Enable logs or stacktrace

• Affected Version
    WoltLab Suite 5.2

Hi.

I am wondering if there is way to enable some kind of stacktrace logs or at least the logs to print more detailed information, not just only the major errors, when system crashed?

I guess some of the admin actions are changing DB entries and also wondering if there is a way to track those somehow?

• Hi

The only logs created are the error logs. They contain the exact stack traces and as much information as possible to track down the error.

I guess some of the admin actions are changing DB entries and also wondering if there is a way to track those somehow?

What exactly do you mean by “changing DB entries” here? Almost anything is changing some database entry. What are you searching for and what do you want to track?

• Well that is what is was wondering - if most of the admin actions are changing DB, then how can I understand the related tables? I was wondering if there is some kind of more detailed stack trace for each request, otherwise I have to hard debug into the code to get the needed information.

• Hi

you are explaining the perceived solution to your issue, not the issue itself. This is commonly know as the XY problem: http://xyproblem.info/

What do you need the “needed information” for? Are you having an issue? Do you want to build a bridge to another software product? Anything else? This information is necessary to give you specific advice.

• I said it already - I am wondering if there is an option to activate the stacktrace (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_trace) to have more detailed logs about the requests, running throughout the system (not only the error-ed requests)? I am aware of the "wcf/log", but it is only logging once error is present.

Please advise.

• Stacktraces aren't magic, how should be system know what stacktrace you are looking for? Essentially, a stacktrace is the path the system took to reach a very specific section of the code. How is it going to know, what that point is? Every request will go through a lot of different code parts, so, how should this magically yield stack traces, when it can't possibly know what you are looking for.

Since you refuse to explain what your original problem is that you are somehow trying to solve with stacktraces (again, these are not magic bullets!), there is not much else we can tell you. Oh, and you can also just raise an exception in the code to force it to generate traces, for example, throw new \Exception("yada yada yada");.

Alexander Ebert
    Senior Developer WoltLab® GmbH

• That was my initial question - is there a way to get more detailed logs, not only when error is raised or I should debug by myself. But thanks anyway.