User Permissions (Need Help)

• Hello,

I need little help with the User Permissions .

What i want is this:

When a guest comes to my forum to see this: (pic.1)

[Blocked Image: http://i65.tinypic.com/2ef6u1i.jpg]

and if they try to click on any link, to make them to register first before they can access it any forward it!

Right now , a guess when it accessing my forum will get the log in or register page: (pic.2)

[Blocked Image: http://i63.tinypic.com/65rjac.jpg]

I want the guests to see the interface , section categories,but if want to access the forum sections to register first.

Thank you for any help.

Regards,

(Forum: https://www.bmw750li.com)

• ^^ Doch, er war ehrlich. In seiner Signatur. Vielleicht nach deinem Kommi erst eingepflegt? Aber rein virtuell ist er als Tester in einer Grauzone vielleicht doch berechtigt. lol.

"Testing this Forum Script (Trial) :)"

• No Problem, don't worry is fine.

So witch area suppose to be? a link? or maybe a moderator here can moved to the right section.

I just need the help with those permissions.

Thanks,

• Hi patrocle ,

please, what is your real language? From your nickname, I guess, your native language could be Español?

because I didn't get your question. Let's give it a try.

You can force register in ACP - Configuration - Options - User - Registration --> First button.

Alexander Ebert : Habe eben beim Ändern der Sprache von Deutsch auf Englisch fetsgestellt, daß das ganze ACP in deutsch bleibt. Möglich, daß ich die Tage aus Versehen die englische Sprachdatei importiert habe, aber englische xml importiere ich ausnahmslos nicht.

Muss leider sofort weg, sonst hätte ich es mehr getestet und sofern tatsächlich existent, ein Thema unter Fehler aufgemacht. Sorry dafür.

Gruss

• Try and keep in mind if you set things with the EVERYONE group as YES, then a NO used with over groups for the same setting will not work and must be set as NEVER instead to override the YES from that EVERYONE group. A No cannot override a YES with all other groups, if the EVERYONE group has something set as YES. But a YES can override a No . So really you are better setting most things as NO for the EVERYONE group, so then you can override that No with a Yes used with all other group for the same setting.

For example: If you have the EVERYONE group set a YES for "can report posts" and you set GUEST group as NO for the same setting, they will still be able to report posts. Instead you would have to use NEVER for that setting with GUESTS, or instead set EVERYONE as No for that setting, then the NO would also would for guests without you needing to use NEVER, then for member other groups could be set as YES for that setting which would override the No for "can report posts" on the EVERYONE group

• Hi patrocle ,

please, what is your real language? From your nickname, I guess, your native language could be Español?

because I didn't get your question. Let's give it a try.

You can force register in ACP - Configuration - Options - User - Registration --> First button.

Dukemaster , by doing that "You can force register in ACP - Configuration - Options - User - Registration --> First button." then the guests that arrive on the site can not see the site and what is all about it! and they leave if they do not register.

Plus with forced to register, google spiders do not index your site.

I had that enabled from the time i installed the forum to try it out,and my domain being new nothing was indexed in google. But now, last night i disabled the force login and now i have 29 pages indexed in google.

What i was trying to achieve was :

A. Guests arrive to my forum and can see the home page of the forum with all the categories,and sub-categories, like this:

[Blocked Image: http://i67.tinypic.com/2vj3fw3.jpg]

Then if they click any link from there , to send them to log-in and or register page, this way will make them register to site.

I guess will have to go and play more with the permissions.

(I m from Europe)

Thanks,

• Can we keep discussing this because I have exactly the same problem and CANNOT figure out what to do. I want the forum visible to visitors, but I want to restrict them from certain places and from downloading files, etc.

Where are UNREGISTERED VISITORS listed in the user permissions? Is there a default account that visitors are placed into where I can set those permissions? I gather that is not "Everyone" or "users" -- or is it?

If someone could explain this I would be very appreciative. I know how to set permissions for users who are registered, but I can't figure out where UNREGISTERED users fall.

THANKS!!!

• Yes, the EVERYONE group also controls what guests can do. I explained that before, that if you have everyone group setup as YES to report posts, then using No (and not NEVER) with guest group would not stop guests from reporting posts because a No cannot override Yes used with everyone group. You would have to use NEVER with guests if the everyone group was set to Yes for reporting posts.

So you have to keep in mind that the EVERYONE group also controls what Guests group can do.

A simple rule to follow. If the EVERYONE group uses a YES for something. Then with all other groups you need to use NEVER to not allow that settings. But if the EVERYONE group uses a NO for something, then a YES can override a NO on other groups.

Which is why I said you are better really setting as many things to NO as you can with the everyone group, then you only need use a Yes with all other groups to override the No. Because oif too many things are set as Yes with everyone group, you're going to have to be using NEVER on other groups way too much

• The best and easiest way to deal with permissions, especially "everyone", is to set all options in "Everyone" to "NO".

In other words to deprive the user group "everyone" of all rights. This is the best according to rights and much more for security.

From this moment on you can feel free to set precisely each other permission in other user groups to fit your needs.

This is the recommendation, not alone my, more from all long-term Woltlab users. It's the best and most comfortable way. Only if you have special environments, perhaps plugins, then you need to adjust only one or a few permissions in "Everyone" to yes.

Lots of greets

• What i was trying to achieve was :

A. Guests arrive to my forum and can see the home page of the forum with all the categories,and sub-categories, like this:

Then if they click any link from there , to send them to log-in and or register page, this way will make them register to site.

Hmm, you would have the set all those forums up so guests can see forums (but deny permission to read forums with guest group). But that would not send them to a log-in page (I don't think so), it would just show them a "deny" error message telling them they must be registered to read the forum. Or something like that!

That I think is the best way to go about it.

I do that on my forum with a private forum I have. Guests can see the forum listed, but if they try and read that forum they get shown a message saying they don't have permission and must be registered and logged in to read it. Which is only a simple case of changing forums permissions (not usergroup permissions) for guest group so they can "view forums", but then set it so they "cannot read them".

But you should do that via each forum permission settings, so you can let guests read some forums and not others on an individual forum bases. If you look at each forum settings, you will see a tab for permissions that lets you add groups (such as guests) and then you can control the permission settings for them with that forum. When you add guest group to that forum permission page - you have a lot of "Yes and No" boxes for each forum permission setting. You don't need tick every box, just tick no in the box for cannot read forum and leave all the other boxes unticked with nothing in them