Posts by Alexander Ebert

We do not support push notifications at this time, but we do implement desktop notifications. The only difference is that a (background) tab of the site needs to be open in order to deliver the notifications.

Please disable Rocket Loader, it's broken beyond repair and flagged as "Beta" since its early days. It's known to break JavaScript by mixing up execution order and doing all sort of fancy snakeoil things, that don't really accomplish anything.

Is there a simple way to block bots and leave all the rest off?

No, and I will give zero advices in that direction. "Bots" is a very fuzzy term and one has to understand that these are not bad by definition, for instance, search engines use bots for legitimate reasons. Generally speaking, you should not make the mistake of blocking all sorts of things in advance, the chance for false positives is quite significant and you can always take actions when something doesn't behave as expected.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the WAF is of any actual use. I mean, their filters are much better than the average garbage offered by some webhosts, but in the end they're still some dumb filters that look for specific patterns. They also keep adding new rules regularly, but in the end I turn most of them off again, because they conflict with our site. For instance, it will detect SQL queries and such inside packages uploaded to the Plugin-Store (or the admin panel as in your case), which isn't exactly a problem.

I guess it boils down to the other software you're running on the same site, for example, WordPress would sure benefit from an additional protection layer, considering its terrible track record. I'm only leaving the WAF online because it blocks some annoying bots, some using custom rules that are a bit more complex.

We have just released new versions of our products:

• WoltLab Suite 5.2.1

Stability releases (also known as "minor releases") aim to solve existing problems in the current version. Like every stability release, they do not introduce new features; It is strongly recommended to apply these updates.

Performing System Updates

Open your Administration Control Panel and navigate to Configuration > Packages > List Packages. Please click on the button Search for Updates located in the right corner above the package list.

Notable Changes

The list below includes only significant changes, minor fixes or typos are generally left out.

WoltLab Suite Blog

• The search for items matching one or more tags could raise an error under certain circumstances.

WoltLab Suite Calendar

• The list of user events raised an exception if no user id was provided.
    • The year view incorrectly defaulted to 2019 rather than the current year.
    • Invalid date ranges will no longer cause an error in the event overlap check.
    • Repeated events were affected by an incorrect calculation of the end date.
    • The search for items matching one or more tags could raise an error under certain circumstances.

WoltLab Suite Filebase

• An incorrect number of purchased quantities was reported to customers of a file.
    • Approving a file attempted to remove non existent items in the moderation queue.
    • Rebuilding files and versions failed due to a pending query cursor.

WoltLab Suite Gallery

• Albums did not use the new masonry layout.

WoltLab Suite Forum

• Disallowing attachments for users caused an incorrect validation error.

WoltLab Suite Core

• An implicit limit caused the list of received reactions to be cut off.
    • The link recognition in messages performed incorrect operations on the message.
    • Captions for media items used as article images did not support HTML.
    • The teaser image of articles had not been used on the article list.
    • Removed an unintentional gap after a user was mentioned in a message.
    • Improved the upgrade process from WoltLab Suite 3.1, all steps during the Core upgrade are now idempotent.
    • The owner group now has always access to all user groups as intended.
    • MySQL 8 suffered from a serious bug that caused incorrect reports of the key definitions. For MySQL 8 only, we'll now require MySQL 8.0.14 or newer.

This is by design, there is (for whatever reasons) a technical difference between those two types, in particular if another language is added afterwards. Since both types are fully functional in an environment with only a single language, there is nothing to do at this point.

Hello,

The caching is enforced via a HTTP header set by the webserver itself. You can either set headers with a short cache duration for the particular file, for example, via .htaccess, or use different filenames for each header image.

If you're using the same images but rotate them regularly, I would recommend to use distinctive file name. You would achieve both an instantaneous update of the displayed image while still making use of the browser cache to reduce traffic for both you and your users.

Is this a paid upgrade and if so, what is the cost? Or is it free to existing 3.1 users?

This is a paid upgrade. However, starting with WoltLab Suite 5.2 each license, including those upgraded from Burning Board 4.0 or newer, will receive all new versions that are released within one year. Please see Sales Launch and Pricings of WoltLab Suite 5.2 to learn more.

I'm sure I saw that Link Preview is part of the new 5.2 forum, although I may be mistaken.

There had been plans at one point, but these have been postponed for now due to legal concerns, in particular in regards to the EU Directive 2019/790 (Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market), which is still pending to be implemented by the member states.

Is it best to update all the plugins first prior to upgrading, assuming that they are all compatible? Or just select all updates and hit submit?

Some updates do not require 5.2, so these can and should be installed first. The easiest way to do this is to disable those update servers for 2019 and run the update, once there is nothing left, proceed with the upgrade. The upgrade requires all available updates to be selected, because they need to be applied in the same process.

Would a database back up and full home directory back up from within CPanel be sufficient in case they are needed? That's where I usually do my back ups anyway.

This should be fine.