Call to action Register/Login at bottom of thread

• App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

I saw this feature on another forum software. At the end of every thread (for guests) there's a call to action box to register or log in as pictured below. I think this is a great way to help convert guests to members. Since WSF doesn't have "reply" or "new thread" buttons for guests like vbulletin does, which would result in prompting the guest to register. Few people who will read a forum nowadays don't know they must register to post, but for them and to prompt others to register it's good to have this feature.

• Offizieller Beitrag

With some HTML and CSS code, you can already create such a box using WoltLab Suite's box feature.

1. Create a template box.
    2. Disable "Show box title".
    3. Disable "Visible everywhere" under "Pages".
    4. Select "Thread" under "Pages".
    5. Select "No" for "Content Can be Accessed by Everyone" under "Restricted Access".
    6. Add "Guests" to "Allow Access" under "Restricted Access".
    7. Enter the following "Content" under "Contents":

This will result in a box similar to the one in your image:

With additional HTML and CSS code, you can, of course, tweak it to look more like you want it to look.

The only downside to this approach is that there is no check if the user will be able to post in the forum after registering as posting in the specific forum might only be possible if they are in a certain user group, for example, in which they might not be after creating an account.

• ince WSF doesn't have "reply" or "new thread" buttons for guests like vbulletin does, which would result in prompting the guest to register. Few people who will read a forum nowadays don't know they must register to post, but for them and to prompt others to register it's good to have this feature.

I agree, but this is happening as bug after I created this box as per Matthias' instructions.

See here:

If I type something into the editor box as a guest I get an error message saying:

"The server encountered an unresolvable problem, please try again later.

Exception ID: 4778944b790fc314e6632ef9fb6e94786b2cd661"

So, my question to Matthias would be, how do I keep that editor box for guests, but as per Dan's remarks, when a guest clicks submit, can the guest be invited to register?

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• I don't understand what you're experiencing Jupiter. I don't allow guest posting on my site, and guest posting is not allowed here. Consequently there is no "reply" or "new thread" button for guests. In vbulletin there are such buttons visible to guests, but guests can't actually post. When they click on those buttons they are just prompted to register. The registration box at the bottom of each thread that Matthias provided adequately fills that gap in WSF.

Are you saying you created an editor box within a box at the bottom of each thread for guests? and want them to think they can post until they click the submit button?

• Hi,

i think you should disable the posting permissions for guests, and add the box containing the Call to Action for guest.

So you will not get this error :)

• Please go to the Error log in your ACP and search for the Exception ID there so that you can post the complete error here.

Mon, 28 Aug 2017 23:30:56 +0000

PHP version: 7.0.22

WoltLab Suite version: 3.0.8 pl 1

Request URI: /forum/index.php?ajax-proxy/&t=58a230a50300a843215fcddfa2755a8a5c5fdf5e

Referrer: https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thread/4…g-muslim-famil/

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0

Peak Memory Usage: 5183048/805306368

======

Error Class: LogicException

Error Message: Unknown captcha object type with name ''

Error Code: 0

File: /home/forumbox/public_html/lib/data/TMessageQuickReplyGuestDialogAction.class.php (56)

Extra Information: -

Stack Trace: [{"file":"\/home\/forumbox\/public_html\/forum\/lib\/data\/post\/PostAction.class.php","line":1663,"function":"setGuestDialogCaptcha","class":"wbb\\data\\post\\PostAction","type":"->","args":[]},{"function":"validateQuickReply","class":"wbb\\data\\post\\PostAction","type":"->","args":["4226","1503955900","1","https:\/\/www.forumbox.co.uk\/forum\/thread\/4226-white-christian-girl-put-into-foster-care-with-non-english-speaking-muslim-famil\/#top","ASC",{"message":"[redacted]"},"true"],"file":"[internal function]","line":"?"},{"file":"\/home\/forumbox\/public_html\/lib\/data\/AbstractDatabaseObjectAction.class.php","line":189,"function":"call_user_func_array","args":[["[redacted]","[redacted]"],{"objectID":"[redacted]","lastPostTime":"[redacted]","pageNo":"[redacted]","anchor":"[redacted]","sortOrder":"[redacted]","data":"[redacted]","requireGuestDialog":"[redacted]"}],"class":"","type":""},{"file":"\/home\/forumbox\/public_html\/lib\/action\/AJAXProxyAction.class.php","line":71,"function":"validateAction","class":"wcf\\data\\AbstractDatabaseObjectAction","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/home\/forumbox\/public_html\/lib\/action\/AJAXInvokeAction.class.php","line":104,"function":"invoke","class":"wcf\\action\\AJAXProxyAction","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/home\/forumbox\/public_html\/lib\/action\/AbstractAction.class.php","line":47,"function":"execute","class":"wcf\\action\\AJAXInvokeAction","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/home\/forumbox\/public_html\/lib\/action\/AJAXInvokeAction.class.php","line":63,"function":"__run","class":"wcf\\action\\AbstractAction","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/home\/forumbox\/public_html\/lib\/system\/request\/Request.class.php","line":83,"function":"__run","class":"wcf\\action\\AJAXInvokeAction","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/home\/forumbox\/public_html\/lib\/system\/request\/RequestHandler.class.php","line":94,"function":"execute","class":"wcf\\system\\request\\Request","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/home\/forumbox\/public_html\/forum\/index.php","line":9,"function":"handle","class":"wcf\\system\\request\\RequestHandler","type":"->","args":["wbb"]}]

• I don't understand what you're experiencing Jupiter. I don't allow guest posting on my site, and guest posting is not allowed here.

I don't allow guest posting either... so don't know why this box is appearing, but, curiously, I checked a pinned thread and the box did not appear there. Bizarre.

Are you saying you created an editor box within a box at the bottom of each thread for guests? and want them to think they can post until they click the submit button?

No, to your first question. I didn't create anything. I just followed Matthias' instructions.

Yes, to your second question, but only because that box appeared. Ideally, I prefer the way you suggested for trying to persuade guests to post.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!