Javascript errors on server and Google

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 3.0

A - Google Page Insight Errors

Google's Page insight function is telling me my page is not optimised, which is disappointing as I would have thought that the WoltLab software would be fully optimised to use.

This is what Google is telling me:

1.Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content

Your page has 2 blocking script resources and 2 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.

None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.
    Remove render-blocking JavaScript:

Optimize CSS Delivery of the following:

2. Optimize images

Properly formatting and compressing images can save many bytes of data.

Optimize the following images to reduce their size by 33.3KiB (47% reduction).

3.Reduce server response time

In our test, your server responded in 0.46 seconds. There are many factors that can slow down your server response time. Please read our recommendations to learn how you can monitor and measure where your server is spending the most time.

4.Leverage browser caching

Setting an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources instructs the browser to load previously downloaded resources from local disk rather than over the network.

Leverage browser caching for the following cacheable resources:

5.Minify HTML

Compacting HTML code, including any inline JavaScript and CSS contained in it, can save many bytes of data and speed up download and parse times.

Minify HTML for the following resources to reduce their size by 912B (11% reduction).

Removing rendering blocking Javascript, Optimise CSS Delivery etc is all gibberish to me. What do I do about it to make Google happy and what can WoltLab do from their end in future software versions to prevent these errors from showing again?

B - Server Errors/Issues

I am getting thousands of hits on my server for certain pages. I currently have 10 regular members, but this month, some of these pages have received thousands of hits. There is no way either I or my members have visited my site thousands of times. Last month, the top 3-5 pages received over ninety thousand hits.

What is the difference between the top three pages as shown in the picture below:

/forum/index.php,

/forum/

/index.php

Why are these pages getting so many hits on my server?

As shown in the picture below, my server is also saying that some pages are getting multiple hits as well as 404 errors, one page in particular:

/js/3rdParty/mejs/lang/en.js

How do I correct this?

C - Google Search Console errors

I am getting multiple 404 errors and there seems to be 3-4 batches of errors currently which all have similar WoltLab pages. They are:

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/search/?types%…ndUserThreads=1

When I clicked on where this page is linked from, it says this:

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/user/29-niceguy1966/

All of these 404 errors all display the same WoltLab search pages and are all linked from my member's profile pages. How do I correct this please?

=======

The next batch of 404 errors are related to my member pages. I get a 404 error for each "letter" of member pages:

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/members-list/?…r=DESC&letter=U

How do I correct those?

Also getting 404s on another batch of WoltLab pages, here is one example:

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

How do I correct that too please?

===================================

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for help on this.

Many thanks!

Jupiter

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Section A)

Ignore it entirely, pretty much any non-static site fails these to some degree, these are unrealistic standards that even the simplest pages from Google fail. Try it with URLs like https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/insights/about which is a very short site that explains Google PageSpeed, but still fails both the mobile and desktop tests - and this is a really simple example.

We're putting a lot of effort into optimizing our software, for both speed and efficency. The issue with Google PageSpeed is that it validates strictly for formal performance, but does not take perceived performance into account. We're purposely "violating" some of the recommendations to improve the perceived responsiveness, and Google does it on their own sites for the very same reasons.

Section B)

/forum/ and /forum/index.php, as well as / and /index.php are essentially the same entry point. The later could be a different page that it routed through the index.php, it appears as if the tool shown above does not take query parameters into account. For example, example.com/thread/ is the same as example.com/index.php?thread/.

As shown in the picture below, my server is also saying that some pages are getting multiple hits as well as 404 errors, one page in particular:

/js/3rdParty/mejs/lang/en.js

That file is not part of a default installation, could be a 3rd party plugin that fails to provide an English translation file.

Section C)

The next batch of 404 errors are related to my member pages. I get a 404 error for each "letter" of member pages:

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/members-list/?…r=DESC&letter=U

You can set up a list of parameters that Google should ignore, in particular all the parameters aren't helpful: sortField, sortOrder and letter. Besides that, it may make sense to exclude these letter-based filters for search engines entirely, but this is something we'll have to do.

Also getting 404s on another batch of WoltLab pages, here is one example:

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

viewforum.php?f=3 looks like an old vBulletin link, we don't use these kind of file names.

• Section A)

Ignore it entirely,

Thanks Alexander. That's easy to understand and do!:)

For the section B, just so you can confirm, is there anything I should be worried about? I don't understand why these pages say they are getting thousands of hits, when the true number cannot be more than a few hundred.

