Can't upgrade to RC1

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 3.0

I have tested various plugins with all the beta versions on my site over the last several weeks. With the exception of one plugin, all of them worked well with all the betas, so I assumed this would be the same when RC1 was released, it's not.

When RC1 was released, I tried to update my live site to it but got the message as outlined below. I understand that there is a "forced exclude" on the plugins in the plugin store preventing the upgrade to RC1.

When will this forced exclude be switched off, so that I can upgrade my site to RC1, or do I have to wait until the final version?

thanks

Jupiter

Installed Packages

The following packages are not compatible with the packages you are trying to install.

• “WoltLab Suite Core: Moderated User Groups” in version “3.0.10” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “WoltLab Suite Blog” in version “3.0.11” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “WoltLab Suite Gallery” in version “3.0.11” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “WoltLab Suite Calendar” in version “3.0.11” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “Account Switch” in version “3.0.1” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “Own Post List” in version “1.0.0” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “UZ Community Bot 3” in version “3.0.3 pl 4” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “UZ Community Bot 3 - Forum Extension” in version “3.0.3” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “Who has replied to a topic” in version “2.0.0” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “MediaElement.js Integration” in version “1.2.0 pl 1” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “MediaProvider PIP” in version “1.0.3” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “MediaProvider Collection (WSC)” in version “1.0.3” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “Destinaja - Packageserver for Plugins (WSC 3.0)” in version “1.0.0” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “WoltLab Suite Forum: Add Thread Dialog” in version “1.0.0” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Forum (Burning Board)” to version “5.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “WoltLab Suite Forum: Add Thread Dialog” in version “1.0.0” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “UZ Pillory for WSC” in version “3.0.0 pl 1” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.
    • “Multihunter 3” in version “3.0.2 pl 3” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Jupiter (19. Januar 2018 um 00:09)

• Offizieller Beitrag

First of all, please use the automatic update, it can handle complex setups where multiple packages need to be upgrade at once, the manual upload cannot do this at all.

Second, many plugins already provide newer versions or are actively being worked on, so it makes sense to wait a bit to have everything adjusted.

• It is the automatic update I was using, but why are some WoltLab apps not able to be updated? Ie, it says

• “WoltLab Suite Blog” in version “3.0.11” prevents an update of “WoltLab Suite Core” to version “3.1.0 RC 1”.

• I did uncheck some of the apps because some of them, especially the blog, has only had four changes done to it, so I don't wish to upgrade that app at the moment.

How do upgrade the apps I do want to RC1, especially the Core and Forum?

thanks

• You are forced either to update everything or nothing. As I know the 3.0 apps won't work on core 3.1.

8|8|8|8|8|8|8|

Surely that cannot be the case?

Alexander Ebert

Please comment, thank you.

You just believe what WoltLab tells you. It's a trap.

I don't understand. Who's trapping who and over what?

• I'm totally lost on all this and am really not happy.X(

Mystercode's posts are in German as they're screenshots, I can't put them through Google translate, so I don't understand, but besides, no other forum software prevents you from updating only the bits you want to update. Why is WoltLab implemented like this?

If I had know this, I would not have bought the software. It's dishonest.

The blog has only four minor changes to it, and so why on earth would anyone want to pay for it?

I currently have 6 active members on my site, how can I afford to pay for these upgrades, as clearly WoltLab want to force me to update all of them.

Not happy. Not happy at all. It's a game changer for me with this software.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Jupiter (19. Januar 2018 um 14:55)

• It's basically a choice of staying on version 3 forever, or upgrading EVERY single app, even if I only require the new features of one of them.

Totally dishonest.

• Jupiter You are able to run x.0 apps on WSC 3.1 with the current version with minor changes.... Maybe, they change this in further versions.

It's the same at XenForo or IPS (i ran both), BUT you have a global license, so if you're license is active, you are able to upgrade all of them (But it's not possible to run IP.Blog 4.1 on IP.Core 4.2 for eg. - but this make no sense, because you get 4.2 with your license).

