Migrate to new server - problems

• Hello,

extended my license to the new version of Forum and Blog, but before I upgrade, I want to migrate my forum to a new server.

I thought about just using FTP to move everything from public_html, but that cause nightmares with database...

I installed wbb 4.1.14 on my new server, and no matter what I do, I cannot import avatars/smilies/attachments. I even made a php file to be sure of the absolute path. Every time, I'll get this error:

http://imgur.com/9CBiBSH

If I import without avatar/smilie/attachment, the import is successful. When I try to get those, this happens. I'm sure I have the proper absolute path. I'm very frustrated by this.

• Why don't you migrate your running installation from the old on the new server? What problems with the database do you have?

A guide about the server migration can be found in the help section:
    Marti

To say something about your import problem you'll need to write down more information about your file structure. And make sure that the old and the new installation are stored (inclusive the database) on the new server before starting the import.

• Migrate the running installation was my first solution, but it did not work. I received some fatal error, even when I tried to access acp directly. Some problems I encountered:

-I am migrating from an open-source management (Sentora) to WHM/Cpanel. Sentora forced a database prefix zadmin_ and WHM/PhpMyAdmin is forcing a different database prefix.

-The sql dump program is not playing nice with php 7

-Using PhpMyAdmin to export/import also fails because of foreign key error

It seems like I need to import everything except for images... and then spend all week rebuilding avatars and smilies

• -The sql dump program is not playing nice with php 7

-Using PhpMyAdmin to export/import also fails because of foreign key error

Do you have access to a shell/cli?
    Then you could do the mysql-export (and import) via mysqldump

e.g. export (replace variables with the correct options)

/usr/bin/mysqldump --user=$DB_USER --password=$DB_PASSWORD --net_buffer_length 4096 --single-transaction $DATABASE > $DATABASE.sql

Import:
    cat $DATABASE.sql | mysql -u$DB_USER -p$DB_PASSWORD $DATABASE

Also you could transfer you data with rsync instead of ftp or something else.

rsync -av USERNAME@OLD-SERVER:/PATH/TO/FORUM .

This will copy anything from your (old server) forum-directory into your current directory (check current dir with pwd for example)

• I think my problem here is the forced database prefix. No matter how successfully I migrate the database contents, WHM won't let me name the database what I want (and neither would sentora/zpanel). Let's say I copy my public_html from one server to the other. It's futile because the running installation is expecting a database named zadmin_MySite , but I can only create a database named mistahq_MySite

That's why I seemed desperate to get the absolute path to work properly.

Unless there is somewhere that I can edit a file to change the database name that the software expects to see... I think I have no choice except a fresh install and importing via acp.

• I think my problem here is the forced database prefix. No matter how successfully I migrate the database contents, WHM won't let me name the database what I want (and neither would sentora/zpanel). Let's say I copy my public_html from one server to the other. It's futile because the running installation is expecting a database named zadmin_MySite , but I can only create a database named mistahq_MySite

This shouldn't be a problem.

Create a new Database in your Panel (e.g. mistahq_MySite) and export your old database via cli: /usr/bin/mysqldump --user=$DB_USER --password=$DB_PASSWORD --net_buffer_length 4096 --no-create-info --single-transaction $DATABASE > $DATABASE.sql

--no-create-info will prevent mysql to write "CREATE DATABASE" into your mysql-dump-file.

After that, you can copy the dump onto the new server and import it.

• Ultimately I had to take the following steps to successfully "move" my forum to the new server. I never did get the forum import to accept the absolute path.

1. Change the php version on my new server to 5.6

2. Download entire public_html with ftp from old server

3. Upload entire public_htmp with ftp to new server

4. Use mysqldumper to backup the database from the old server

5. Create a random database and user for my new server (names could be anything)

6. Use PhpMyAdmin to change the name of this new database and user, into the same database/username/password from my old installation

7. Use mysqldumper to restore the database to the new server

It turns out that after all, my problem was the forced prefix on database and username. But luckily, PhpMyAdmin allowed me to edit it later.

I hope this is helpful to someone else performing a migration in the future.

• I upgraded to the new version and the news plugin crashed my installation (I can't even use acp). Is there anyway to remove a plugin manually or do I have to install this all over again?

• It was cyperghost news system. But I already decided to reinstall the server. WBB 4.1 is perfect for my community... I might not even use my 5.0 license until it has more support.

In 5.0:

-removed the collapsible sidebar

-tim's chat not supported

-I could not update my (darkwoodstudios) shoutbox but had to reinstall it, losing the messages

-no tapatalk support

-blog does not behave the same on my site

I've advocated WBB to many people but I'm regretting my purchase of the license extension. My opinion, 4.1 looks much better, works the way I want it to, has better plugin support, and is much more user friendly in the acp.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Mistah_Q (18. Juni 2017 um 23:30)

• Well I thought I had it working close to how I like, but now out of nowhere, half my site is screwed up.

edit: I had a link, but I decided to point my dns back at the old server. WBB 4.1 worked flawlessly for two years... so this is very frustrating for me:

Spoiler anzeigen

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Mistah_Q (19. Juni 2017 um 01:55)

• Ah yes, the one from post 13 is the one. But I discovered something. I tried one last time with this method -

• I created a fresh, blank copy of the domain, and then did a live migration of WBB 4.1 using the method I described in post #7, successfully had Woltlab working on the new server, uninstalled plugins such as media collection, gamezone, chat, shoutbox, uz bot, etc… basically got my installation down to the core packages of wcf, forum, and blog. Then I rebuilt all the data. Site was working beautifully. I even decided to leave the site on PhP 5.6 this time (abandoned my dream of Php 7 :D ). Then I performed the upgrade to Woltlab Suite 3.0.5, blog 3.0.5, forum 5.0.5 by using the vortex server in acp. It seemed to be working fine, the blog page was appearing how I wanted (arranged like it was before the upgrade), etc.

Then, I ran the conversion of database encoding. The site still worked… then I did the data rebuild. I’m not sure which step, but one of those data rebuild steps is what broke the forum, and it happened again. Same error message again as post #13. The “Forum” worked, but the Dashboard and the Blog were ruined.

After all of that, I gave up: I created another fresh copy of the domain/server, I created a subdirectory and performed the live migration to there. Then I installed a fresh version of 3.0.5/5.0.5 to the root, and this time performed an import from “localhost”. It worked much better this time, importing the avatars and smilies… but now I have some different problems:

-I cannot get the blog to appear the way I want, and,

-Although the smilies imported, they don’t seem to be actually working, for instance the forum will show :youretheman: instead of the actual smiley, even though the smiley is in the system.

I guess I will spend time working on both of those things, but I did learn one thing that will hopefully help others to save some frustration:

There is something about migrating a live forum and then upgrading from WCF to Woltlab Suite that seems to break the dashboard and the blog, and causing the error in post 13.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Mistah_Q (20. Juni 2017 um 12:59)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!