How can I customize the Registration Form to ADD a specific item

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 5.4

Hello,

In the current Registration Form there are specific items of which an individual who would like to become a Forum Member must fill out or check when applying for Forum Membership.

[Refer to the attachment I have included]

However these options do not completely provide want I want on the Registration Form.

So where do I go in the ACP to make this addition to the Registration Form?

Would appreciate receiving information on how to accomplish this; thanks.

• UPDATE!

Okay, I created the additional line of Data in the Registration Form.

However, I am not sure this will work out satisfactory for me as the "response" by the Registrant in the additional line I created

may or may not actually fill it out as requested - (e.g., "Yes").

I have to run a test to find out for sure what occurs if the individual registering DOES NOT say 'yes' - or if he/she just leaves the line blank.

There needs to be a "restriction" regarding this particular line of reply; that is to say, IF the individual Registering DOES NOT say "yes",

OR LEAVES the line blank, then the registration process should NOT complete!

Apparently I did not make it clear as to what I was attempting to accomplish. {Referring to reply I received in Post #2 above]

I am not sure, but probably what I need is to make changes via "Phrases" OR "Template".

OR perhaps there is a Plugin available to alter/modify the Registration Box ?

To reiterate: I want to ADD an additional criteria to the Registration Form.

The Custom User Field (of which I was directed to) pertains to three areas, e.g, "About Me"; "Personal Details"; and "Contact Options"

I don't see / understand how that has a connection to what appears in the Registration Form.

• The attachment I have included illustrates what alteration and addition I want to make to the Registration Form.

How can this be accomplished?

Creating a Custom User Field will NOT provide what I am seeking to achieve as it does provide a REQUIRED FIELD in the Registration Process.

It also is not suitable because even IF an Individual states "Yes" (with regard to the Registration Field Box) the individual registering can at any time

delete that statement.

With Woltlab Forum Software so very sophisticated and advanced (compared to other forum softwares)

it therefore must be considered logical that it is possible to make the addition I want for the Registration Form.

Someone must know how to do this - would appreciate your help!

• Since no one has yet replied to my post above (#5) the following should make it easier for me to receive some help:

What I am seeking to accomplish and where I need to be in the ACP (adding an additional required entry to the Registration Form)

is located in "Templates".

On page 5 I believe it is, there are three entries for "register";

and the first listed of these three pertains to changing, or adding to, existing Registration Form Data.

There are 255 lines of data altogether for this particular template.

What I need to know is this:

a) What lines of the 255 do I need to duplicate in order to make (establish) my proposed addition to the Registration Form?

b) Exactly where (which lines of the 255) do I insert the addition I want to make?

c) After having added this additional data, the Registration Form would look like it does currently but with my additional Form Entry Requirement.

d) I am assuming the entered data must be in proper sequence in order for my addition to appear where it should be located with respect to the

other required form entries - correct?

NOTE:

I have already established a new "Template Group" for copying and making changes/additions to the Woltlab "register template". It is active.

So all I need are answers to my questions under "a" thru "d". ;)

• I have to run a test to find out for sure what occurs if the individual registering DOES NOT say 'yes' - or if he/she just leaves the line blank.

There needs to be a "restriction" regarding this particular line of reply; that is to say, IF the individual Registering DOES NOT say "yes",

OR LEAVES the line blank, then the registration process should NOT complete!

By adding the profile field you can add a regular expression for validation. You can enter something like that to only allow a value of yes:

^yes$

• Hello Black Rider

Thanks for your reply.

However as I told Marcel Werk, establishing an additional profile field for the Registration Form via Custom User Fields is NOT what I need.

I want to expressly ADD a specific entry to the Registration Form - this addition would appear just like the other fields that are there currently in the Registration Form, e.g., User Name and Email Address

I know it can be accomplished by adding to / modifying the "Template".

That is why I established the ability to copy the "register" Template and make changes to it.

I have done this sort of thing before (but not with the Register Form).

[Previously, a Woltlab Forum Member showed me how; unfortunately he doesn't seem to be active with this forum.]

• Hello SoftCreatR,

You stated: "However, I still don't understand, why an additional profile field doesn't work for you."

My reply:

Because creating a Profile Field via Custom User Fields does not include the same criteria as those items which are in the original Register Form,

i.e. User Name, Email Address.

To Clarify:

I tried going the route of creating a Profile Field. Sure, I can make whatever I want the field to say - I know how to do that!

But the "down-side" to any field created in this manner DOES NOT have the same characteristics (Criteria) as do those items programmed into the

Registration Form.

Take a look at the Register Form (from my site or any site) by clicking on the link "Register".

What appears? Fields which have the built-in "demand" (requirement) that they be answered / filled out.

And there is a RED asterisk (*) by those items / fields; and it is stated in the Registration Form that those fields so marked MUST be filled out!

Custom User Fields does not provide for this. But that is what I need most of all - my choice of ADDED FIELD to the Registration Form

which expressly states WHAT the field is, and that it be labeled (marked with the RED asterisk) that it MUST be filled out!

