garbled symbols everywhere - what have I broken?

• Also deleted my custom header template just in case that was causing the issue

Avoid deleting something from the filesystem via FTP! The entries are still in the database and it's not a nice job to decouple all connections to find what you wanted to do. Always use the possibilities provided by the software if you aren't told to do that.

return null;

Browser: Firefox Nightly (64bit)

Betriebssystem: Windows 10

• Avoid deleting something from the filesystem via FTP! The entries are still in the database and it's not a nice job to decouple all connections to find what you wanted to do. Always use the possibilities provided by the software if you aren't told to do that.

I didn't - I used the acp.

Is it possible to reinstall the whole site from scratch without having to create a new set of database tables/data?

I only modded a couple of templates and can rebuild the styles pretty easily, so that's not important.

• Is it possible to reinstall the whole site from scratch without having to create a new set of database tables?

Well, deleting all database tables and starting from a fresh installation is still an option. But you already asked WoltLab for help, so personally, I would wait some time, maybe you don't need to do that at all. :)

return null;

• Well, deleting all database tables and starting from a fresh installation is still an option. But you already asked WoltLab for help, so personally, I would wait some time, maybe you don't need to do that at all. :)

Fresh installation would mean a new import with over a million posts and a couple of gigs of data and attachments - not ideal. But replacing files would be easy enough, if I knew what to replace.

• OK so I'm onto something which has just confused the hell out of me...

There seems to be something very strange happening in some of my FTP folders - All I did was a simple folder move from httpdocs/b/ to httpdocs/

However, in a couple of places the folder seems to have created a new version of itself -- so /templates became /templates/templates,  /style became /style/style and /acp became acp/acp and more ... not always moved, sometimes duplicated.

This is not everywhere, and I have absolutely no idea how or why it happened, but I've never seen anything like it before, anywhere in 16+ years of doing website design and 10 years of messing around with forums. If I'm responsible, then I have no idea how I did it :huh:

• Here in Switzerland it is 20h30 so it should be the same in Germany. If WoltLab staff haven't responded your ticket they will probably do tomorrow. Wait for their response. Besides, in the thread I opened when I had those characters, there are the labels Fixed and 3.0.11 (the version of the next patch). Maybe the next patch fixes both your issue and mine, if it doesn't I'm sure the developers will work on it.

My styles and plugins in the Plugin-Store.

♪Quiero robarle los minutos a las horas pa' que mis padres nunca se me pongan viejos...♫

• Here in Switzerland it is 20h30 so it should be the same in Germany. If WoltLab staff haven't responded your ticket they will probably do tomorrow. Wait for their response. Besides, in the thread I opened when I had those characters, there are the labels Fixed and 3.0.11 (the version of the next patch). Maybe the next patch fixes both your issue and mine, if it doesn't I'm sure the developers will work on it.

I'm stabbing around frantically because I've got a website offline and a load of members waiting at the door -- I guess they'll just need to wait for a bit :)

(also noticed that, if I look at the page from Firefox rather than Chrome I get an error page rather than nonsense.)

• However, in a couple of places the folder seems to have created a new version of itself -- so /templates became /templates/templates, /style became /style/style and /acp became acp/acp and more ... not always moved, sometimes duplicated.

This sounds like quite a mess, it might be a good idea to restore a backup before you've moved things around. If this is not an option for whatever reasons, we'll take a look at it tomorrow and see what we can do.

Best is if you would stop moving things around for now, chances are that you're unintentionally creating even more chaos. I can understand that you want to have your site back on as soon as possible, but the more damage you cause, the longer it will take us to figure it out.

• Best is if you would stop moving things around for now, chances are that you're unintentionally creating even more chaos. I can understand that you want to have your site back on as soon as possible, but the more damage you cause, the longer it will take us to figure it out.

I have absolutely no idea what happened in my backend.

I have found something though and that's "ConversationMessageSearch.class.php" was missing - I have restored it from a duplicate directory, which has made the site accessible as long as I'm not logged in.

As soon as I log in I return to a mess. :/

This is one of the most bizarre things I've ever encountered as I certainly didn't create these duplicates myself.

It seems that the lib/system directory was duplicated too, and this may be where the problem originates.

I should really leave it alone.

• I tentatively think I fixed it. :)

Basically I had to download everything, thus creating a retrospective backup - then I needed to look for the duplicate directories one at a time, and upload everything to the right place without overwriting.

I still have no idea how it went wrong or how that happened -- I used Plesk file manager (instead of filezilla) out of laziness and I will never do that again!!! 8|

I'm not sure how to cancel my ticket, but I will mark this as resolved for now.

• Marking this as unresolved again as there's something wrong still...

Everything *seems* to be working now except for creating or moderating a thread. This is an example error...

Plus the same garbled mess, except for on Firefox where I get this:

Code
    Final Error
    Error Type:
    wcf\system\database\exception\DatabaseQueryExecutionException
    Error Message:
    Could not execute statement 'INSERT INTO wbb1_post (enableTime,threadID,subject,time,userID,username,isDisabled,enableHtml,attachments,ipAddress,message) VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)'
    Error Code:
    File:
    */lib/system/database/statement/PreparedStatement.class.php (105)

I imagine that there's a file or script missing still, but no idea what.

• No, you're database server is on high load or not available. You should contact your hosting provider.

return null;

• Just had a look, and yeah:

6.05, 5.79, 5.83 =O

Gonna try to find out why .

Edit: server rebooted and posts posting (slowly)

0.29, 0.55, 0.33

I have no idea what jammed it up :/

• So we've been running and open to the public all day - most people happy, a few moaners and the server load has remained reasonably stable

According to recent errors I still have some templates missing from the acp and can't find them in any other folders.

Addwarning

addsuspension

warningList

suspensionlist

userWarningList

Anyone able to help?

• Oh that's a point - maybe I could do create test installation and pull them from there?

EDIT: That worked.

I'm going to leave this thread "unresolved" for now, but I think I'm getting it sorted.

Edited 3 times, last by Moonclamp: EDIT: That worked. I'm going to leave this thread "unresolved" for now, but I think I'm getting it sorted. ().

• Leaving this here for anyone that might find this thread at a later point: These templates are part of the infraction system, which comes bundled with our apps (but not the Core itself).

Also Moonclamp, once you have everything set up and done, make a backup! ;)

• I'm back.

The Access Denied / Permission Denied page when visiting a non-permission thread.

- On Internet Explorer, Chrome and Opera I get the garbled mess

- On Firefox the page works correctly

This time the template is actually there :/

Is it possible to start again, and reupload everything without losing any data?

• Is it possible to start again, and reupload everything without losing any data?

It would make more sense to actually figure out what is going wrong. If something is reported to be missing, then it usually is missing.

I would still suggest that you open up a ticket and let us look into it. Also the FTP access would allow us to run some diagnostics to figure out what is causing the "garbled mess" output for you, so we can take care of that too.

• Basically after speaking with the help on here I came to the conclusion it was too fubar to fix, and so I rebuilt the site from a new vbulletin import and sacrificed a couple of day's posts and a couple of night's sleep.

I will mark this as resolved now as everything else will relate to a new installation :)