Can't upgrade to RC1

• Compatibility is a lot about testing each and every chance against all relevant bits of the code.

As I already said via conversation:

You could display a warning before an upgrade, that it's on the administrators own risk and you'll get support only in that one case when you're using all packages with the newest version (in that case still meh). So it's possible to upgrade the WSC and use it's new features like the contact form or other cool things without spending much money in something you might not actually need or you just don't have that money because you're a child or idk.

I think that would be a good/better solution.

Mixing up versions build for different versions of the Core quickly lead to highly inconsistent feature-sets and a fragmented user experience for your users.

Of course it does. But everyone could do some optical corrections if it looks strange - or buy the new version.

Especially given the unified appearance it won't make sense that the same feature in app A behaves totally different than the feature in app B, (this also true with only a single app, because the Core also provides various features directly).

Do you have an example for that? Since most things end up within Core-features after passing xyz other methods.

For example, the sitemap consists of the core API that is provided by the Core and the individual implementation in the app to have it work to it. A sitemap with Core 3.1, but Forum 5.0 would lead to a generated sitemap that includes all the Core's pages (e. g. user profiles), but without any posts and threads, because this was implement with Forum 5.1. Worst of all, this can be easily missed and users start viewing this as an error in the software ("Why is the forum missing in the sitemap?"), but in reality this is just the result of mixed versions.

Hmm, yes. But it's kinds bad example (as you're already saying), because you can implement that by using a plugin and then it would be a complete sitemap. ;)

For the question of "why blabla?": You can tell them it's a new feature and you'd need to implement it on your own or buy an upgrade. No problem or bad image for me.

• Any change in the Core must be validated against all our products to prevent new additions or updates from breaking existing features. "Breaking" is also not only about having actions abort early due to an error, but also errors that permanently damage parts of an installation that cannot be recovered from.

Welcome to the world of 3rdParty devs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Without hooking to the commit notifications and looking at each commit, we're sentenced to make breaks.

• As I already said via conversation:

You could display a warning before an upgrade, that it's on the administrators own risk and you'll get support only in that one case when you're using all packages with the newest version (in that case still meh). So it's possible to upgrade the WSC and use it's new features like the contact form or other cool things without spending much money in something you might not actually need or you just don't have that money because you're a child or idk.

I think that would be a good/better solution.

No, what I am talking about it making potential customers aware of this issue before they hand over any money. That way they can make a judgement as to whether they wish to purchase WOltLab software or not. As in my case, once the software is purchased, having a message after the case when a new version comes along is too late.

I don't know what a idk is.

The problem I have is that I am struggling to attract new members to my forum because nobody knows about my site. There are two main ways to promote my site that I'm aware of: via social media, but this software lacks social media sharing icons for each post - something I totally overlooked when I made the purchase. The other method is by being in a good position on search engine pages.

I had vbulletin5 before coming to WoltLab with a built in sitemap that helped my site to achieve page 2 on Google rankings for some of the search terms I am targeting such as politics. Since the switch over to WOltLab software, my rankings collapsed, which is why I am interested in the built in site map feature of 3.1. But I cannot justify, let alone afford to upgrade all the WoltLab apps, especially considering the Blog has only 4 minor changes in 3.1.

Either WoltLab should sell all the apps together for one price, or, as I believed when I purchased the software, each app can be updated as and when when required.

Another option would be to go the subscription model already outlined.

Another option for me is to give up on forums like most people do now and go to Facebook. I hate Facebook.

What do I do:?:

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• I have read every post made in this thread as it is interesting - to say the least - what other Woltlab Forum Software users are experiencing;

and also because I fully intend to UPGRADE from WSC 3.0.11 pl 1 TO 3.1 - ( TO WSF 5.1 ). I am also upgrading the present version of

GALLERY I have on my Forum at the same time.

However, I probably will delay doing so until after 3.1 is in final format - I believe Alexander said that is expected to be sometime in February.

