Per Message Reactions

• Affected Version
    WoltLab Suite 5.3

Hello,

I know there was a lot of demand for the new Reaction system, but the users of the forum I help run are used the like button. We were on an old Xenforo instance before and like was one click very easy for them. Now, it requires two clicks on desktop and three on mobile. I've been trying to study how it works and initially though I could just make the menu always visible, but I realize now that the reactions menu is dynamic and not on every post.

I know it has been said that we cannot go back to the old like system (though I think the code is there). I don't know how it even worked though since we never used to old version.

Options I have been considering:

- Including a static always visible reaction menu per post that has both post id and can send the required events (will put in template)

- Figuring out if I can somehow call the old Like code

- Reusing the reaction button already on each post and having it just send the thumb up reaction (would lose other reactions)

I am new to Woltlabs, as you can tell and would be willing to try coding out a plugin, but I am not at the level yet. Any pointers that could help with this?

Also please let me know if there is a better section to post in and thank you so much for any and all help. Really appreciated!

• Hello,

Do you actually want the other reactions? The button changes its behavior if there is only one reaction in which it acts as a reaction "toggle" rather than displaying the other options.

Alexander Ebert
    Senior Developer WoltLab® GmbH

• Thank you for the quick response! I had no idea it would change if we only have one.

The admin 6theory would like to keep the expanded reactions if possible, but this is an option if push comes to shove. The most urgent concern he has is the three clicks necessary on mobile, because that is where we receive the most complaints. He think users might accept it more readily if it was cut down to two clicks, mirroring the desktop experience.

Ideal is still to have visible reactions of every post that users can just click and move on. They do like the expanded reactions, it's the multiple clicks necessary that bothers them.

• That would be quite difficult to achieve, because there is a certain logic attached to it, including tracking the state of the button. At the same time, I do agree that the situation on mobile has some room for improvement, I'm not too happy with the state of the "one menu fits all" approach for message either.

I cannot offer a simple solution for the current version, because there is too much hidden magic attached to it. However, I have added a tracking issue for the next version 5.4 to address your concerns: https://github.com/WoltLab/WCF/issues/3888

Alexander Ebert

• Sorry to bother you Alexander Ebert but I wanted to ask that you also consider moving the mobile ellipsis menu down if reactions will still be contained in it. A lot of users have complained about long posts where they have to scroll all the way up on mobile to leave a reaction. You may already be thinking about this, but wanted to add that since we've been getting a lot of input on this particular issue. I'd move the ellipsis down, but then you can't always edit the post since that brings up another menu that only appears where it "thinks" the ellipsis menu should be. Thanks!

• Hello,

The change I made was moving the reactions out of the menu and into a standalone button. For compatibility reasons, the reaction button will be at the bottom, while the menu stays at the top.

Alexander Ebert