Install problem

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 3.1
  • Looks like the opcache functions are blockt by your php config, maybe ask your hoster about it.

Those functions are required in order to get a consistent filesystem on every call, which means it is neccessary to invalidate every file once it was changed.

• my hoster is OVH. someone else have same problem with them?

I never heard of OVH - so I looked it up in Google Search, found the listing for them, and then logged onto their website.

Although I was able to get into their website in a reasonable length of time, when I clicked on links within their website, the page or pages would not come up; the main OVH page I was on when I clicked on those other links, would just "sit" there.

Not sure what is causing this (but I know it is not due to the fault of my ISP because I have a connection speed of100) - but for me at least this experience does not inspire confidence in OVH.:rolleyes:

• Interesting comments from devgames and SoftCreatR

Well, whoever is the "biggest" Hosting Provider in the world doesn't necessarily mean they would be the "best", does it?

For me, I go by my own experience with the Hosting Provider, and that includes the following:

1) How many details do they give you regarding their individual Hosting Plans,?

I mean, do they lay it ALL out straight-forward, or does one have to drag it out of them bit by bit/feature by feature?

Do they offer VPS Hosting AND Dedicated Hosting besides Shared Hosting?

2) Do they offer cPanel without charging extra for it?

3) Where are their servers located?

And does the customer have a choice in choosing where the server is located of which his/her account will be linked up with?

4) If the customer needs assistance with some problem that comes up is their Tech Department easy to connect to - either via phone, email, or chat?

And how long does one have to wait for a reply once they know of your problem or question?

5) Are they willing (within reason of course) to step away from the usual "policy":

"We don't deal with any problem or question you (the customer) may have that involves 3rd party developers "

*6) Do they offer Privacy Registration at the time the customer purchases the Domain Name, AND, do they make sure the purchase of BOTH are done (transacted) at the same time?

Surprising how many Hosting Providers DO NOT!

And if you are one of those persons that believes keeping Bots and/or actual people ("trouble makers at large") from flooding your new Website, Forum, or Blog with non-sense and trash or do worse things than that, then #6 here is extremely important.

7) When it comes to the 'trouble makers', is the Hosting Provider willing to show you steps to take that you may not know about, OR, of which you may not know how to implement via .htaccess - or perhaps even something else - of which would be of help to you?

8 Does your Hosting Provider provide you (with your current Hosting Plan) unlimited Band Width and other important considerations which, if the answer is no to any of them, it may result in YOU getting charged EXTRA if for some reason your website got hit with so much deliberate negative imposed traffic that your Hosting Plan limits became exceeded?

There probably are additional things to consider when deciding which Hosting provider to choose for your website, but the above I have - through experience - learned to look for!

UPDATE - ADDITIONAL INFO/COMMENT

*Regarding what I said in #6 above, this is the one disappointment I have with the Hosting Provider I use (https://www.247-host.com/vps.htm) -

but nothing in this world is 100% perfect!

However I have a way of working around this one slight obstacle:

1) I go to my favorite Domain Name Registrar (which is Enom . com).

There I purchase my Domain Names, and I also purchase ID Protect at the same time for each Domain Name I purchase.

The cost is quite reasonable for both.

2) Then I go to 247-Host and select/purchase whichever Hosting Plan I want.

After that is purchased and confirmed, the Tech Department and the Sales Dept. send me Emails regarding my purchase.

3) I look for the info I need to make a change in the Nameservers - so that they can be pointed to my Hosting Provider.

4) I go back to Enom and make the change.

All of this takes only 15 to 20 minutes at most.

Should you have difficulty in knowing exactly what to do (in changing the Nameservers and where to go within the Enom website for this purpose), there is a posted phone number on the Enom website to call for technical help. Very convenient.

• do you have a recomandation for me?

Can you recomand me another host provider?

devgames:

To whom are you addressing here for the recommendation?

I can of course, but I do not want to offend anyone here by jumping in and assuming you would like ME to recommend a Hosting provider - when possibly you are referring to one of the other persons above.

• UPDATE FOR POST #8

*Regarding what I said in #6 above, this is the one disappointment I have with the Hosting Provider I use (247-Host . com) -

but nothing in this world is 100% perfect!

However I have a way of working around this one slight obstacle:

1) I go to my favorite Domain Name Registrar (which is Enom . com).

There I purchase my Domain Names, and I also purchase ID Protect at the same time for each Domain Name I purchase.

