Full comprehensive instruction manual

• Tim Düsterhus that worked great thank you.

Other than the benefit of users being able to find and navigate to my content through the old google search results/links, how does this redirect help google to eventually replace the old search results/links with the new ones?

The redirect you provided works for threads, which is probably the most important. Should there be other redirects? I can't think for what.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi

how does this redirect help google to eventually replace the old search results/links with the new ones?

Google will see the redirects as well. The status code 301 instructs Google to map the old URL to the new one.

The redirect you provided works for threads, which is probably the most important. Should there be other redirects? I can't think for what.

From top of my head I can think of: User profiles, Boards, Permalinks to specific posts.

• Google will see the redirects as well. The status code 301 instructs Google to map the old URL to the new one.

Is there a loss in ranking associated with this process?

From top of my head I can think of: User profiles, Boards, Permalinks to specific posts.

I hope I'm not asking too much. If possible please provide the redirects for these:

Old vbulletin user profile:

http://mydomain.com/members/dan1.html

New WSF user profile:

http://mydomain.com/forum/user/1-dan1/

Old vbulletin board/forum section:

http://mydomain.com/forum-section-name/

New WSF board/forum section:

http://mydomain.com/board/2-forum-section-name/

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi

Is there a loss in ranking associated with this process?

Not really clear, but definitely less than if there were no redirects at all, because Google would encounter a 404 otherwise and has to search the page itself.

I hope I'm not asking too much. If possible please provide the redirects for these:

I suggest you experimenting yourself with the tool I provided. It's a valueable exercise. If you are stuck: Try searching for “mod_rewrite”. If you're still stuck I can give you the solution :)

Edit: The boards / forums cannot be mapped, because your vBulletin links lack the board ID.

• I'm gradually getting there, but I do think a full user manual would be great for both users and admins -- and I say that as someone who started with PhpBB in 2002 and then vbulletin in 2003/4

I've brought in basic learning from vb - and done a lot of asking since I've been here.

I've gained a lot of knowledge from other users -- but it's taken up a lot of time and I've often had to report my findings back to my own members who are struggling with an unfamiliar interface. I'm bored with needing to ask all the time.

What might be a good idea is a comprehensive pair of manuals (one for admins and one for end users) that has a customisable {page title}? feature and gives admins the ability to add screenshots pertinent to their website etc.

I mean even covering basic stuff like how to upload images, attachment limits, where to go to edit your info, the differences between mobile and desktop menus, why you can't get away from mobile mode if you set your useragent to desktop and so on.

I'd potentially pay extra money for a feature like that as it'd stop the never ending questions I'm getting from my members. ;(

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Moonclamp (29. November 2017 um 18:36)

• It's taken me since June and I'm still in setup....

I think you're doing REALLY well, Moonclamp.

I've given up on the manual and I'm about to approach WoltLab directly, for them to do some work for me.

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• Some of it is just basic customisations, but other stuff is more involved like I want the moderator functions greatly enhanced. They're non-existent at the moment. Unfortunately, as nice as the current software is, coming from different forum software before, WSC3 feels like a half finished product to me and any new features which maybe implemented in the future won't arrive until 2019 now, I can't wait that long.

Also, the amount of plugins on my site is increasingly and I want to move away from having plugins providing what should be core features.

WoltLab will probably be too expensive, but all I can do is ask them and see what they say.

• To clarify the request made in post #1. We need more than just a PDF file. We need something that is easy to navigate and follow with ease. A PDF document (book) is not something I want to jump up and down through pages or trying to commit it all to memory. We need something even the simplest of customers can easily navigate and perhaps even pull up in a quick Google search online. -- WoltLab really should not cheap out on this and really should deliver by using the examples provided in post #1 and post #2 as a guide of what is expected in the spirit of this request.

edit: Updated post #1 to include this reply.

• To clarify the request made in post #1. We need more than just a PDF file. We need something that is easy to navigate and follow with ease. A PDF document (book) is not something I want to jump up and down through pages or trying to commit it all to memory. We need something even the simplest of customers can easily navigate and perhaps even pull up in a quick Google search online. -- WoltLab really should not cheap out on this and really should deliver by using the examples provided in post #1 and post #2 as a guide of what is expected in the spirit of this request.

edit: Updated post #1 to include this reply.

https://www.woltlab.com/guides-overview/

It is not complete of course, but I would say the best for WoltLab would be to extend this guide lines with more info and more details/screens etc.

Maybe it would be great to have a thread with FAQ or something like that.

So users could suggest topics to be picked up and explained in the guides to complete the user manual.

With that in mind it does not have to be complete from the beginning, but more a collection of knowledge properly shown.

Maybe that is something to think about Marcel Werk  Andrea Berg Alexander Ebert ?

Andrea, you created back then the WBB 4 manual, a lot of the features are already explained there, it is rather brief but it might be useful afterall.

I wouldnt create a PDF file but rather use the WSC page as you already do for the "Help/Hilfe", simply "copy&paste" the info which is already there to that seciton with updated screenshots.

And then every day/week add couple of more info based on that "Suggestion" Thread created/filled by users.

Users would simply ask things like:

How can I do this? --> Some time later this question will be picked up and explained with screenshots

And so on and so on ;)

• Maybe it would be great to have a thread with FAQ or something like that.

So users could suggest topics to be picked up and explained in the guides to complete the user manual.

With that in mind it does not have to be complete from the beginning, but more a collection of knowledge properly shown.

The proposal you made above Throwholics is a good one!

In this way, everyone who is serious about an "instruction or informational manual" can have the opportunity to contribute.

