Considering Google AdSense for my forum

• I'm considering AdSense for my forum and am curious about other forum owners' experience with it.

How intrusive is it for the members' enjoyment of the forum?

Is it easy to set up?

I see that Google is now pushing Auto Ads. Is that the way to go?

Finally, if any WoltLab forum owners could share their forum URL here, allowing me to see how the ads run on their forums, I'd me most grateful.

Many thanks

• I made a little (very little) bit of money with Adsense years ago, that was before everyone had adblockers. People have adblockers for a reason, they hate seeing advertisements on every website that they visit. I think you are going to annoy your current members by adding them now and would probably be better off with a simple donation link. I don't watch television with commercials anymore and I try not to listen to commercial radio either.

• I use advertising only for guests and non-registered users. Unfortunately, this does not work for me with the auto-ads, as I imagined. The code should be inserted in the head area, but then you have no control who should see the advertisement.

• There are other ways to promote a forum instead of going the "ad" route.:)

I made a little (very little) bit of money with Adsense years ago, that was before everyone had adblockers. People have adblockers for a reason, they hate seeing advertisements on every website that they visit. I think you are going to annoy your current members by adding them now and would probably be better off with a simple donation link. I don't watch television with commercials anymore and I try not to listen to commercial radio either.

PJK: Good advice you gave, especially the part:

"I think you are going to annoy your current members by adding them now and would probably be better off with a simple donation link."

A few days ago I searched out forums which included a variety of subject matter and format to perhaps find some worthwhile ideas regarding my own soon to be made live Forum.

Some very nice forums out there ..... however those forums which had ads displayed on their site was a complete turn-off and annoyance to say the least. Furthermore, it visually distracted from the subjects and content they were attempting to present with their forum.:rolleyes:

• Google Adsense was the very first reason why I registered my small business in Germany.

So, I use Adsense since 2006 and tried also OneNetworkDirect, Zanox, EBAY Partner Network, CJ.com (Commission Junction), Apple Affiliate, DJI Affiliate, shockwave-sound.com

You earn not much with Google, but you get more money than from the other partners.

In my private life I go the same way like PJK, refusing as much as possible ads on Internet, TV, radio,...

For my communities I use Adsense in a still manner. ;)

• I may well go the 'donate' route in that case, but I'll give it a bit more thought.

Ruff Seas I wasn't intending to use AdSense to promote my forum. That's not its purpose anyway. It's a revenue generator.

Having said all that, I have seen a few sites where the ads are quite subtle.

OK, got it!

Well whatever decision you make on this issue, i.e. AdSense or Donation LInk, I hope it all works out for what you want to accomplish.:)

• Google is planning to block all free users of Chrome from using add blocker apps soon with it, or that's how it sounds with only Enterprise paid users able to block Adsense Ads using Chrome browser. Just thought I'd throw that one in there...

If Google go ahead and do this, and Adsense adds can't be blocked with Chrome except by paid Enterprise users. That either means more Google ads with get through to users browsing sites with it soon, or all Chrome users will switch to another browser like Firefox to still block adsense ads

https://9to5google.com/2019/05…g-enterprise-manifest-v3/