That file is not part of a default installation, could be a 3rd party plugin that fails to provide an English translation file.

Do you know a way I could block this? I have about four plugins installed, but I don't know which one is causing the error.

You can set up a list of parameters that Google should ignore, in particular all the parameters aren't helpful: sortField, sortOrder and letter. Besides that, it may make sense to exclude these letter-based filters for search engines entirely, but this is something we'll have to do.

Do I do this via the robots.txt file by disallowing the terms sortfield and sortorder. How would I get Google to ignore "letter"?

Can you confirm that you'll add this to your "to do list" for a future version to exclude these letter-based filters for search engines entirely?

I am getting multiple 404 errors and there seems to be 3-4 batches of errors currently which all have similar WoltLab pages. They are:

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/search/?types%…ndUserThreads=1

When I clicked on where this page is linked from, it says this:

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/user/29-niceguy1966/

All of these 404 errors all display the same WoltLab search pages and are all linked from my member's profile pages. How do I correct this please?

What do I do about this error? As I said, I get one 404 for every member of my site?

Thanks for your help.

Jupiter

• Interesting Throwholics, thanks.:thumbup::thumbup: Lets see what SoftCreatR says about that.

As I said yesterday, I haven't got the plugins configured yet, so if this one cannot be fixed, I'll delete the plugin from my site.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For the section B, just so you can confirm, is there anything I should be worried about?

This can also be the cause of AJAX requests, which are always performed against index.php?ajax-proxy/, regardless of the SEO settings. That said, just ignore these values, the tool that captures this data is just bad and ignores the query string, which renders this display mostly useless.

On the bright side, there is nothing you have to worry about.

Do I do this via the robots.txt file by disallowing the terms sortfield and sortorder. How would I get Google to ignore "letter"?

No, the Google Webmaster Tools have a subsection on crawling which also includes the page for url parameters. This allows you to expose the meaning of each parameter to Google. Additionally, you can configure URLs with these parameters to be excluded at all times, which pretty much solves your issue.

What do I do about this error? As I said, I get one 404 for every member of my site?

You can set the parameter findUserThreads to exclude the URL from Google (see the explanation above).

• But why isn't the latest version of that plugin showing up as a update in my Packages area in my own site's ACP? I'm sure there's another plugin which has a update, but its not available in the ACP.

Thank you Alexander for all your help and SoftCreatR for that reply.

• But why isn't the latest version of that plugin showing up as a update in my Packages area in my own site's ACP? I'm sure there's another plugin which has a update, but its not available in the ACP.

Because that would require, that you've added my package servers. The update hasn't been released at WoltLab.

However, the website is currently in maintenance, so you may try it later.

• Done, Thank you Throwholics and I've just got that update as a result.:thumbup:

IS there a list of other package servers to add for the main plug-in developers here.

I currently have plug-ins from:

The_Waiters

Udo Zaydowicz

Christopher Walz

KittMedia

WBB-Elite.de

Cyperghost

There already seems to be plug-in server installed on my site, I did not install it, so it must have happened automatically, (what a good idea!)

Destinaja - Packageserver for Plugins (WSC 3.0)

I'm going to make a suggestion to WoltLab (as I was unaware of this until now) that if you install a plug-in, the package server from that third party developer should be automatically added into the ACP, otherwise all the plug-ins are out of date.

• I'm going to make a suggestion to WoltLab (as I was unaware of this until now) that if you install a plug-in, the package server from that third party developer should be automatically added into the ACP, otherwise all the plug-ins are out of date.

That's up to the developers themselves and i stopped providing that during the installation of any of my plugins.

• I have just made a suggestion to WoltLab about this. Thanks for your continuing help, throwlolics.:)

How can any novices know any of this stuff, unless there is a manual? Really, I should be quite angry that what should be simple setup stuff that should only take a few days, at most, is currently taking me months to do.

I have never worked with anything before which does not have a full manual to guide me.

• I tried using the old manual, but especially from a novice admin point of view, I did struggle as many things are in different sections in the ACP. I will try again, so thanks for the reminder, SoftCreatR.

I wish WOltLab would just update their manual, it can't take too much work for them. Probably, by the time that they do update the manual, I'll have finished my setup stuff by then, but it least it'll be there for others.

I've tried to convey to them, they if they wish to expand into the English speaking world far more than now, they really must have a up to date manual, as most admins will be totally unfamiliar, as I was, with WoltLab's software as most admins still use vbulletin 3 or 4.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!