garbled symbols everywhere - what have I broken?

  • I've just changed my directory structure by moving my entire installation up a level.


    I'm now getting this garbled mess everywhere except the ACP:



    What have I done, and can I mend it? :huh::huh:

  • I think all my templates have gone :/

    Did you done anything special prior to this outcome? Could you share the link to your site? This sounds pretty weird, because it shouldn't affect it.

    return null;


    Browser: Firefox Nightly (64bit)

    Betriebssystem: Windows 10

    Edited once, last by jens1o ().

  • Did you done anything special prior to this outcome? Could you share the link to your site?

    I had the site in a directory called /b/ while I migrated the data - everything worked and so I updated the paths in the acp and moved it all up into the root. Nothing else.

    I don't want to share the site for privacy reasons - I don't want anyone to follow me here. But it won't make a difference, there's nothing to see,

  • I don't want to share the site for privacy reasons - I don't want anyone to follow me here. But it won't make a difference, there's nothing to see,

    Well, then I can't check something on my own, but only give general advice(s).


    Could you check both the PHP and the Webserver Log?

    return null;


    Browser: Firefox Nightly (64bit)

    Betriebssystem: Windows 10

  • Why do you think that they're gone? Also, are there any errors reported in the ACP (Hint: Use the ACP search to quickly find menu items).

    This is the error message that prompted me to check the templates:


  • Referring to Moving the "notices" section: Did you changed the template header before(or any other templates)? Could you restore anything(most of the time, edit the default style and select the default Template group). (I'm guessing here)

    return null;


    Browser: Firefox Nightly (64bit)

    Betriebssystem: Windows 10

  • Referring to Moving the "notices" section: Did you changed the template header before(or any other templates)? Could you restore anything(most of the time, edit the default style and select the default Template group). (I'm guessing here)

    I duplicated the template as per instructions, but I didn't modify the original. Everything was working fine prior to the directory move.


    I've noticed that not all of them have vanished however.


    I'm going to try reverting to the default

  • Yes, I followed the instructions.

    Is there any chance that you've missed/overlooked something? It should work if everything was done according to the guide and especially the missing template shouldn't be a thing because this is directly related to the actual files and has nothing to do with the database.


    You may want to consider submitting a ticket via "My Account" and provide us with ACP and FTP credentials, then we could look into it ourselves and figure it out. It's quite late already, so it might take until tomorrow before it gets taken care of though.

  • Is there any chance that you've missed/overlooked something? It should work if everything was done according to the guide and especially the missing template shouldn't be a thing because this is directly related to the actual files and has nothing to do with the database.


    You may want to consider submitting a ticket via "My Account" and provide us with ACP and FTP credentials, then we could look into it ourselves and figure it out. It's quite late already, so it might take until tomorrow before it gets taken care of though.

    I realised that I missed the section on changing the "wcf1_package" entry, but checking phpMyadmin now it seems to be correct.

  • I get those characters when there is some error, e.g. not defining a variable in the style editor, unclosed blocks, or errors in the templates, so it should be something related with the error output, since the normal error message is not displayed in the frontend. I must say I can't reproduce it in localhost but in a shared hosting

    My styles and plugins in the Plugin-Store.

    ♪Quiero robarle los minutos a las horas pa' que mis padres nunca se me pongan viejos...♫

  • I get those characters when there is some error, e.g. not defining a variable in the style editor, unclosed blocks, or errors in the templates, so it should be something related with the error output, since the normal error message is not displayed in the frontend. I must say I can't reproduce it in localhost but in a shared hosting

    I'm on a VPS - I can see that the standard header template is empty, but it exists in my file structure.

  • Just looking in the ftp folders and noticed that templates was in /templates/templates -- I have no idea why that should have happened (unless tech support is doing something that I'm unaware of or I did it in my panicking) . Anyway, reverted that.


    Also deleted my custom header template just in case that was causing the issue


    The problem is still there :/