Is there a "My Posts" feature?

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 3.0

On my old vb5 forum, when going into the forum index, you were presented with a series of different menu items, one of them was "My Posts." Does Woltlab have this feature too?

I just want an easy way for members to see what they have posted?

Many thanks!

Jupiter

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• That is a great way and I didn't think of that Fighter456, thanks.

But, the user has to be in a forum/thread where their avatar is showing so that they can click on the word "posts" under their avatar. What I have been asked by one of my members, is if when they first come onto my forum, is there a link in the menu, or perhaps on the Dashboard that can show them their posts immediately, without having to hunt out one of their posts, so that they can then do as you illustrate?

• Did you try to create a new page menu item with the List of Posts by a Certain User as page link? As I do not have a installed version of WoltLab Suite Forum currently I can not say if this works properly as the id of the current user must be automatically resolved by the system.

• Fighter456, that's exactly what I want, but I looked before and just looked again and there is no option for "List of posts by a certain user" in the dropdown menu for pages in the Menu section.

The only options I could find are for albums/pictures as shown here, not posts:

• UPDATE:

I have just looked in the Pages section and I have found a page called "List of posts by a certain user," but this page is missing from the dropdown menu list in the Pages selection in the Menus area. How can I add this page to a menu when the page exists but the option to select it is missing from the menu item list? thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Some pages cannot be added to the menu, because their actual URL is dynamic and cannot be statically provided. The post list is controlled by an user id parameter that accepts any user, not just the current user.

Also your own profile contains a link to the post list too, the things displayed in the message sidebar can also be found in the user profile header.

• Some pages cannot be added to the menu, because their actual URL is dynamic and cannot be statically provided. The post list is controlled by an user id parameter that accepts any user, not just the current user.

Also your own profile contains a link to the post list too, the things displayed in the message sidebar can also be found in the user profile header.

I don't really understand that Alexander, if I am honest, that's beyond my technical knowledge which is pretty much non-existent. But how can similar pages like "List of images by a certain user" be displayed in the menu, but not a similar function for posts?

This is a very basic feature of all forums, I am very surprised Woltlab does not have it. If I re-post this in the suggestion forum, would you consider it as a possibility for adding in a later upgrade of the software?

thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But how can similar pages like "List of images by a certain user" be displayed in the menu, but not a similar function for posts?

The link will be the same for everyone, regardless of whoever accesses the menu. This is different to the post list, which shows the list of posts for a particular user, but you don't want every user to see the same list, but every user to see their own list. And this is where things get tricky, because the parameters can no longer be determined ahead of time and there is currently no sub-feature that indicates such a functionality. This is a limitation of the page/menu system that only allows for (somewhat) static links.

This is a very basic feature of all forums, I am very surprised Woltlab does not have it.

Basic yes, but of limited use. That's usually not a link one would access on regular terms, which is why it was placed in a more context-sensitive manner at various different places. This is similar to the members list, which becomes almost useless on large forums due to the high amount of users, making the search a much better approach.

If I re-post this in the suggestion forum, would you consider it as a possibility for adding in a later upgrade of the software?

Such a link would require a substantial change to the inner workings of the page/menu system, which means it would earliest arrive with 3.2/5.2 due to stability guidelines.

It would be much easier to ask a plugin author to craft you a tiny plugin that ships with a custom page that does nothing but redirect to the user's own post list. This pretty much avoids the whole issue because the link to that page is static, but the result is determined by the custom page on runtime, which doesn't bother the menu system at all.

• Great stuff fighter456!

How did you do it considering the comments by the developer here?

I can wait for it to appear in the plugin store. No rush, no need to pester you with conversations.

Many thanks!

Jupiter

• But Woltlab consider it "of limited use" and thus it's not available in the core. Bizarre.

• These are not five minutes of work and in total under 100 lines of PHP code inclusive comments.

The file has been uploaded yesterday in the late evening into the plugin store. After a review through WoltLab it will be available for everyone.

Fighter456
    10. Januar 2020 um 14:36

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!