Dealing with users of "other" gender pronouns, and stuff.

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 3.1

I had a member register on my forums who identifies as them/they on the forums.

I told them that I am not hip with the "alternative" genders and it is not my lifestyle but I would try to be accommodating, I was curious HOW can I add a special pronoun or "extra" gender if I wanted too?

0:wcf.global.noDeclaration

1:wcf.user.gender.male

2:wcf.user.gender.female

Is what I see in my custom user fields.

Like I said, this is not my forte and I know what happens if you are not accepting of people of ANY choice in life so I want to be fair to all my members. So I need to add other options.

I was curious if someone could walk me through this.

• Yes it's possible to realize additional genders, by e.g.:

Transgender

WoltLab followed the suggestions/wishes of many users who wanted a real software solution.

But according to this thread in german language it is not possible to use ranks for the self-created genders.

This will be solved by future updates.

If you want and have the time, feel free to translate it by an automatic online translator (Sorry I have no time now to translate it by myself):

Weiteres Hinzufügen Geschlechtern

• Even though I have had in the past - and at present time as well - Forums which deal with controversial issues and subjects of discussion, I must admit this is an issue, e.g., the use of other gender pronouns, of which I have entirely overlooked.

As for:  " ..... I know what happens if you are not accepting of people of ANY choice .... "

What happens???

You needn't answer that question if you feel it unwise to answer.

However for myself, I may or may not make changes in the forum software to accommodate a few individuals who might come to my forum and expecting there to be "gender modifications" made so that they can be "show-cased" as being "different" in how they present themselves or who they want to be recognized as - which in all realty, is pure bullshit.

But if I do make the changes (as it would appear you will be doing so on your forums, kbarg), I will do so because I want to and not because I am threatened or forced to do so by someone who thinks society owes them "special" consideration.:rolleyes:

• I said “any choice” meaning in their life.

Be it sexual orientation, race or religion. Heck it could even be what kind of meat or food you prefer.

If I had a thread on why I hate crossfit or a sexual orientation. I will be targeted. I will be doxxed. I will have the small facets of my life that i enjoy destroyed by one person who has an opposing viewpoint of my own.

There are literally HUNDREDS of like examples currently happening in the united states everyday.

You cannot say Hi to a member of the opposite sex. <—- Hell you cannot even say that now without someone telling you that there are more than two genders so you cannot say opposite anymore.

I literally read a news report that hugging your own children is considered sexual harassment.

@RuffSeas I remember what your Woltlab site was based on. I did not judge you for having an opposing viewpoint of my own and I am more than willing to allow you to live your own life. That being said. When you hijack my thread and quote me like YOU are judging me for how I phrased my question (For which I was trying to make my community more inclusive), that proves my point exactly.

I am a straight, white, Christian, male. I am neither CIS gendered nor any other term. I have been married to my straight, white, Christian, female wife for 13 years. I have 3 children and all of them are comfortable with their born gender and sexual orientation. I know this because I have asked my 11month old son and he replies “Gaga-googoo” I take that as “I am too young to have a preference”

I am a US Army veteran, I own multiple guns and I am a conservative, who also voted for Donald Trump. (I was literally called a Nazi on another site for saying that I was a conservative.)

I have always accepted people for what they believe in, and never judged based on how they practice certain areas of their lives.

Which is why I posted this thread.

If your sole intention is to bait me into saying something uncouth then ignore me, block me, and stay off of my thread.

I am not scared to voice my opinion, there are just too many people to scared to hear it.

• I came here looking for advise on making my community more inclusive for people who practice differing opinions than myself.

Now I am flustered, irritated and I still do not understand why.

I would like this thread to go back to the reason it was made. I would not like it to be the subject matter to bait someone who has conflicting views.

If any Woltlab staff wishes to delete this post, and my previous rant may do so.

I might have offended alot of people without intending to.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just extend the available options for the Gender profile field, but I would strongly recommend to use the syntax identifier:value instead. The reason being that the identifier is stored internally and the value is presented to the user. This allows you to change the value without messing with the existing selection from users.

• Thanks too, Alexander. This was also the way I realized it in one community. But in the last (german) threads dealing with this topic they always wrote it without Identifier. That's why I wrote it the other not recommended way.

In my com I wrote it this way (the last one only for fun):

0:wcf.global.noDeclaration

1:wcf.user.gender.male

3:wcf.user.gender.tv

4:wcf.user.gender.zwitter

5:wcf.user.gender.faker

• Offizieller Beitrag

But in the last (german) threads dealing with this topic they always wrote it without Identifier. That's why I wrote it the other not recommended way.

It works, because the value implicitly becomes the identifier in that case. If you never change the value, then there is literally no downside to that approach, but once you make the tiniest change, things get screwed up. This is one of the things where I always wonder if it makes more sense to break backwards compatibility and to straight away reject non-identifier values, because it will causes headaches that could have been avoided.

• I do it by adding the same new language items to the en.xml and de.xml (es.xml+pt.xml+pl.xml) file and import them over the language management in ACP - Customization https :// www.example.com/acp/index.php?language-import/.

You have to search the en.xml in your installation package open it by an HTML editor like e.g. Dreamweaver and search for wcf.user.gender. Then you have to add the new gender language items by copying an existing, editing and renaming them. Finally the import in ACP.

The path for the CORE main language files is:

upload - WCFSetup.tar.gz - install - lang (en.xml + de.xml) |and also| upload - WCFSetup.tar.gz - install - packages - com.woltlab.wcf.tar - language

(en.xml + de.xml)

Perhaps Alexander or someone else has another solution more easy.

• I remember what your Woltlab site was based on. I did not judge you for having an opposing viewpoint of my own and I am more than willing to allow you to live your own life. That being said. When you hijack my thread and quote me like YOU are judging me for how I phrased my question (For which I was trying to make my community more inclusive), that proves my point exactly.

Judging by what you stated in your reply to me personally - part of which is quoted above - it is apparently obvious that you think I targeted you directly and on purpose when I replied to your Thread herein.

You are sadly mistaken.

However, I believe everything that happens is for a purpose;

and with that in mind I can truthfully say your response to me has positively created and established for me a reason to add an addition to my current forum Categories.

• The path for the CORE main language files is:

upload - WCFSetup.tar.gz - install - lang (en.xml + de.xml) |and also| upload - WCFSetup.tar.gz - install - packages - com.woltlab.wcf.tar - language

(en.xml + de.xml)

The path for the CORE main language files is:

(en.xml + de.xml)

The Core main lang files are twice in the installation package for some technical reasons.

• Ruff Seas I apologize for my thread. I thought I was being inadvertently reprimanded or questioned for how I phrased my question. I have no problem with you and I hope you have none with me.

I think you are a swell dude and you always try to help people if they have problems here. Keep up the good work!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!