Removing the Branding ?

• I am curious.
    Wolt charges $249.99 USD to remove the branding.
    But, it is very easy to remove the branding at the bottom of each page, by editing the style sheet.

Other software that I have used makes this unbelievably difficult.

Why do Wolt make it so easy ?

And they probably revoke the license for doing it. So why even mess around looking at how it can be done. :whistling:

• I own licenses for all big, commercial forums/communities... Normally it"s always a languagevar, a templateedit or a fileedit. As long the code is read- and editable, it's not a big deal (i normally add a line under the (unmodified) copyright, so i checked that... I never bought brandingfree and never removed it).

The only secure way is to encode the phpfiles with ioncube or something like that (and even that could be "hacked")

Viele Grüsse aus Stuttgart, Kind Regards from Stuttgart
    TheSonic

• I'll admit going back many years ago. I once used a free WordPress theme that had 5 spam copyright links in the footer. It was amazing the lengths they went to try and stop you from removing them. They encoded the copyright in the template and also in the PHP file that checks the copyright remains the same, or brings the site crashing down if changed. I simply decoded the copyright and what was in the PHP file using a website that lets you decode/encode, change the copyright in both and then recode it all back again in the two files.

Point being, even those who try hard adding PHP checking code to match what they encoded as copyright, it can still be decoded and changed. Nothing stops anyone who puts their mind to cracking something. ;(

I should add, I only did it because of the stupid 5 spam links they added in copyright leading to 5 different sites they owned. And all their 100's of other free themes offered did it exactly the same way

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (14. Juni 2019 um 19:21)

• Hope your not editing CSS files direct. Any CSS edits should be done by added new entries into the Extra CSS box to override CSS entries in the Core CSS files

No ! Just using the inhouse style editor. That's how I found it.

• Just tried looking for it again and can't find it. Perhaps I saw it somewhere else.
    I have been looking all over the place in the past few days getting to know the layout.
    For the most part, I am just getting increasingly lost.

• No ! Just using the inhouse style editor. That's how I found it.

No, what I was saying is don't edit any CSS in the main files. Be it using an external editor or the built-in one. There is a section under styles that shows an empty box for adding Extra CSS. Any CSS changes you make should be done by adding the CSS in that box and not altering any main CSS files

Any CSS entries you wanted to edit and change in the core css files, you just copy that css line (class) into the Extra CSS box and make changes to the CSS entries by adding: !important at the end so it overrides the default for it.

So if you want to change only 1 entry in this CSS class for something like margin as an example:

Code
    .demo {
    margin-left 20px;
    padding-left: 30px;
    }

Then in the Extra CSS box you would add this to overide the margin entry in the default CSS files. This means you never actually edit any CSS files that comes with the software, meaning you can revert any changes back to default again, simply by deleting the CSS you added in the Extra CSS box

CSS
    .demo {
    margin-left: 10px !important;
    }

7 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (14. Juni 2019 um 21:38)

• Now I am curious about what you get when you buy a branding free license from WoltLab? Do you get instructions for removing the copyright via CSS or language variable edits, do you get a "plugin" that you can install the usual way, which removes the copyright or something else=

• I bought one branding free license. I have 4 licenses.

I have two different identical installs one is spanish only and one is english only.

Spanish still has branding and they link to eachother...

• No, what I was saying is don't edit any CSS in the main files. Be it using an external editor or the built-in one. There is a section under styles that shows an empty box for adding Extra CSS. Any CSS changes you make should be done by adding the CSS in that box and not altering any main CSS files

Any CSS entries you wanted to edit and change in the core css files, you just copy that css line (class) into the Extra CSS box and make changes to the CSS entries by adding: !important at the end so it overrides the default for it.

So if you want to change only 1 entry in this CSS class for something like margin as an example:

Thank you for that info.
    I always wondered how this worked.

I am pretty familiar with CSS in HTML, but have wondered how using css in php forum pages worked.
    I will have to get experimenting when I have some other stuff sorted out.
    Thanks again.

• Regardless or ease or repercussions, it shouldn't be done unless you pay for the removal. That branding is one way WoltLab makes new sales.

I fully agree.

What leads to a person desiring the removal of the Woltlab Brand?

For me, I have no desire to remove the Woltlab Brand - on any of their products/software; Even if they charged only $1.00 USD for doing so!

Somehow, it just seems that those individuals who want to remove the brand are "afraid" of something.....

Perhaps they believe their members OR visitors to their forum/website site are going to click on the Woltlab Name and not come back to their website/forum? Or???

If that is the case, then they should be more concerned about what they can do to improve their own forum/website content rather than worrying about someone clicking on the "Woltlab" Brand link.

And if their reason for eliminating the Woltlab Brand should be something devious, or even criminal, shame on them.

• Or???

… don't like the look of it,

… want to place their own copyright there,

… don't want to bother their users with somethin not relevant for them,

… want to create an unique community without reference to WoltLab,

… want to hide the software used to create the community because of security reasons,

… want to support the great work of WoltLab by paying this extra money,

… something else.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!