The cost is quite reasonable for both.

2) Then I go to 247-Host and select/purchase whichever Hosting Plan I want.

After that is purchased and confirmed, the Tech Department and the Sales Dept. send me Emails regarding my purchase.

3) I look for the info I need to make a change in the Nameservers - so that they can be pointed to my Hosting Provider.

4) I go back to Enom and make the change.

All of this takes only 15 to 20 minutes at most.

Should you have difficulty in knowing exactly what to do (in changing the Nameservers and where to go within the Enom website for this purpose), there is a posted phone number on the Enom website to call for technical help. Very convenient.

The ONLY other Hosting Provider I can recommend is HostGator.

However, they are not as good as 247-Host - but I have no complaints. Just that they do not offer everything in a VPS Plan that I can get with 247-Host; and Host Gator doesn't show all details in their features list for their Hosting Plans like 247-Host does.

Both 247-Host and HostGator give a percentage discount for all their plans for the first month.

Anyone interested in changing Host Providers, or, just starting out, should look at BOTH these websites.:)

DISCLAIMER:

I DO NOT get any monetary "kick back" (compensation) for recommending anyone to the website of either Host Provider mentioned above;

nor do I receive any other "consideration" for recommending them.;)

• Someone in 2008, called up Hostgator and said they were me and that I had stolen their website credentials and Hostgator changed my password and locked me out. It was more troublesome for me to get access to my site back than it was for them to gain access.

They deleted my site, defaced parts of others.

I decided no more shared hosting after that.

I would get a vps or a dedicated server.

• VPS and Dedicated Hosting Plans cost more but they are preferable over Shared Hosting!

Shared Hosting Plans are really not suitable for anyone who operates FORUM Software on their Website.

Dedicated Servers are a must if you have website / forum which typically has many Members (well over a 1,000).

And also if the website/forum one has includes a very active commerce site in addition to the many active forum members.

Additionally, if one's website/forum has many Videos included on it, anything less than a Dedicated Sever probably won't be satisfactory -

for several considerations/reasons.

Add to those features and conditions just stated above, an Audio / Video Chat System, a Dedicated Server is an absolute must ... if indeed not a

requirement; as the "high end" Audio / Video Chat System Software requires such for a smooth running operation; as well as Red 5.

With my new Website / Forum project I intend to have all of the above - when fully implemented and operational.

But of course one's best intentions and plans are always subject to a variety of unforeseen events which can "derail" those plans.

However, it will be a challenge - and fun - as I proceed.

With Woltlab Version 5.2 coming up in a few months, that makes my pursuing this project I have embarked upon, even more exciting.:P

• I have had a dedicated server since 2012

Reading over this Thread - and your comment above; and, your comment in Post # 5 - in the Thread I started, i.e., "Best procedure for optimizing Blogs / Forums / Websites?") pertaining to SSL Certificates - I became curious so I logged onto the Hosting Provider you use and viewed their Hosting Plans, but more importantly, which SSL Certificates they sell.

Interestingly enough, Hetzner Hosting sells Digicert and Thawte SSL Certificates - which the company I do business with - ENOM . com - also sells these brands of SSL Certificates; and they provide a detailed chart of each tier level.

When I had my last website, I looked into the various SSL Certificates Enom sells; and I spoke with a Tech Advisor about them. He advised me on which SSL Certificates would be best suited for me.

Then I discovered that my Hosting Provider (247-Host . com) provides a free SSL Certificate if purchasing one of their VPS Hosting Plans - of which I stated earlier in one of these Threads/Posts. I chose to go with their SSL Cetificate; and I was not disappointed in doing so.

There are real major differences in which grade (Tier Level) of SSL Certificates a website owner could purchse OR should purchase; however it all depends on what is truly needed for the type of website one is operating.

For me, it wouldn't be logical to invest in a top level SSL Certificate for a rather modest and simple website or forum.

But on the other hand, it wouldn't be logical for a major world wide business to purchase a low level SSL Certificate.

• There are no disadvantages when using a free SSL cert from Let's Encrypt. The warranty (which is the only difference between DV certs) is a myth, so there's no reason to get a paid certificate if you have the possibility to obtain/use a let's Encrypt certificate (which is supported by all major browsers).

The only exception is an EV certificate. But in most cases, you don't need one.

Here's a SSL check of my website as a simple example: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=1%2d2.dev&latest

As you can see: It's all (or mostly) a matter of the configuration and not the price you pay for a cert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!