Beta 2. How could I revert to different version if needed?

• Just seen the Beta 2 announcement.:)

I'm very keen to use this beta2 version on my site, but am concerned with the statement that there's a possibility that it won't be possible to upgrade the Beta 2 to future versions.

If I use this Beta 2 version on my live site and it does indeed turn out that the beta 2 software cannot be upgraded to a newer version of the software in the future, what should I do then? How could I convert my site to use the future version and get rid of the beta 2 version software off my site?

many thanks

Jupiter

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• Do not use Beta 2 in production areas. Maybe invite some of your staff or visitors into the seperate installation, but say to them that it is a one-way challenge.

return null;

Browser: Firefox Nightly (64bit)

Betriebssystem: Windows 10

• Is there a way I could "copy" my current site into the beta 2 test?

• Eh, no, there isn't. WoltLab does support that neither, yet.

return null;

• Ok, thanks Jens for your help.

I'm very keen to change from the current version, as there has been a devastating effect on my Google rankings (ie, my site doesn't feature in any search terms at all now) since I changed over to the Woltlab software from vbulletin in June. I know the new version has a site map, so I'm hoping this will help.

• As of now, there is no available upgrade path from 3.0 to 3.1 Beta, so you in fact cannot upgrade your current site anyway. Upgrade support will be added at a later point, most likely during the RC phase at which we start officially guaranteeing update paths.

The beta versions may still contain glitches that either prevent a site from working, or even cause damage to it. Please do not assume that the software is ready for production, simply because we run it on our site.

Alexander Ebert
    Senior Developer WoltLab® GmbH

• Ok. Thank you, Alexander.

• I'm very keen to change from the current version, as there has been a devastating effect on my Google rankings (ie, my site doesn't feature in any search terms at all now) since I changed over to the Woltlab software from vbulletin in June. I know the new version has a site map, so I'm hoping this will help.

I would recommend to not expect an big increase. It is way more important to schedule permanent redirects just after changing the software(SEO-Links). Did you done that?

Also, remember, that once you upgraded the site, you'd need to instruct the search engines where your sitemap is, either with the so-called robots.txt file or using the Webmaster Tools(but you'd need to do this for each search engine, so I like using the robots.txt method)

As far as I know, WoltLab Suite already has a really good structure for search engines/crawlers.

return null;

• I would recommend to not expect an big increase. It is way more important to schedule permanent redirects just after changing the software(SEO-Links). Did you done that?

Also, remember, that once you upgraded the site, you'd need to instruct the search engines where your sitemap is, either with the so-called robots.txt file or using the Webmasters Tool(but you'd need to do this for each search engine, so I like using the robots.txt method)

As far as I know, WoltLab Suite has a really good structure for search engines/crawlers.

I did the redirects at the time, but it didn't work and I eventually deleted them. Had a sitemap as well at the time, but eventually deleted that too.

I did create a thread on here about all the problems at the time, but perhaps I should seek assistance from the ticket support system here. I've only used it once, so not abused that system.

My site cannot grow, unless I can attract new people to it. I used to get about 20 people coming to my site everyday up until the change to the Woltlab software, now I get about 9-10 and because of the Google rankings problem, no new people are coming to my site at all.

I can't even share posts from my site on Twitter or Facebook as there is no facility in the WL software to do, you can only share whole threads which is totally useless.