Unless the criteria I mentioned in the above paragraph is met completely, the "Visitor" coming to my forum to Register as a Forum Member,

could simply fill out the field I have added, but later deleting that he/she ever committed to such a statement of "acceptance"

(e.g., an adult forum), and "age verification" of at least 18 Years of Age..

Such a situation is unacceptable - both because of what I want, and from a legal perspective.

• Custom User Fields does not provide for this.

This is not true. If you check the options "Owner must provide a valid value" (e.g. in combination with a regex shown by Black Rider ) and "Field will be visible during registration" when creating a custom profile field, it will be required during/for registration.

but later deleting that he/she ever committed to such a statement of "acceptance"

You can make a custom profile field editable by "Owner during registration and Administrator" which will prevent users from changing its value afterwards.

age verification" of at least 18 Years of Age

You can set a minimum age under Configuration > Users > Registration which automatically adds the birthday profile field to the registration form. You can then set this profile field to be editable by "Owner during registration and Administrators" and users will not be able to change their birthday after registration.

• Hello DMedia and SoftCreatR,

By combining information from both of you on how to set up a Customized Registration Form,

I am pleased to tell you that this latest attempt to establish such a "customized" registration form has proved successful!

A Screenshot I have attached below illustrates this.

Thank you for your help and guidance regarding this issue!

• Hello DMedia and SoftCreatR,

I had a hunch about an hour ago that I should run a "test registration" just to make sure if what I set up in "Custom User Fields" would actually work when someone attempted to register with my forum.

Unfortunately the "test registration" I ran did NOT work!

There was an a message that the information entered in the "acceptance section" AND in the Birth Date was invalid.

I have attached four screenshots to show you exactly what I have filled out in the "Custom User Field" form.

When you have a moment, please look at these screen shots and let me know what part or parts on the Custom User Field Form is incorrect.

Thank you.

• First of all, your profile field is still set to be editable by the owner (user) at any given time which enables the user to change it after registration. Also, the profile field is currently visible for everyone, but since everyone has to fill it out and its value never changes anyway, you may want to make it visible only to the owner and administrators so as not to display unnecessary information on user profiles. I would recommend the following settings:

However, this field (even with your settings) works fine in my environment and I don't see any issues with your setup right away. What is interesting to me is that the birthday field also throws a generic error. If the date is below the minimum age, a corresponding error would be displayed instead. What do the settings for this profile field look like?

Also, without knowing too much about US law, isn't it enough to set a minimum age that users automatically confirm when they register?

• First of all, your profile field is still set to be editable by the owner (user) at any given time which enables the user to change it after registration. Also, the profile field is currently visible for everyone, but since everyone has to fill it out and its value never changes anyway, you may want to make it visible only to the owner and administrators so as not to display unnecessary information on user profiles. I would recommend the following settings:

Regarding the "editable" filed: When the errors showed up during a trial registration, I switched the value back to what I had previously to see if it would make a difference. It did not, as I still got the error messages.

I will set everything according to your 'recommendation'.

However, this field (even with your settings) works fine in my environment and I don't see any issues with your setup right away. What is interesting to me is that the birthday field also throws a generic error. If the date is below the minimum age, a corresponding error would be displayed instead. What do the settings for this profile field look like?

As for the Birthday field, when I ran the test registration I used a date of birth and year which was a person over 18 years of age - I think it was age 32.

As for the Birthday field that comes up in the registration form, it has always been set at "registrant must be at least 18".

Also, without knowing too much about US law, isn't it enough to set a minimum age that users automatically confirm when they register?

Not according to my attorney.

I will go back into the Custom User Fields area of the ACP and change everything to what you recommended.

Then I will retry a test registration.

Will let you know how it performs.

• I currently have no idea what could be the issue here without looking at it myself (DM me if you are willing to provide me with a temporary admin login). You may have to go through it again, one at a time. First try to disable your age verification profile field (remove checkmark on overview) to check if the minimum age requirement / birthday profile field works as intended. If it doesn't work, please provide screenshots of its settings, but if it does work on its own, maybe its an issue that must be resolved by creating a ticket.

• I currently have no idea what could be the issue here without looking at it myself (DM me if you are willing to provide me with a temporary admin login). You may have to go through it again, one at a time. First try to disable your age verification profile field (remove checkmark on overview) to check if the minimum age requirement / birthday profile field works as intended. If it doesn't work, please provide screenshots of its settings, but if it does work on its own, maybe its an issue that must be resolved by creating a ticket.

Hello,

After about 90 minutes of going into the ACP >Custom User Fields >deleting ^Accept$ in BOTH Custom User Fields (one for the Adult Acceptance and Age Verification), and the other Custom User Field (for the Birthday Entry), I was able to successfully make two test registrations without a hitch

I have permissions set at "Registration Approved By Admin".

After making the 'deletion' as stated above, and running these two test registrations, the Red Asterisk ( * ) still shows on every filed in the Registration process. So I am assuming if someone other than me attempts to Register as a Forum Member, the Registration Fields will display ;properly.

If you have the time, perhaps you can click on the Register Button on my forum to verify that the required fields are showing properly.

I have included two screenshots to show you what I did in the "Custom User Fields"

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!