How do you deal with videos on your site?

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 3.0

My members like to link to youtube videos on my site, but they also want to upload their own personal videos to my site too.

I have limited resources, so I don't really want members uploading videos to my server, but my members have explained to me that they don't wish for their personal videos to be put onto sites like youtube.

I am somewhat confused as I don't see the difference between my site or youtube, they are both on the internet, but my members have asked that their videos are kept private and only available to my site's users.

How on earth can I keep my member's videos private? Surely, they must use a site like youtube and link from them? Is there any other way they can do it?

Many thanks

Jupiter

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• Thanks for the info, pjk.

Would that plugin still upload videos to my server? I'm not sure how that plugin differs from that what is already available in the core.

• Would that plugin still upload videos to my server? I'm not sure how that plugin differs from that what is already available in the core.

It's been awhile since I've used it (with WBB 4.1) but I believe it has the option to upload them to your server. Maybe Cr@@gle will see this and answer.

• Jupiter, you may have a different purpose for your site than I do for mine. From my perspective if the posts and included media in my forum can't be indexed by search engines, it's useless to me. Once a video is public like you said it doesn't matter if it's on youtube or your site, from a privacy point of view. Also to believe any video is truly private just because it's uploaded to your site and can only be viewed by members is naive.

• Jupiter, you may have a different purpose for your site than I do for mine. From my perspective if the posts and included media in my forum can't be indexed by search engines, it's useless to me. Once a video is public like you said it doesn't matter if it's on youtube or your site, from a privacy point of view. Also to believe any video is truly private just because it's uploaded to your site and can only be viewed by members is naive.

Exactly, my thinking, too. But, a couple of members said to me, quote, "we don't want our videos on the wild west of the internet for all to see like places like youtube."

• some people don't like youtube because it is a melting pot between google , youtube and don't like how youtube monetise your video...

It is possible to find on the internet other solution like vidme by exemple but i don't use it ...

• I just don't understand, Throwholics, what I can do with that plugin, that I can't already do? The core Woltlab software allows video uploading.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!