Real value between the 3.0.x and 3.1.x Series of your products

• Good morning

We are client of your products. We have bought the version 4.1.x of the WoltLab Burning Board which is still in production on our servers (lack of time for update process), and also the version 5.x of the WoltLab Suite Forum (Burning Board).

We've also bought the version 2.1.x of the WoltLab Suite Filebase which is still in production on our servers and also the version 3.0.x.

We've just saw that a new version of your Woltlab suite was released (Serie 3.1.x). At this regard, even if we are not against paying for license extensions of these products, some questions still remain:

1. Why do we need bought a license extension for such a minor version?
    2. What is the real value provided by such minor version exactly?

From our side, we generally considere a minor version as a bugfixes release with few enhancement and after reading the CHANGELOG, we don't see any real value or enhancement that can explain for license extensions. For instance, for the filebase suit, we would be really happy to pay a license extension, or even a new full license for a fully featured billing layer. What is the state regarding that billing layer?

Don't take our sentence wrong, We're not blaming you for selling of your products. We would just want get some clarifications regarding your billing process.

Thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

We differentiate between minor (change of the third digit in the version number) and major updates (change of the first or second digit). Minor updates only contain bug fixes and are always free of charge. Major updates are paid updates that include new and improved features.

A complete list of the changes of version 3.1 can be found here:

Features and Improvements in WoltLab Suite 3.1

• We differentiate between minor (change of the third digit in the version number) and major updates (change of the first or second digit). Minor updates only contain bug fixes and are always free of charge. Major updates are paid updates that include new and improved features.

A complete list of the changes of version 3.1 can be found here:

Features and Improvements in WoltLab Suite 3.1

Thanks. Before going ahead, could you say us if there are exporter/importer for both Woltlab Forum and Filebase? We want migrate respectively from 4.1.x (forum) and 2.1.x (filebase). We cannot follow normal update path as we have ton of plugin that we cannot uninstall. See

I'm now wondering if I don't need to uninstall the dependent plugins first to be able to uninstall the other plugins, that is, those with a gray cross. What I'll do first is to replicate the current installation on a vm, then try upgrade to version 3.0 first. Is that the road I should take?

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von i-MSCP (28. Mai 2018 um 20:18)

• There is currently no import function for the filebase. We recommend the regular update process instead.

For the cost and license extension that you ask, this is a bit annoying... We would expect an exporter/importer. But according the short answer you made, I don't think that you care much...

Filebase module make us able to sell our products. In return, we are able to purchase your products.. You see what I mean here? If that layer is not supported we cannot longer rely on your software.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello i-MSCP,

the importer system is designed with a maximum of compatibility in mind and is effectively able to import data from otherwise broken and/or dysfunctional systems. We're also supporting a wide range of different third party products to enable as many people as possible to make a move to our software suite. Unfortunately, this comes at a penalty of using only a common denominator for the data being processed, eventually covering only a fraction of what our software is capable of.

We strongly suggest that you run a regular upgrade instead, it preserves all primary and secondary data (such as meta data, e. g. recent activies). If there are packages that cannot be upgraded for whatever reason, I suggest that you uninstall those first. Some packages may depend on others, you can click on any of these greyed-out packages to get taken to the details package which reveals all packages that depend on it. It will take you just a couple of minutes to remove all such packages and you're done.

I would also like to suggest that you clone your installation and perform all steps including but not limited to the upgrade as a sort of a dry run - making a few quick notes might help. By the way, have you read the guide on the upgrade procedure yet? Upgrading Burning Board 4.1 to WoltLab Suite 3.0 has a simple step-by-step list that covers all important steps and should make your life easier.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• Alexander Ebert

We finally updated. https://i-mscp.net/

There are still adjustement to perform but...

That is maybe the last time that we purchase new licenses for your softwares because seriously, there are not real value between Woltlab Suite 3.0 and 3.1, specially for Filebase... The changes made between the version 3.0 and 3.1 do not justify the price charged for the license extensions... You're talking about new features while as developers, we only see bugfixes and small review/enhancement of existent features ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!