Why is wowrack.com crawling my site?

• Every time I visit my site I see this IP 216.244.66.243 multiple times in the users online. The IP is from wow rack.com which is a cloud host. Why would wow rack.com crawl my site? I have tried blocking the IP but I still see it in the users online.

• Code
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from 127.0.0.1

... In this case, you will block 127.0.0.1...

This will work, i prefer to block IPs via iptables, because htaccess needs always to be read and processed by the webserver for every call...

Viele Grüsse aus Stuttgart, Kind Regards from Stuttgart
    TheSonic

• iIf you just only block a few addresses, it is fine. If you want to block big ranges, you should prefer another way not to stress your webserver and its performance :)

Viele Grüsse aus Stuttgart, Kind Regards from Stuttgart
    TheSonic

• Wowrack looks to be a hosting company. Chances are a (potentially) nefarious third party is 'shotgunning' (brute force scanning and crawling huge portions of) the internet looking for weaknesses in websites so they can do whatever it is nefarious third parties do.

IP blocks have become less and less effective in recent years mostly due to the exhaustion of the IpV4 address space (IPs need to be constantly changing to help alleviate the exhaustion).

In the case of blocking a hosting company, though, you can generally (but not always) block the entire range of IP addresses that a hosting company uses. A brief Google search didn't immediately reveal Wowracks IP range. If you do find they have an IP address range, TheSonic's suggestion of IPTables (or some other firewall software) is the most performant choice for blocking an IP range.

It's not very likely to do much good, but you could also contact the abuse email for Wowrack, found here.

• Don't worry Paul. I can afford to buy all the licences I want. But I don't run a forum now, I stopped running a forum ages ago.

Unlike you, who never knows when to call it quits. You look daft keep talking to yourself each time you bring it back again, which is usually every week. ;)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (8. Mai 2019 um 00:10)

• Don't worry Paul. I can afford to buy all the licences I want. But I don't run a forum now, I stopped running a forum ages ago.

What have you been doing with your time for the last 5 months, playing WOT?

• Then why not just ignore him?

As much as I love WoltLab software, I have to say that it has the absolute worst ignore/block feature of any paid forum script available. I have GTB blocked right now and can still see that he replied to this thread. I won’t let any of his asinine comments directed at me go unanswered. WoltLab should ban him from using the support forums like XenForo did.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!