Here at Woltlab, you pay not a subscription, you pay single apps, so you have to pay a fee for every app (...because they don't use the subscription model)...
    I also don't like it, but that's the way it is (but, to be fair, that's something i noticed then buying the software, so it's nothing new after this release (on the other hand, you may drop eg. Blogs here and upgrade it at at a later time... At xenForo or IPS, you HAVE TO pay the fee - if you don't want to use this app, they remove it from your license and you have to pay the full price, if you want it to use it agin... At Woltlab, you may wait half a year and renew eg. Blogs then without having disadvantages... It's a personal decission, what you like more)

Viele Grüsse aus Stuttgart, Kind Regards from Stuttgart
    TheSonic

• Offizieller Beitrag

We can see the reason behind selective updates and from a purely feature-oriented perspective this totally makes sense - we can't argue with that.

However, as with all things, there is more taking place behind the curtains that is not obvious at a first glance, so please allow me to explain the reasons behind all of this:

1. Compatibility is a lot about testing each and every chance against all relevant bits of the code. Any change in the Core must be validated against all our products to prevent new additions or updates from breaking existing features. "Breaking" is also not only about having actions abort early due to an error, but also errors that permanently damage parts of an installation that cannot be recovered from.
      With an increasing amount of permutations of compatible versions also comes an exponentially growing amount of work that is purely dedicated to this task, up until a point where it becomes unmaintainable.
    2. Mixing up versions build for different versions of the Core quickly lead to highly inconsistent feature-sets and a fragmented user experience for your users. Especially given the unified appearance it won't make sense that the same feature in app A behaves totally different than the feature in app B, (this also true with only a single app, because the Core also provides various features directly).
      For example, the sitemap consists of the core API that is provided by the Core and the individual implementation in the app to have it work to it. A sitemap with Core 3.1, but Forum 5.0 would lead to a generated sitemap that includes all the Core's pages (e. g. user profiles), but without any posts and threads, because this was implement with Forum 5.1. Worst of all, this can be easily missed and users start viewing this as an error in the software ("Why is the forum missing in the sitemap?"), but in reality this is just the result of mixed versions.
      Yet, this isn't a feature that is exclusive to the forum, and therefore wasn't listed separately in the changelog list. A lot of the times features that are requested for app A and B are also useful for app C and D. So instead of creating four times the same feature, we basically implement it in the Core and have each app implement this feature, but this also means that the feature is listed for the Core and not explicitly for each app (all though this is the case).
  • TheSonic, I'm aware WOltLab don't use the subscription model, but:

you may drop eg. Blogs here and upgrade it at at a later time..

That is just ridiculous, not your post, but WoltLab's implementation.

When WoltLab sell their software they should stipulate from the outset, that if you purchase multiple apps from them like Forum, Gallery. Blog etc, if you want new features in the future, you have to update ALL the apps that you originally purchased, even if you are not interested in updated versions of some of them. They should stipulate this from the outset.

As MysterCode put it, it's a trap. Totally dishonest.

• However, as with all things, there is more taking place behind the curtains that is not obvious at a first glance, so please allow me to explain the reasons behind all of this:

I am not a software developer, so cannot possibly argue with you on the intricacies of software development, but I accept your explanations, however:

When WoltLab sell their software they should stipulate from the outset, that if you purchase multiple apps from them like Forum, Gallery. Blog etc, if you want new features in the future, you have to update ALL the apps that you originally purchased, even if you are not interested in updated versions of some of them. They should stipulate this from the outset.

It is too late for me, but will you stipulate on your purchase page that if potential customers purchase more than one app and want new features in the future, they must purchase ALL future versions of the apps regardless of whether they want all the updated versions of the apps or not?

While I consider my next options, please can you state what WoltLab's official policy is on selling licences on, please?

thank you

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!