How to moderate first X posts?

1. Set the permission "Can start topics with moderation" and "can reply without moderation" to "no" in the user group "registered users"
    2. Create a new group in which you allow both things.
    3. Set up automatic assignments so that users get assigned to the aforementioned group after X posts (Users > Automatic Assignments > Content > Posts > More then X)

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• The best thing to do is is add another new custom group and call it something like "Members". So you have "Users and Members" groups. Then make the default Users group very restrictive that new people go into after joining. Then create a new promotion that moves people auto from Users group - to Members group after so many posts. Then set-up USERS group to have all their posts moderated and stop them from using lot of things like private messages and likes, etc.

That is what I did before and works perfect by making the default USERS group very restictive new people go into when joining the forum and use a custom group with a promotion as the proper MEMBERS group

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (19. März 2018 um 23:01)

1. Set the permission "Can start topics with moderation" and "can reply without moderation" to "no" in the user group "registered users"
    2. Create a new group in which you allow both things.
    3. Set up automatic assignments so that users get assigned to the aforementioned group after X posts (Users > Automatic Assignments > Content > Posts > More then X)

Does an automatic assignment function for all users and not one specifically? I assume so, but am a little confused as to whether I've ticked all the right boxes.

A spammer got through yesterday and I didn't receive moderation notification in spite of using an auto assignment of posts >3. Are any other boxes supposed to be ticked?

I understand the principle, but surely if a user doesn't fulfil ONE criteria, the system kicks in?

• What are he permissions for the board in which he posted? If you allow creation of threads via board permissions this might be possible. You could try to set those boxes to "never", that should overwrite any lingering board permissions that might be set.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• Does an automatic assignment function for all users and not one specifically?

Why would you want automatic promotion to target one user only - and not all users that join the USERS usergroup. I don't get that one, you don't even know who would be joining the forum anyway to target one user with moderated posts? :/

And if you wanted to target one user only, then create a new usergroup you can quickly move trouble-sum users into that limits them. Call the new group Restricted (or whatever).

• Why would you want automatic promotion to target one user only - and not all users that join the USERS usergroup. I don't get that one, you don't even know who would be joining the forum anyway to target one user with moderated posts? :/

And if you wanted to target one user only, then create a new usergroup you can quickly move trouble-sum users into that limits them. Call the new group Restricted (or whatever).

I don't want to target one user only, but the Auto assign gives the impression that's possible as per this image. Targeting one user is crystal ball stuff anyway.

Anyway, I'm still working on how the spammer got through the net.

• It targets any user that fulfills those criteria.

Have you taken a look at the board permissions? How are those set up? Have you tried setting the permissions to "never"?

• I considered 'never' but how would a potentially good member ever achieve the fulfilment of say, >3 posts?

By getting them approved by the moderators ;)

• Okay, got that.

But going back a bit, this is what I've done.

All the members are in the default group USERS. I then changed only the two permissions as suggested, can start threads/reply without approval to NO.

I then created a new group called Approved Members with those permissions set to YES, then did an auto assign to Approved Members for users who fulfil the greater than 3 posts criteria. Nothing else and the spammer still got through.

I'm sure I've missed something :/

• All the members are in the default group USERS.

The default group is "Registered Users", I suppose you are talking about that?

Best way to find out how this might have happened is to create a new user and retrace all the steps the spammer did take.

Since you did not mention it, are you sure there are no permissions set on the individual boards? You might have set them a while ago and not checked them right now, and I think board permissions overwrite group permissions, unless the latter are set to "never".

• Mine looks like this.

You're probably right, I never set forum/board permissions and whilst navigating around, it seems that the way to set forum permissions is to add a User Group permission to a board (called forums in the ACP) like 'Welcome' for example , then copy those forum permissions to all the forums by using shift+mouse select.

Again, I'm assuming that by applying all the forum permissions of the group Approved Members, the members of which have already been auto assigned to this group for fulfilling the >3 posts and >10 points, other users NOT in this user group will not be able to post/create threads without approval.

Or, should I apply the now more limited permissions of the group Users?

It's very clear and logical, but sometimes not so easy to get one's head around.

• it seems that the way to set forum permissions is to add a User Group permission to a board (called forums in the ACP) like 'Welcome' for example , then copy those forum permissions to all the forums by using shift+mouse select

That is possible, but I would not recommend it. That is the most work-intense and error-prone way one could probably do it.

Set the permissions on a group basis. Then, only set board/forum permissions on forums where you actually need different permissions then those that you have set in the group permissions.

Also, board permissions are inherited, so it is enough to set them at the top most board, and not for every sub-board.

• Check that EVERYONE group is not set as YES to post comment and post them "without approval", otherwise setting NO on Members groups, or Guest group won't work unless you use NEVER. You should change "everyone" group to No for posting any messages permissions - then a Yes can override the No on all other members groups (while you can still set No for guests "and it work" to match the everyone group) having No.

Keep in mind a No cannot override a Yes set on the EVERYONE group, only a NEVER can override it. So it's best really to set most things as No for the EVERYONE group.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (21. März 2018 um 12:32)

• It sounds like you have Can Post Without Approval set to Yes on the EVERYONE group and you are trying to use No for that with USERS groups, which won't work because you have EVERYONE group set as Yes for the same thing (and a No cannot override a Yes set on everyone group). So you need either use NEVER permission with USERS for it, or change it with EVERYONE group to No, then a No will work on USERS group for it

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!