But there is something else that has occurred to me in reading ALL posts made in this Thread:

Say for example I was just now coming to Woltlab Forum - in other words, have not yet purchased ANY of the Woltlab Software Programs -

and I came across this Thread ...... and read it thoroughly; I can't help but wonder what my reaction would have been in this case .....

and that leads me to wonder what "reactions" there might be from other potential customers of Woltlab who just "logged in" and

were contemplating purchasing / using Woltlab Software???

I certainly cannot speak for the Developers of Woltlab .... but if I were one of the "developers", I would be a bit concerned (worried?)

about this issue, e.g., the implications that this Thread raises!

Thank goodness I am NOT a "new" (or yet "to become a new") Customer/Purchaser of Woltlab Software.;)

• NOTE: Post #23 was NOT seen by me until after I made (published) by Post - Post #24.

But this latest Post only reinforces my conviction regarding everything I said in Post 24 - especially my last sentence!;)

• Yes, Ruff Seas you are absolutely right. This thread goes in the wrong direction.

But I will mention something else.

My Woltlab board is running since 2006 through all versions, later also together with blog, gallery, calendar.

Woltlabs way and software is highly respected and appreciated by experts who know a lot about web techniques.

Especially the Woltlab Core is developed with highest skills, so much comfortable that other community software developers try to copy this way of development.

1. Woltlabs price model is sexy :!: Personally, I hate the subscribtion model sooo much, it's only to make the highest profits on the back of customers, because you can use software only as long as you pay the yearly/monthly price. For music flats it might be the best, but never ever for a precious software.

Here at Woltlabs you can use the software for lifetime. (I know boards which still running the old version 2.3.6, but successful with thousands of daily users.

2. The problem updating only all or nothing is a problem for sure. It's due to the excellent development work, incredible features and great possibilities for 3rd party developers and web designers to fulfill everyones wishes.

Everything has to fit to another. There is no need to update. If you want it, then save up the money over the whole year. This is my way.

3. Please, don't mix your existing versions with new versions. Maybe it might be working, but the problems will arise later.

:thumbup:Stay tuned...

• Woltlabs way and software is highly respected and appreciated by experts who know a lot about web techniques.

Could you link some international sources... I could not find that "experts" on thge normal sources (but would like to... Thats not a flame, i am really interested in opionos of such things (not just forwsc).

1. Woltlabs price model is sexy :!: Personally, I hate the subscribtion model sooo much, it's only to make the highest profits on the back of customers, because you can use software only as long as you pay the yearly/monthly price. For music flats it might be the best, but never ever for a precious software.

Here at Woltlabs you can use the software for lifetime. (I know boards which still running the old version 2.3.6, but successful with thousands of daily users.

Same for Subscription of the MajorPlayers of Community-Software... If you stop paying the fees, you are still allowed to run the software you have for lifetime - but yo will not get updates and support, until you pay your fees again... (There was an other licensemodel for vBulletin years ago, but that do not longer exist....) So... Whats the difference... ?

Viele Grüsse aus Stuttgart, Kind Regards from Stuttgart
    TheSonic / Alex

,,::<*> DiabetesTalk - Dein DiabetesForum (New) ::..

• 2. The problem updating only all or nothing is a problem for sure. It's due to the excellent development work, incredible features and great possibilities for 3rd party developers and web designers to fulfill everyones wishes.

Everything has to fit to another. There is no need to update. If you want it, then save up the money over the whole year. This is my way.

3. Please, don't mix your existing versions with new versions. Maybe it might be working, but the problems will arising later.

After reviewing Alexander's comments, I decided not to mix versions. I''ve purchased all the 3.1 versions of the apps I used previously, but unlike the betas, all the 3rd party plugins aren't currently working.

My stance remains that WoltLab should stipulate to potential new customers that if they ever wish to update the software in the future to new versions, they have to update and purchase ALL the apps, or none at all.

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• I could not find that "experts" on thge normal sources

Since Google gave up it's independence and is still ´n´ only a shopping maschine, nobody on planet earth is be able to find anything. We are only be able to find what they select and give us to find!

What I read about the success of Woltlab over a period of 12 years being Woltlab customer you can find on Internet by yourself, young man. My advice is not to use Google search engine. When I go on a special Internet hunt like this I will always choose wayback machine, sometimes Yahoo. This is my recommendation.