I also urge the persons you mentioned - (Marcel Werk , Andrea Berg, and Alexander Ebert) - to take notice of this proposal.:)

• It's not specifically just about using the software either, its about how to setup and run a forum using this software, so right at the beginning of this manual should be the first ten steps a forum owner/admin needs to do.

Here is a another reason why a manual is necessary, look at this thread:

Which setting(s) to allow a moderator to ban people?

I looked like a complete idiot in front of my staff, because they assumed I hadn't clicked the correct button in the ACP to allow them to ban people. I had. What I was unaware of was the Accessible User Groups feature, which is totally hidden in the ACP and no mention made of it in the help guides

To my mind, WoltLab wants to better compete with the likes of Wordpress and Joomla which is why it has a free CMS, albeit limited in features. There are multiple Wordpress/Joomla help guides and videos out there to guide people on these services and WoltLab needs to catch up in this respect.

Despite this software being a commercial product, I will try and contribute to the FAQ too, if I have the time. Whether its actually correct, is another mater entirely.

• It's not specifically just about using the software either, its about how to setup and run a forum using this software, so right at the beginning of this manual should be the first ten steps a forum owner/admin needs to do.

Here is a another reason why a manual is necessary, look at this thread:

Which setting(s) to allow a moderator to ban people?

I looked like a complete idiot in front of my staff, because they assumed I hadn't clicked the correct button in the ACP to allow them to ban people. I had. What I was unaware of was the Accessible User Groups feature, which is totally hidden in the ACP and no mention made of it in the help guides

I think you outlined perfectly the need for a thorough and complete, comprehensive guide. It is important that the functionality of the software is well documented and not just how to install the software.

• +1  I do not have permission to up vote this for some reason but as a potential customer I was seeking documentation. I am disappointed and a bit surprised that this is something that has not been implemented.

Love is love. * Liebe ist Liebe.

Meine Muttersprache ist Japanisch. Ich schreibe in Englisch, um ins Deutsche zu übersetzen. Bitte haben Sie Geduld mit mir. https://www.deepl.com/translator

• +1  I do not have permission to up vote this for some reason but as a potential customer I was seeking documentation. I am disappointed and a bit surprised that this is something that has not been implemented.

Hopefully in the next Upgrade of WSC 3.1 and WFS 5.1 Woltlab Software Designers will give this issue serious consideration;

and implement "documentation".

In the meantime, all of us can get help through submitting a Technical Support Ticket; ask for help from those Woltlab Forum Members

who have more experience "under their belts"; and also start Threads here on Woltlab Support Forums if there arises an issue which

we must have help with. From personal experience, I know all three options have helped me when I needed it!

LoveIsLove : I understand your "disappointment" - as you stated in Post #35. However, again through experience, I have come to the

conclusion Woltlab Forum Software is superior to most of the other Forum Software currently available. I use the word "most" here

for one reason: I have NOT tried every Forum Software Program "out there".

So give it a try even though the Woltlab Software may not be perfect - nothing is "perfect"!

Disclaimer: NO Woltlab Designer / Developer is giving me a "kick-back" for what I stated above with regards to supporting Woltlab.

I speak only from experience and from what I truly believe to be what really matters.:)

• Hopefully in the next Upgrade of WSC 3.1 and WFS 5.1 Woltlab Software Designers will give this issue serious consideration;

and implement "documentation".

That's a year away. If they were going to do it, they would have done it with 3.1.

In the meantime, all of us can get help through submitting a Technical Support Ticket

I never believe in abusing the ticket system of any company and I think in the ten-ish months I've had the Woltlab software, I've only used the ticket system two or three times. I prefer to post in the forums, as they may provide information for other members.

But as I recently upgraded to RC3 which messed up all my pictures and I have still haven't had a reply on how to sort that out, I may switch from all my queries being made on the forum to the ticket system.

There are so many things I do not know how to use with the WoltLab software, like the boxes system and as said, if a manual were going to come, it would've been here by now, so I'm really left with no other option.

I almost switched to a different software a few weeks ago due to lack of information that WoltLab provide about upgrading to newer versions of software. As I said in another thread, I only wanted to upgrade the Forum, but as I found out, you have to upgrade all apps or none at all. That should be specified on their sales page upfront.

Anyway, I'm not going to comment anymore in this thread as it's a waste of my time.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Jupiter (16. Februar 2018 um 17:10)

• Jupiter I am in agreement with you. I too dislike abusing any company's ticket system. However, I am not finding the support forums here to be as informative or helpful. I have only 2 simple questions open on the forum and they have gone unanswered for nearly 2 days now. They are harmless in nature but if there critical I really would be stuck right about now. A good example is it took me a while just to figure out how to ban someone. I really could have used some documentation.

Love is love. * Liebe ist Liebe.

Meine Muttersprache ist Japanisch. Ich schreibe in Englisch, um ins Deutsche zu übersetzen. Bitte haben Sie Geduld mit mir. https://www.deepl.com/translator

• Yes, I created a thread about how to ban last year, because I thought I had clicked the wrong button and told my staff this at the time, making me look a complete fool. In fact, I had set the correct button (permission) but there was an additional "secret" permissions to be set.

In the search box of the ACP, you need to type in, as you probably know by now, "Accessible User Groups." But when I was told this by WoltLab, I just copied the words into the search box and nothing happened. It took me a few minutes to work out.... You type in a few letters of the first word, then the phrase pops up for you to select. It would be helpful, of course, if all this were documented.... :rolleyes:X/

Then you go down to the fourth set of options for "Moderator" and select who the mod can ban, obviously selecting administrator would not be a good idea.

Currently, I need to alter the rules on my site, so I've gone to the "Pages" area of my ACP, but cannot find the page I created. I don't know where the hell it is, obviously not where it should be!

It shouldn't be this hard.:cursing::thumbdown:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!