How do I set "Users Online" to appear in Footer Box Area?

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 5.2

At first I thought about opening a Support Ticket for this, however there may be other individuals interested in this, so I decided to post my question here.

I have set "permissions" for my forum to only partially show to "visitors" when first coming to my site - (NOT logged in)

When Logged in as "registered", anyone can view the entire forum (with a few exceptions as to specific Categories).

I have managed to get "Users Online" to show in the Footer Box area when a forum member or staff member has logged in.

However, when anyone first arrivies at my forum - anyone NOT logged in - I have thus far been unsuccessful in getting the "Users Online" feature to show (display) in the Footer.

I Would greatly appreciate help with this issue.

Please refer to the two screenshots below.

• Hi,

set the permission in one (or both) of this user-groups:

• Guests
    • Everyone/Everybody/All ("Jeder" in German)

"Can see User-Online lists" (or something like that) -> "Yes"

Hello Modelcarforum

Thank you for your reply!

I did set the permissions in "Guests" and "Everyone" in the ACP as follows:

"Yes" with regard to viewing Online Users

I have not given a "yes" to everything with regard to the settings "Everyone" OR "Guests"

as I do not want everything on my forum to be visible for anyone who arrives at my forum.

Right now if I log onto my forum - as a registered forum member, OR, as Admin of the Forum,

I can view who is online.

However, if NOT logged in (e.g., just as a "visitor" who has arrived at my forum by pointing their browser to my forum's URL),

the "users online" statistic does not show ..... however I do want that information to show!

There must be a way of accomplishing this. Right?

• Hello Modelcarforum

The "Users Online" setting is working correctly now - BOTH for when logged in and when NOT logged in ("visitor" to forum).

However, the description I gave regarding the settings for "Everyone" and "Guests" in Post #3 above had, apparently, nothing to do with it working properly; as I set and reset those particular settings several times in the last 48 hours - but always coming up with the same problem, e.g., the

"Users Online" not showing up for "visitors" to my forum - only showing for Logged in Forum Members.

So why, just in the last 15 minutes or so, did the "Users Online" statistic in the Footer begin showing / displaying as I intended it to?

The answer apparently comes from another problem I have been experiencing for the last few weeks, but becoming increasingly annoying

in just the last few days; and that was my SLOW (and often "timing out") internet connection.

To wit, an Internet Security Suite I had uploaded to my computer fairly recently was responsible.

And I would not have known about it if it were not for a VPN service I subscribe to.

Here is what their Tech Department told me:

"The details of this support request indicate that you are using Kaspersky.

This antivirus software has been identified as having numerous security concerns that could compromise the safety of its users.

Most recently it has been confirmed that the software has been injecting unique identifying information into sites to enforce an allowance

for them to track their visitors, effectively circumventing any attempt to use 'incognito browsing.

Additionally, in the past, the software was revealed to intentionally provide a backdoor for Russian hacking.

As your system is susceptible to the aforementioned issues, we will be unable to offer further support without the removal of Kaspersky."

So I uninstalled Kaspersky and now my internet connection speed (among other things), are back to normal.

Customer

• In other words, it is working now?

Kaspersky is another topic.

Hello Modelcarforum,

Yes, everything on my forum site appears to be working (functioning correctly).

The "Users Online" data statistic is appearing in the Footer as I want it to - for both Logged in members, and visitors not logged in.

A friend - who also sometimes monitors my site as Moderator - told me he sees no problems currently.:)

As for "Kaspersky", I really would like to find an Internet Security Software that protects my computer and Smartphone without that

"system" trying to do a "number" (malicious activity) on me! But every internet security I have ever tried .... all have some very unwanted and sometimes disturbing consequences connected with it.:rolleyes:

• Hi Ruff Seas,

you could try Avast (free) or G-Data. :)

And you should uninstall all previous AV-Software completely before any new installation.

That's very important to avoid conflicts between different Security programs.

Gruß

Jörg

(Jaydee)

• Hi Ruff Seas,

you could try Avast (free) or G-Data. :)

And you should uninstall all previous AV-Software completely before any new installation.

That's very important to avoid conflicts between different Security programs.

Hello Modelcarforum,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did completely UNINSTALL the internet security software I had with Kaspersky.

I will look into those two you suggested.;)

• Yes...

This should work.

Hello e.meneses,

I did clear the "cache" as you suggested.

However I still have the problem of getting my forum set up as to WHO can view WHAT when they arrive at my forum site with regards to being a

"visitor" - NOT logged in; and as a Forum Member logged in.

Please see the 3 attachments I have uploaded here as this may make what I am trying to accomplish, clearer.

If you (or anyone else who sees this post) can tell me what I need to do in order to make this work out for me, please offer your help - thanks!

• UPDATE:

It took awhile but now have everything working as planned!

Visitors OR Members to my forum (NOT logged in) can view the Users Online Statistic in the Footer from the Dashboard Page.

Viewing the Main Forum Page, "Statistics Data" displays in the Footer.

I also uploaded a Plugin which shows a lot of Forum Statistical Data - accessible from a Drop Down Menu.

Added a Plugin for "Statistics"

Plugin Credits: Batarjal and BlackRider - whose Plugins made it possible to achieve my objectives regarding my forum.

Thanks to Modelcarforum and e.meneses who offered their help and comments.

help

Hey Devil - Get behind me and don't push, shove, or kick! ^^

My Forum: https://totally-blazon.com

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Ruff Seas (26. August 2020 um 06:49) aus folgendem Grund: Added some additional text

• It seems that there are still remaining a few "glitches" regarding how my forum site appears when a "visitor" (anyone arriving at the forum but NOT logged in yet) - primarily with the "Users Online" data in the Forums' Footer; e.g., it has "disappeared" again.

I have this nagging feeling that one or more Plugins I have installed on my forum are conflicting with each other.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!