A decent shoubox

• the one that is sold for XenForo

I am pretty sure it's the one of DragonByte Tech?! I use(d) it on vB and XenForo and NEVER EVER have seen a better ShoutBox on ANY other system... DragonByte Tech should release it for all commercial Forums-Packages out there.. :love: I would buy it for every plattform i use <3

Viele Grüsse aus Stuttgart, Kind Regards from Stuttgart
    TheSonic / Alex

..:: D3F3CT3D ... to the house music !::..
    Sometimes the going gets a little tough...

• I am pretty sure it's the one of DragonByte Tech?!

No, the best one for XenForo it seems which Paul is talking about is that "Siropu Chat". https://xenforo.com/community/resources/chat-by-siropu.4309/

But there are two other chats as well they have for XenForo, like the one you mentioned and another one also, both are pretty feature packed. You also have a very good one for phpBB called MCHAT, which I use on my phpBB forum. WBB sadly just lacks a proper shoutbox with decent features.

• No, the best one for XenForo it seems which Paul is talking about is that "Siropu Chat". https://xenforo.com/community/resources/chat-by-siropu.4309/

But there are two other chats as well they have for XenForo, like the one you mentioned and another one also, both are pretty feature packed. You also have a very good one for phpBB called MCHAT, which I use on my phpBB forum. WBB sadly just lacks a proper shoutbox with decent features.

Ah, thanks for the link, didn't notice that one - i am still in love with DragonByte Tech :)

Yeah, i use external solution for the sites of WSC i really need a chat... eg. ArrowChat, but thats much more than a Shoutbox :/

Viele Grüsse aus Stuttgart, Kind Regards from Stuttgart
    TheSonic / Alex

..:: D3F3CT3D ... to the house music !::..
    Sometimes the going gets a little tough...

• Bringing this back up because I hope someone will consider it with the coming of the new Woltlab version. Even just an edit function would be a huge improvement over what's available now.

• An option to quote other members would be great too.

We had this option, but removed it, because that's everything but not performant. Furthermore, every single icon takes space and there's not much space when being displayed in the sidebar for example.

But writing > text to quote isn't that hard. Even on a phone :)

• You could add the quote icon maybe at the end of the message in each shout, or even do like you have with the smilies and have another expanding dropdown box situated below the shoutbox that has all the BBCode buttons. The latter wouldn't really effect the shoutbox being shown in the sidebar if being a closing/expanding box like the smilies uses for BBCode buttons.

Something else though. I noticed the shoutbox doesn't seem to have any prune settings, nor does it prune any shouts and lists them all in the shoutbox over time which starts to lag the shoutbox a bit with so many messages listed in it for loading. And when you load the extra old shouts listed in it, they seem to be using an auto-scroll method that loads them in "batches" (there is no smooth scrolling to read older messages) because of it. You should really think about adding some pruning settings to only have so many shouts displayed in the shoutbox at any one time to improve the performance.

That is what the Archive page is for, showing all older shouts not displayed in the shoutbox.

• Something else though. I noticed the shoutbox doesn't seem to have any prune settings, nor does it prune any shouts and lists them all in the shoutbox over time which starts to lag the shoutbox a bit with so many messages listed in it for loading. And when you load the extra old shouts listed in it, they seem to be using an auto-scroll method that loads them in "batches" (there is no smooth scrolling to read older messages) because of it. You should really think about adding some pruning settings to only have so many shouts displayed in the shoutbox at any one time to improve the performance.

That's already planned for the next version.

However, loads of shouts shouldn't cause a lag. The shoutbox in our support forum for example currently holds 1497 shouts. When loading a page including the shoutbox, always the last 20 shouts are loaded, until you scroll up. When scrolling up, 20 more shouts will be loaded (and so on).

• The shoutbox in our support forum for example currently holds 1497 shouts.

Well okay. But what if a person has the shoutbox so the last message posted is displayed at the BOTTOM of the shoutbox (and not top). Everytime you change the page from one page back to the Dashboard page the shoutbox is on. All those messages have to be loaded each time in the shoutbox to show the last shout at the bottom of the list. If you had 2000 shout messages listed in shoutbox that has to be loaded each time to show last shout at bottom when you change pages and come back to dashboard, Hmm?

That is why it really needs a settings for setting how many messages are displayed in the shoutbox at any one time. Also the reason why I also have the last shout listed at TOP of list and not Bottom of list, so each time you switch pages the shoutbox isn't loading all messages to the very bottom of list.

The way I see it, it would be good if it had 4 main features that's needed most added. Edit shouts, Quote a Shout, Prune messages (with a number of messages kept in DB setting) run on a Cron job maybe every 24 hours (or even settable to run more often). And last, a setting you can set for how many shouts are listed in the shoutbox at any one time.

• Well okay. But what if a person has the shoutbox so the last message posted is displayed at the BOTTOM of the shoutbox (and not top of list). Everytime you change the page from one page back to the Dashboard page the shoutbox is on. All those shoutbox have to be loaded each time in the shoutbox to show the last shout at the bottom. If you had 2000 shout messages in shoutbox that has to be loaded each time to show last shout at bottom when you change pages and come back, Hmm?

even if we had 200k shouts in a shoutbox, this wouldn't be a problem, again: we always send only the last 20 shouts to the user (if he didn't explicitly requests older shouts) and the usage of indices in MySQL makes requesting shouts not more demanding then for example the posts in a thread.

We also use modern caching techniques to prevent requesting new shouts on every page refresh whenever possible and allow cross tab communication so that 20 pages with the same shoutbox will request updates only once.

PS.: Sorting of whouts is done by the browser, the backend doesn't care about the frontend sporting and the fronend only cares if shouts shout be appended to the list or prepended...

• Aye, okay. I get what you mean then about it'll only load the first 20 shouts and not all of them on each page request with shoutbox listed on it. That is fine then, I didn't know that.

But you do know the way it loads those batches of shouts when you do scroll down the list, that it is pretty hard to read older shouts proper because it's not like they are loaded smoothly 1 shout at a time with older messages as you scroll down the list,

But anyway, I still think the other 3 things I mentioned: Edit shouts, Quote a shout, plus those two settings to do with pruning shouts/how many shout messages are listed in the shoutbox would make a big difference for using it.

• Furthermore, every single icon takes space and there's not much space when being displayed in the sidebar for example.

this is how the icons are displayed in my phpBB shoutbox to get around that problem.

You also see below the message input box, both smilies and BBCode buttons are loaded in drop down boxes

• But anyway, I still think the other 3 things I mentioned: Edit shouts, Quote a shout, plus those two settings to do with pruning shouts/how many shout messages are listed in the shoutbox would make a big difference for using it.

Being able to "Like" a shout and get notified when you are mentioned in a shout would be great too.