Pre-upgrade questions

• I'm excited to see that 5.2 has been released and I'm planning to upgrade in the next few days, once I've done some tidying up.

Is it best to update all the plugins first prior to upgrading, assuming that they are all compatible? Or just select all updates and hit submit?

Would a database back up and full home directory back up from within CPanel be sufficient in case they are needed? That's where I usually do my back ups anyway.

Many thanks for the help.

8)

• Is it best to update all the plugins first prior to upgrading, assuming that they are all compatible? Or just select all updates and hit submit?

Some updates do not require 5.2, so these can and should be installed first. The easiest way to do this is to disable those update servers for 2019 and run the update, once there is nothing left, proceed with the upgrade. The upgrade requires all available updates to be selected, because they need to be applied in the same process.

Would a database back up and full home directory back up from within CPanel be sufficient in case they are needed? That's where I usually do my back ups anyway.

This should be fine.

Alexander Ebert
    Senior Developer WoltLab® GmbH

• Is this a paid upgrade and if so, what is the cost? Or is it free to existing 3.1 users?

This is a paid upgrade. However, starting with WoltLab Suite 5.2 each license, including those upgraded from Burning Board 4.0 or newer, will receive all new versions that are released within one year. Please see Sales Launch and Pricings of WoltLab Suite 5.2 to learn more.

I'm sure I saw that Link Preview is part of the new 5.2 forum, although I may be mistaken.

There had been plans at one point, but these have been postponed for now due to legal concerns, in particular in regards to the EU Directive 2019/790 (Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market), which is still pending to be implemented by the member states.

Alexander Ebert
    Senior Developer WoltLab® GmbH

• I had a look at the EU directive aka Article 13, I believe and it's so intentionally vague and obfuscating that it doesn't make any sense at all. Yet there is an implication that a preview of a URL is in some way a copyright infringement which as we all know, is nonsense. Or is it that they're making a stand against fake news?

A YouTube clip embedded in a post or website could therefore be constituted as a copyright infringement since it's a preview just like a preview of a BBC site or any other snippet.

I don't need to ask permission from Google to embed a YouTube video or CNN to embed a news story? Or do I?

memes and GIFs are now specifically excluded from the directive and start-up platforms are subject to lighter requirements.

Well, there's a relief! (sarcastic)