Prevent quoted posts being edited

• App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

I just had a serious incident today and not for the first time, when a member "accidentally" added additional text into a quoted post of mine in a very controversial thread. He claims that he simply clicked the wrong button, but he added two lines of text into a post of mine that he quoted which gives the impression that I support the extermination of Muslims in Burma, which I most certainly do not.X( That is more than clicking a button...

Is there any chance that once someone has selected text to quote from another member by highlighting it with a mouse or clicking the quote button, that the quoted text becomes locked and cannot be edited to give the impression that someone wrote something, when in fact they did not.

thanks

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• I just had a serious incident today and not for the first time, when a member "accidentally" added additional text into a quoted post of mine in a very controversial thread. He claims that he simply clicked the wrong button, but he added two lines of text into a post of mine that he quoted which gives the impression that I support the extermination of Muslims in Burma, which I most certainly do not.X( That is more than clicking a button...

Is there any chance that once someone has selected text to quote from another member by highlighting it with a mouse or clicking the quote button, that the quoted text becomes locked and cannot be edited to give the impression that someone wrote something, when in fact they did not.

thanks

A very good point you have made!

Personally I believe quoted text should not be edited by anyone other than the person who made the original quote (statement); the ability

for someone to make changes - (within a quote that is not his or hers) - can possibly lead to adverse consequences for the individual who

made the original statement.

This is an especially sensitive area when it comes to many discussion topics - especially in political discussions - but also those subjects

which greatly depend upon truthfulness and accuracy to be conveyed to other individuals who may read the Post/s.

A case in point on my own website / forum - (previously, but will no longer be Staff Policy) - involved the urge for me

( as well as for my Moderator) to make corrections in grammar, sentence and paragraph structure, and/or font changes wherever it was

readily apparent that such grammar, sentence and paragraph structure was (in a strict sense of correctness, neatness, and/or aesthetically

pleasing manner) was apparently called for.

However in Forums, this particular criterion (as noted above) probably should not be engaged, possibly except for the most blatantly displayed

controversial or prejudiced issue of expression.

Thank you, Jupiter for bringing up this issue.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!