Full comprehensive instruction manual

• App
    WoltLab Suite Core

In comparison to vBulletin ( https://www.vbulletin.com/manual/ ). So, those simple things, like sending an email addressed to your users ( How to send a mass email to individually named members ), will be known from the very beginning. WoltLab has made a wonderful product and has some impressive features, but it is important that they all be documented.

edit:

To clarify the request. -- We need more than just a PDF file. We need something that is easy to navigate and follow with ease. A PDF document (book) is not something I want to jump up and down through pages or trying to commit it all to memory. We need something even the simplest of customers can easily navigate and perhaps even pull up in a quick search online. -- WoltLab really should not cheap out on this and really should deliver by using the examples provided in post #1 and post #2 as a guide of what is expected in the spirit of this request.

• THe IPS manual is excellent.

I have repeatedly asked for a manual too: English Demo Please

But, will give my approval to this thread as well.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

What's been suggested to me is to use the old Burning Board manual, but some things have changed or in different locations. Woltlab has also previously said that they believe that their software is so easy to use, that a manual isn't required. Having been in setup phase for my forum for 7 weeks now, I disagree! I am struggling without proper guidance.:cursing:

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• Woltlab has also previously said that they believe that their software is so easy to use, that a manual isn't required. Having been in setup phase for my forum for 7 weeks now, I disagree! I am struggling without proper guidance.

Again I find myself agreeing with you.;)

For Woltlab to say that their 'software is so easy to use, that a manual isn't required' would naturally lead to the assumption (by a "newcomer")

that there probably are few questions ever raised here on the Woltlab Forum regarding how to make some particular feature work; and of course,

we all know this isn't true.:rolleyes:

In particular, there are several areas (departments) of the software which are confusing or at the very least, unclear?( - like the application and implementation process when it comes to what should be simple modifications for anything that has to do with / are connected / dependent upon

CSS coding.

And there are other issues which cannot be all that difficult for the experienced and knowledgeable Woltlab Designers to implement in their

Software: not the least of which is making available the ability to change / modify Font Color for Text while creating Categories and Forums

in the ACP.

[On this particular issue alone, one cannot help but notice Wotlab made Categories RED, and Forums BLUE; so my point is, if they can go to that

effort, why didn't they also (at the time they were designing WSC 3.0.0) make it possible to do what I described in the above paragraph?

Is this an over-sight, or did they just get "tired"?]

Of course, there are always will be those individuals on the Woltlab Help Forum (some as Customers, some as Woltlab Designers, some as

Contributors) who (apparently) find such inquiries, questions, and suggestions - how I shall this .... "tedious" or "annoying" - because (apparently)

they assume everyone knows what they know!

And when suggestions are made on this Forum (sometimes addressed to Plugin Designers as well as to Woltlab Software Designers),

often it seems that those suggestions fall on "deaf ears" - because no response is often the outcome by them.

DJ

• .... that's not a" comprehensive" instruction manual, just an install guide and how to install apps.

• I've already gone through this with you, Alexander.

You've told me before that the software is easy to use. If you are the developer of it, I'm sure it is!

I setup my Woltlab forum on the 1st June, and am still struggling with basics, I don't where to start.

You have offered assistance, and I am grateful for that, but I simply don't have the time to create multiple help requests and when I have, I don't always understand the replies and so my problems are not resolved.

I know you don't think this, but you need to explain to new users to your software, especially to new admins like myself, the features of your software. It's not just a "dry" technical manual that is needed, but a full guide on how to setup a forum using your software, ie the first ten steps a new admin should do. There's a billion questions I need to ask, but if there were a manual, that would at least answer many queries.

Some of the previous topics I have created, I am still struggling on, ie:

• Since my forum has changed over to Woltlab software, my forum has disappeared from Google's rankings. Why? My old vbulletin forum had built in sitemaps and I know you disagree on this, but you have implemented site maps for the new version, but what's going on with Google's rankings?
    • You've tried to assist me with things like language on the forum, by my forum, although UK based, does not use a British dictionary. I want one!! I have manually changed some terms (totally buried in the managed phrases area), but I am finding American terms throughout. I want "proper" English on my forum, not the American version. As I have said before, a lot of that stuff in the managed phrases shouldn't be there like setting the date format on forums.
    • Boxes, Pages, Menus etc need far, far more explanation beyond the very basic guide provided.
    • explanation of the moderation area, where the triangle is. I know you have told me there are changes coming to this, but I haven't got a clue how to use this area?
    • full explanation on how to use the calender.
    • full explanation on how to use the ACP. So many questions here. What are cronjobs for a start?
    • full explanation on styles, especially the colour palette area. What do all those options change? Perhaps if things were changed in realtime, or it could show a preview box, this would help.
    • far more information on usergroups, forum permissions, warnings, automatic assignments etc
    • a comprehensive guide on all the configuration options. ie, what does "enable benchmark" do? How am I supposed to know this stuff without a manual? What's the "informal language variant" do? What do all the options under "System" mean? Under "Security" what does all that mean? I've tried to use Recaptcha, but beyond the two API keys, Google say I need to insert some code into my forum to enable recapatcha. Where? What does "validate user agent" mean?

There is just so much I don't know. Being a new admin is part of the problem, another being I am totally thick, I admit that, but of all the forum software I have used or evaluated, I am finding Woltlab to be hard to get to grips with without a manual. ALL other forum software that I have ever used, has had a manual. Vbulletin has video guides. Look at IPS', their manual is excellent. It can't be that hard to keep a online manual updated?

I think your software is great, but I could not recommend it based on the lack of manual. Please, please reconsider this.

Many thanks

Jupiter

• I agree that Woltlab from an administrator's point of view is not intuitive, in other words settings are not where you'd expect them to be. I've come to the conclusion that this is not because I'm used to other software and expect settings to be in a certain place. Rather some things just universally make more sense to be a certain way or in a certain place and Woltlab doesn't conform to this.

That said after going through a lot of frustration (and will continue I'm sure), every time I find that Woltlab delivers the functionality in a better or at least comparable way to other software. Seems like the developer reconstructed the forum concept from scratch according to what he felt is practical. I think Woltlab is awesome, that's why we're all here no? But yes better support in the way of more English threads in the forum is needed, I think it will come in time.

Regarding your concern

Zitat

Since my forum has changed over to Woltlab software, my forum has disappeared from Google's rankings. Why? My old vbulletin forum had built in sitemaps and I know you disagree on this, but you have implemented site maps for the new version, but what's going on with Google's rankings?

I fully migrated my forum to Woltlab two days ago. I removed the old vbulletin sitemap from webmaster tools, and submitted my site to google for indexing. The next day some threads were already indexed and available in search results. Amusingly appearing right next to the same/old thread from the vbulletin installation which is now a dead link.

But I would like a sitemap implemented, just to be on the safe side.

By the way is there an ideal way to configure WSF to handle these dead links?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!