How to send a mass email to individually named members

• I would like to begin sending our marketing emails to my members just telling them about the latest topics which have been posted on my site.

I know how to send a email out to all members, but what I don't know is how to set things up so that each email is addressed individually to each member.

I don't want to start the email "Dear member" as that's too impersonal. I want each email to address each member individually.

Is this possible and if it is, how could I do it?

Many thanks

Jupiter

Forum Box

The UK's Leading Topical Discussion Website

=====

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• Thanks Barungar. Really appreciate that.

Is there a webpage somewhere which lists tips like this? It would be very handy to know what shortcuts I can use.

Many thanks.

Forum Box

=====

• Not one I know. I used try and error to guess some of the possible mail variables. But the only one I use is that for the username... but there were others, too.

• ISB, I've asked and asked and asked for a manual, even made a small mention of it in my signature...

Forum Box

=====

• Following on from my original post here, when I send my mass mailing out, I would like to give the opportunity for my members to unsubscribe from any future mailings from me. Does anyone have any idea how this could be done?

Many thanks!

Jupiter

Forum Box

=====

• Thank you Alexander. I'll advise members to visit that page if they want to stop emails from me.

Forum Box

=====

• Emails are added to a queue and sent as soon as possible. Rate limiting comes with a temporary error status code, causing the emails to be left in the queue and dispatched somewhat later. In general you should be sending emails via SMTP, it is far more reliable and gives the software much more control, it is also less likely to be recognized as spam compared to sending via PHP's mail() function.

• Just an update to this thread, but I am still struggling on this issue.

I can send the emails out fine, but they look a mess. There are no clickable links for the topics I list, as there is no editor box in the ACP when I'm sending out emails.

Have a look here:

How do I change those into clickable links?

Many thanks

Jupiter

Forum Box

=====