Last Post and Thread Index Page numbers

• If a thread contains dozens of posts, it's essential to be able to navigate that thread easily and quickly.

When clicking on a thread in a thread index, if there are unread posts in that thread, you are taken to the last unread post. Brilliant!!:) But, what if all the posts are read and you want to go to the last post in that thread? Not brilliant. :(

Forums have at least one of two ways of resolving this, Can Woltab please consider these options as a matter of urgency?

Pagination Support For Posts in Thread Index

In the thread index, you should be able to directly select a thread page to navigate to without having to make an additional click and enter the thread. See here as an example:

As you can see on this vb4 forum, I can select the first few pages of a thread and the last page directly from the thread index. It makes navigating threads simple and fast. Admins should be allowed to customise exactly how this is displayed, as with the current pagination support within the actual threads.

Last Post button

The fastest way to go the last post in a thread which has previously been read is to click on the last post button. See here as an example:

Using the same VB4 forum again, you can see the last post button in the Last Post By column. As indicated, I would, if implemented, move this button next to the pagination buttons thus keeping all the navigation buttons together in the same place and making navigating threads from the thread index a whole easier and faster.

Thanks

Jupiter

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• Thank you Alexander, that makes a big difference to get to the last post, it really does.:thumbup::thumbup:( Really need a manual to explain this stuff to us newbies....)

Would you consider the pagination suggestion please?

thank you.

• I've just found this after searching the same problem.

Fine for desktop view, but there's no "last poster" avatar in mobile view.

• Oh dear, you're right, Moonclamp.

I'm about the only person in the world who doesn't own a smartphone, but as someone mentioned here, you can simply resize your browser to give a mobile like view. I need to carefully scrutinise what the software looks like on mobile, but I'm still struggling with setting up things as it appears on desktops still, so at the moment my focus is on that.

Good observation.

• Does anyone know a way of turning either of these places into a "latest posts" link? I think the posting time would potentially be ideal

Obviously a template edit, but is there a pointer of which template, what link and where to add?

Edit: I've almost worked it out using the following:

<li class="messageGroupLastPostTimeMobile"><a href="{link application='wbb' controller='Thread' object=$thread}action=lastPost{/link}">{@$thread->lastPostTime|time}</a></li>

The only problem now is that, because the whole row acts like a button, it makes it impossible to actually click - I need to know how to bring it to the front or remove the behaviour that makes a clicky box.

Bed time, more thinking tomorrow :/

Edited 6 times, last by Moonclamp ().

• Yeah that kinda does it - but it's also a bit counter-intuitive and cluttered. I think the best solution would be to turn the "last post time" into a link or to somehow have a new one to "go to last post".

What I've also realised with the above is that clicking in the whitespace of the cell highlights it but it doesn't do anything - which also affects the dashboard's "recent activity" cells.

I'm going to consolidate all of this into the following new thread as I really want to get this working:

Mobile view "last post" link

:)

Edited 3 times, last by Moonclamp ().

• Marcel Werk

Added the Label Won’t be implemented