are through (had enough) with something. As adjective and noun, "done" is used when a task has been performed or carried out, settled, completed. A thread that was never solved, resolved, or answered is hardly completed or settled.

But then done would be the right translation, because erledigt means the same in German and you can't change the meaning in only one language. I don't think erledigt is always the right word but the users get it if you explain how it is used in the specific (sub)forum.

You need to stop thinking that a word must necessarily be translated from your own language in order to make sense in another. This is a common mistake that all those who speak English as a second language do, including me. For instance, if I were to translate that same word from my own language I would want to use "undone," but I know that to be wrong and odd sounding in English.

On the other side englisch and german tanslation should mean the same. If a topic has this green hook this doesn't mean, that there's a approbriate answer or even a answer ever, because it can be set after some time automatically. It simply means you don't have to answer anymore. But solved seems to be a really good translation for me.