Full comprehensive instruction manual

• Yes, I created a thread about how to ban last year, because I thought I had clicked the wrong button and told my staff this at the time, making me look a complete fool. In fact, I had set the correct button (permission) but there was an additional "secret" permissions to be set.

In the search box of the ACP, you need to type in, as you probably know by now, "Accessible User Groups." But when I was told this by WoltLab, I just copied the words into the search box and nothing happened. It took me a few minutes to work out.... You type in a few letters of the first word, then the phrase pops up for you to select. It would be helpful, of course, if all this were documented....

:rolleyes:X/

Then you go down to the fourth set of options for "Moderator" and select who the mod can ban, obviously selecting administrator would not be a good idea.

Currently, I need to alter the rules on my site, so I've gone to the "Pages" area of my ACP, but cannot find the page I created. I don't know where the hell it is, obviously not where it should be!

It shouldn't be this hard.:cursing::thumbdown:

I am new here and honestly, I am starting to consider going elsewhere. I feel like there is some prejudice going on here simply because I do not speak German. I am not sure if you can read this or not but this is how I feel at the moment. Diskriminierst du Menschen, die Englisch sprechen?

Love is love. * Liebe ist Liebe.

Meine Muttersprache ist Japanisch. Ich schreibe in Englisch, um ins Deutsche zu übersetzen. Bitte haben Sie Geduld mit mir. https://www.deepl.com/translator

• All the developers speak English and are helpful. Many of the German members speak English too and post daily in English, so I don't agree about your prejudice comment. Don't forget this is a German company, so for them to speak in our language is excellent. How many of the XF, IPS or vbulletin developers or staff speak German, French or Spanish etc?...

The problem is that the bulk of the knowledge here is contained within the German language threads and even with advances in browser translation technology, the bulk of the understanding of these threads for a non-German speaker is lost.

Obviously, a full instruction manual would help, but I've already given my thoughts on the likelihood of this materialising.

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• All the developers speak English and are helpful. Many of the German members speak English too and post daily in English, so I don't agree about your prejudice comment. Don't forget this is a German company, so for them to speak in our language is excellent. How many of the XF, IPS or vbulletin developers or staff speak German, French or Spanish etc?...

The problem is that the bulk of the knowledge here is contained within the German language threads and even with advances in browser translation technology, the bulk of the understanding of these threads for a non-German speaker is lost.

Obviously, a full instruction manual would help, but I've already given my thoughts on the likelihood of this materialising.

I tried speaking German as a courtesy was basically told to shut up as my German was offensive. So not to be offensive I tried to speak English and was basically ignored on the forum. Minus yourself and two other, I see no one speaking anything other than German, which I seem to not be allowed to do here, and I have received no help.

Meine Muttersprache ist Japanisch. Ich schreibe in Englisch, um ins Deutsche zu übersetzen. Bitte haben Sie Geduld mit mir. https://www.deepl.com/translator

• I cannot comment on your command of German, obviously if you have made mistakes with some words, it is easy to cause offence.

I was looking back at some old threads from last year when I was talking to the main developer here and I don't think he fully understood what I was really saying. He understood my words, but the words don't always communicate the actual meaning, which can be a "little" problem.

Language is more than just words, it's the meaning behind them and unless you are born with a understanding of a certain language, you can never be fully 100% fluent in a language which is not your own. That said, the German speakers here do pretty damn well!

I went into a house the other day and I "couldn't swing a cat around it." I wonder if non-English speakers understand the meaning of that phrase, or even non-British speakers, for that matter!^^ That's the main problem here, understanding what is meant, rather than what is said/typed.

• I cannot comment on your command of German, obviously if you have made mistakes with some words, it is easy to cause offence.

I was looking back at some old threads from last year when I was talking to the main developer here and I don't think he fully understood what I was really saying. He understood my words, but the words don't always communicate the actual meaning, which can be a "little" problem.

Language is more than just words, it's the meaning behind them and unless you are born with a understanding of a certain language, you can never be fully 100% fluent in a language which is not your own. That said, the German speakers here do pretty damn well!

I went into a house the other day and I "couldn't swing a cat around it." I wonder if non-English speakers understand the meaning of that phrase, or even non-British speakers, for that matter!^^ That's the main problem here, understanding what is meant, rather than what is said/typed.

I understand feeling ignored when seeking help. That is a universal understanding. Coincidentally I have also been posting Chinese on another software site and although I am not native in Chinese they too do not ignore me and are glad I make the effort. Here making the effort appears to be offensive and not making the effort results in being ignored.

If you would be so kind and if you could please look into these two thread I would be very grateful.

Replace hotlink photo with url to photo

WordPress and WoltLab rewrite rules incompatable?

• The lack of responses are either than people don't know how to answer your questions, like me, or that you're not a customer and haven't bought the software, so they can't be bothered to reply.

If you post your queries in the pre-sales forum, WoltLab staff might help you. You get official ticket support if you purchase the software. I am going to use the ticket system a lot more now.

• I see no one speaking anything other than German, which I seem to not be allowed to do here, and I have received no help.

Of course, it is allowed to use another language.:)

But please keep in mind that not everybody speaks English perfectly (or any other language).

• Of course, it is allowed to use another language.:)

But please keep in mind that not everybody speaks English perfectly (or any other language).

I would prefer to try to speak German since this is after all a German company. It is at least in my opinion a polite courtesy to try to speak the native language of the community. But I told doing so here was disrespectful and that I should stick with English. When I wrote in English as request no one paid me any mind and I could not get any help.

• I would prefer to try to speak German since this is after all a German company. [...]
    But I told doing so here was disrespectful and that I should stick with English.

I think the Google Translator does translate phrases not very "kind" , so it sounds impolite/rude.

Stick with English, that's no problem at all.

• I think the Google Translator does translate phrases not very "kind" , so it sounds impolite/rude.

Stick with English, that's no problem at all.

Bekomme ich Hilfe und Unterstützung, wenn ich mich an die englische Sprache halte? Denn ich fürchte, ich werde es nicht tun, denn als ich es tat, hat sich niemand die Mühe gemacht, mir zwei Tage lang zu antworten.

Übrigens benutze ich den Übersetzer, den Sie mir empfohlen haben. Wie ist mein Deutsch jetzt?

• Ich mag den Gedanken nicht, diesen Thread zu stoßen, aber da sich v5.2 derzeit in der Entwicklung befindet, denke ich, dass dies der richtige Zeitpunkt sein könnte, um auch an der Entwicklung eines detaillierteren Benutzerhandbuchs zu arbeiten.

Spoiler anzeigen

I dislike the thought of bumping this thread but since v5.2 is currently in development I feel this may be the opportune time to work on also developing a more in-depth users manual.

• I'm pretty sure that there won't be more 'administrators documentation' than at the moment. The manuals for WBB 4.1 were written by Andrea (when she wasn't an employee), but she isn't alive any longer and I doubt anyone else is going to do that work.

• Marcel Werk 2. März 2020 um 17:03

Hat das Label Nicht geplant hinzugefügt.
  • Marcel Werk 5. Juli 2023 um 12:17

Hat das Label von Nicht geplant auf Umgesetzt geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!