Changing "Categories" Title in Albums

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 3.1

I want to change (alter) the Title "Categories" which appears in my forum's Right Side Bar after clicking on "Albums" of the Gallery Drop Down Menu.

Can this be accomplished?

From WHERE is the change made?

Please see the attachment for additional clarification of my question.

• ACP > Customization > Manage Phrases > gallery.image.categories - edit this phrase and don't forget to check Use custom value.

Hello Ramiru,

Thank you for your help!

The applied change I made to the title "Categories" resulted in the change intended. See attachments (2)

DJ

• If you just want to change the text of this specific box, you should not change gallery.image.categories because this phrase is also used in other places (for example by the form to upload and edit images). Instead, edit the albumList template in the ACP, search for {lang}gallery.image.categories{/lang} and replace it with the desired text.

Hello Matthias,

I clicked on the Link you provided (in Red), and apparently a Custom Template has to be made in order to alter (modify) the original template.

However this is new territory for me - and I do not understand what has to be typed in the 2nd box which appears on the page for adding a Template ("Directory").

I did however locate the phrasing in the Original (core) Template which is what I need to modify.

And I have Disabled my modification in manage phrases: gallery.image.category.

The word "Categories" is what I wish to change TO: CATEGORIES - Click on the LINKS below for MORE SELECTIONS

The reason for making this modification is this:

Adding "Categories" to Gallery (in the ACP) - especially if there are selections (sub-categories) within the "parent category" -

these can easily be missed (over-looked) by Visitors / Members of one's forum unless there is some provision made for drawing attention

to the fact there are additional items (selections) within (under) the main "title/s".

I think it also would be best to provide for a more pronounced visual effect when one hovers over the titles (categories) the admin may have added to the Album List. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this can be accomplished in "Styles" (ACP) - is this correct?

Hey Devil - Get behind me and don't push, shove, or kick! ^^

My Forum: https://totally-blazon.com

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ruff Seas (23. September 2019 um 14:34) aus folgendem Grund: added additional text

• ACP > Customization > Manage Phrases > gallery.image.categories - edit this phrase and don't forget to check Use custom value.

Hello Ramiru,

Well it would appear making modifications to the Title "Categories" is much more complicated than what either of us imagined, right?

Making new templates is something that I have never tried - as you can see by my reply to Matthias Schmidt above.

• Let's just assume that your current style is named MyStyle. To create a custom templates for this particular style, you need to do the following:

• Add a Template Group
      • Set a name, i.e. MyStyleTemplates
      • Set the directory, i.e. MyStyleTemplatesDir/ - you need to add a slash after its name.
    • Go back to Customization > Styles > MyStyle -> Data Tab -> Template Group and select MyStyleTemplates then Submit.
    • Go back to Customization > Templates and search for the template that you want to modify.
    • Click on the "Copy Template" icon then select MyStyleTemplates as the Template Group.
    • Go back again to Customization > Templates and on the "Filter", select MyStyleTemplates then click Submit button.
    • You can now then see the list of the templates you have copied to MyStyleTemplates. Click on it's name to edit :)
  • Let's just assume that your current style is named MyStyle. To create a custom templates for this particular style, you need to do the following:

• Add a Template Group
      • Set a name, i.e. MyStyleTemplates
      • Set the directory, i.e. MyStyleTemplatesDir/ - you need to add a slash after its name.
    • Go back to Customization > Styles > MyStyle -> Data Tab -> Template Group and select MyStyleTemplates then Submit.
    • Go back to Customization > Templates and search for the template that you want to modify.
    • Click on the "Copy Template" icon then select MyStyleTemplates as the Template Group.
    • Go back again to Customization > Templates and on the "Filter", select MyStyleTemplates then click Submit button.
    • You can now then see the list of the templates you have copied to MyStyleTemplates. Click on it's name to edit :)

Hello Ramiru,

I followed your instructions but I was unable to make the modifications take affect which I wanted regarding the Album Title "Categories"

1. When you said: "Let's just assume that your current style is named MyStyle. To create a custom templates for this particular style ... "

do you mean that I must use the current Style (located in Styles) - which includes my forum Header Logo, and everything else of my forum ?

2. Because what I did was to create a Custom template using the *new name MyRemake1; and this was successfully added to the

Template Group.

