Removing the Branding ?

• … want to create an unique community without reference to WoltLab,

… want to hide the software used to create the community because of security reasons,

This is nonsense... It's no problem to identify the software used, if a user wants to... Doesn't matter if it's WSC, XenForo, IPS, vB, or what ever....Normal users may not know how to do this, but for experiecend users, it's definitly not a porblem.

Viele Grüsse aus Stuttgart, Kind Regards from Stuttgart
    TheSonic / Alex

..:: Excuse me for a while, While I'm wide-eyed, and I'm so damn caught in the middle - Have you wondered for a while. I have a feeling deep down, You're caught in the middle ::..

Edited once, last by TheSonic ().

• … something else.

Can even be to help stop spam bots that search for certain forum copyright notices and then try and spam the forum.

But for the most part I think it's because some just want their forums to be unique and not show the software copyright on every page in footer

• Geronimo You mentioned:

because of security reasons,

Experienced users will identify the software... a regular user don't cares about that.

The frontend doesn't matter, not even the styles (or the branding (removal) )... Just have a look at the (php)files on the server or check the site's source and you will identify the software....

Viele Grüsse aus Stuttgart, Kind Regards from Stuttgart
    TheSonic / Alex

..:: Excuse me for a while, While I'm wide-eyed, and I'm so damn caught in the middle - Have you wondered for a while. I have a feeling deep down, You're caught in the middle ::..

Edited once, last by TheSonic ().

• I plan on theming my forums to match my website one of these days the copyrights will clash. I do plan to put a credits page on the site, thanking Woltlab for their awesome software with a linkback to Woltlab.com. I just haven't worked on it yet.

• Doesn't matter. See https://www.welchername.de/ for example. A first look won't tell you, what software is used. Checking the source code quickly reveals it.

An really good example. For many proects it really is no problem that somebody could identify the software you used but you don't want to show your users which cms you used either. I just wanted to point out that there are plenty possible reasons to purchase this option.