Then I followed the remainder of your instructions as you gave me. And everything I did was accepted.

But as I said above, the change (modification) I was attempting to make to the Album Title did NOT occur.

*I thought perhaps that was the wrong thing to do; so I tried inserting instead the actual name of my current Style I am using for my forum-

however the system would NOT allow this Style name to be used for a Custom Template.

• Yes, I mean the active style you currently used which is found in Customization > Styles.

After you create the Template Group MyRemake1, make sure that this will be set as the Template Group for your current active style by going to Styles > Your_Style > Data Tab: Template Group

Then you need to copy the albumList template to MyRemake1. After that, you can now modify the albumList template to change the text for the "Categories".

• Hello Ramiru,

WOW! It worked! I successfully changed the Album Title FROM "Categories" TO:

"CATEGORIES - Click on the links below to view additional selections!"

I could never have done this without your help!

1, Certainly I appreciate the detailed information you have given me

2. Your patience with me

I am in your debt for sure.

There just is one more "revision" I want to make:

When hovering over the lists which appear below the title change I mentioned above, those list names change very little.

There needs to be a more pronounced effect when anyone hovers over the names of the Lists (Categories) I have made in the ACP>Apps>Gallery>Categories

I think this change can be made from ACP>Customization>Styles>(My Style)> Color Palette. Am I correct?

I also made a "Help Page" in Microsoft Word files for myself regarding this issue - for future reference if there is a need for

making additional modifications to other parts of my forum that require Template Editing.

Thanks again Ramiru!

DJ

• I think this change can be made from ACP>Customization>Styles>(My Style)> Color Palette. Am I correct?

It can be change by adding a CSS code in ACP > Styles > YOUR_STYLE > Advanced Settings > Own Declarations > Individual CSS & SCSS:

Take note though that this will affect not only the Album categories but also other categories (articles, blogs, etc) in the sidebar as well as something that looks like a menu in the sidebar position, i.e. when you create a set of menus and you place it in the sidebar.

• Hello Ramiru, :)

Thank you for the CSS Code.

I will check this out. If I don't like it, I can always delete the CSS Code change.

However, I was thinking more in the way of just placing emphasis on the named items which appear in the

Album Categories List when anyone HOVERS OVER those items.

This feature is actually ACTIVE right now - but the change is so faint (very little change between the static presentation vs. when items names are hovered over with one's mouse).

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought sure this feature is controlled within Styles>Color Palette.:/

[I think the changing of the FONT COLOR for when a link is hovered over, applies to ALL links which are present in any Side Bar position.]

DJ

• Hello Ramiru,

Okay, I uploaded the CSS Code you gave me (post #11 above), and I like the change (modification) that it made to my

Gallery Categories in Albums.

The GREEN font color that appears when an item is hovered over, looks really sharp! And the WHITE background font that appears

to what has been clicked on, is also a nice feature! [It is actually looks better than the font color emphasis I was telling you about]

And your CSS Code did not change my other links [Edited: It does apply to "the Content" Box" in Gallery] when hovered over -

example, "Statistics" in the Right Side Bar >Newest Member (appears in Red); hovered over it changes slightly to a darker Red

(but not enough to suit me).

I still want to make adjustment to this feature. [Edited: See Below]

However, ever since I made the change in "Templates" regarding the Album List, my previous settings for the Font Color with respect to the

Menu Bar items in the Header, has changed back to what the original settings are with the Woltlab Forum Software.

So now I have to go back into ACP >Styles >Color Palette to adjust this. [ I had the Font Color of the Menu Bar Items change to a different font color

when a Guest or Forum Member was navigating my forum so that it would distinctly show in the Menu Bar WHICH forum feature was actually being looked at, e.g., if on "Forum", then the word Forum would appear highlighted from the other Menu Bar Items.]

DJ

ADDENDUM: Edited some parts of this post as pertaining to bracketed items in post above.

I was successful in making the desired changes/modifications [by going to Styles>Color Palette] to those items I mentioned in my

original posting here.

Thanks again for all your help, Ramiru!

Hey Devil - Get behind me and don't push, shove, or kick! ^^

My Forum: https://totally-blazon.com

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ruff Seas (24. September 2019 um 18:19) aus folgendem Grund: Added addendum

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!