Changing / Modifying words / letters of Forum Header Links - HOW?

• I have a Plugin named "Contact Form" on my forum.

It appears on my Forum Header as: Contact form

I want to change this TO:

Contact Form - in other words I want to change the lower case letter "f" TO an upper case "F"

I contacted the Developer (WBB-Elite.de) and he said:

You must change on the navigation items in the ACP the name of the entry.

But after changing ALL word entries in "manage phrases" which pertain to "contact form",

it did not change the lower case letter f TO an upper case F (see attachment).

Perhaps the "change" I am attempting to make has to be done somewhere else?

Can anyone help me?

• Thank you, Throwholics!

I was able to make the change of the lower case "f" to an Upper Case letter "F" in about 15 - 20 seconds.

Comment: This situation / issue regarding changing a letter of a Link Item that appears in the Header is just ONE of

several (many?) issues / parts of Woltlab Forum Software that could be improved upon - not the least of which would

be a "help list" OR "manual" which could be created (by Woltlab) to address ALL these simple, yet sometimes confusing

and sometimes frustrating issues / changes / modifications which sooner or later just about every purchaser of

Woltlab Forum Software will face in the building and modifying of their forum!

Your direction of where to look for in changing of that lower case "f" was probably very easy for you, Throwholics -

as I have no doubt based upon previous hints and "help" you have given me and others; but there are many other individuals

(myself included) who do NOT find it easy - and sometimes in the attempt to find the "right place" to make changes and/or additions,

modifications, etc., can be down-right intellectually challenging.

I hope Alexander Ebert (and other Developers of Woltlab Forum Software besides Alexander) will take this one, small example

herewith as a "call" to make some sort of "manual" OR "Help Assist Panel" built into the Forum Software of a future version of

the forum software.

I realize it is a huge task; but I feel confident that there are Members here in Woltlab Forum who would gladly help in suggesting

and listing those subjects/parts which need an attached "help meet" manual. It wouldn't happen over-night; but at least you can

get started on this project, right???

OR, failing this, perhaps some energetic, very knowledgeable Plugin Developer who contributes to Woltlab can come forward

and ask us "computer / forum novices" what we need to have included in that "manual or list of "help-meets".

If such a "manual of help" existed, I for one would be willing to purchase it - and would consider any price for this type Plugin

that is within "reason". OR, willing to pay EXTRA for the future version of Woltlab Forum Software.

DJ

Life’s a Bitch … have a 4um! - DJ

• Obviously, I agree with Ruff Seas on his points.

Us "newbies" are having to create help posts here for basic stuff that should be covered in a manual.

How can we set up our forums with Woltab software, when we don't know all the various features of it and what it can do, or, not do?

It really is imperative that Woltlab has a manual?

Just a sidenote, I did not know about this Contact Us plugin, but this should be a core feature anyway, I had this on my vb5 forum. Basically it should be a Page like Disclaimer. I just created a Contact Us page yesterday, but what I really wanted was a form like what Ruff Seas is doing, but I am reluctant to have too many plugins on my forum, as past experience has shown that they can cause problems.

Thank you

Jupiter

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• I don't see how editing the name of a menu item is difficult, it used to be easier in previous versions but in those versions it was not possible to create custom menus as now.

Anyway, it's very self explanatory: Content > Menus > Main Menu (or any other menu you want to edit) > Menu Items

Although I agree a manual and a full developer documentation is necessary.

My styles and plugins in the Plugin-Store.

♪Quiero robarle los minutos a las horas pa' que mis padres nunca se me pongan viejos...♫

• I don't see how editing the name of a menu item is difficult, it used to be easier in previous versions but in those versions it was not possible to create custom menus as now.

Anyway, it's very self explanatory: Content > Menus > Main Menu (or any other menu you want to edit) > Menu Items

Although I agree a manual and a full developer documentation is necessary.

"I don't see how editing the name of a menu item is difficult ...."

It IS difficult if an individual does NOT know where to find (locate) the proper area in the ACP to make a change or modification.

The recent example of this was with the issue that this Post centered on, e.g., changing that lower case letter in the Form Header.

When I was working for a large company in the U.S. (unrelated to the type of work Wollab Developers do) I had some problems

at first becoming acquainted with the many "ins and outs" of the office details and protocol of where - how - when to log the various

daily actions and requirements; but once I became aware of these, AND knew where to go or what file to look in, it became a lot

easier. When I approached my boss about this situation (for new-comers like myself), he replied:

"Nothing is difficult if you know what you're doing"

Yeah; and of course YOU apparently know what you're "doing" ... but I suspect there was a time in your life (here with Woltlab) that you

did not know ... but experience (and maybe help from someone along the way a time or two) enabled you to gain the basic ground

work (and knowledge) that led eventually to YOU being able to say: "I don't see how editing the name of a menu item is difficult ...."

A very wise person I knew in the Home Construction business told me once:

"If one doesn't know something, the best next thing is knowing where to find the information."

But NOT all of us know WHERE to "find the information"; and that is my point (and case) for asking/suggesting there be some sort

of manual or "help assist" block or module imbedded somewhere in the forum software program - whether that be by the

Software Developers of Woltlab, OR, designed/created by an independent Plugin Developer.

DJ

• Thanks for your comments!

Especially:

Us "newbies" are having to create help posts here for basic stuff that should be covered in a manual.

One point you mentioned - about "plugins":

You are right about that ... but fortunately I have had only ONE Plugin give me problems with other parts/functions of the forum.

So I deleted it. I try to make a habit of only uploading one or two Plugins (at the most) in any one time period or day - that way IF

there is a problem, I don't have to take the better part of a day trying to figure out what happened to my forum!

NOTE: I would imagine that MOST Independent Plugin Developers (if indeed not all) take into account

(when designing a Plugin) the possibility that it may possibly interfere with OTHER Plugins OR Woltlab Software; and they don't

release their Plugin until they are sure these "negative effects" are not present with their Plugin.

DJ

• All of us are new with this software, at least with this version that is different from the previous ones (e.g. CMS, custom menus, ACP is different, many other new features, etc.). You should maybe explore a little more the software, install it locally (or use the WoltLab demo) and just play with it (that doesn't mean you shouldn't ask things in the forum). Also, the search tool in the ACP is very useful. That won't replace a manual (that, again, it is necessary) but it will really help you a lot. Even with a manual, if you don't explore the software you will never get used to it, and that applies not only for WoltLab apps but for any software.

My styles and plugins in the Plugin-Store.

♪Quiero robarle los minutos a las horas pa' que mis padres nunca se me pongan viejos...♫

• Hi Caribe_Soy

I did use the demo, but as per my first posts on this forum which you saw, until recently, the demo wasn't fully in English, especially all the boxes, so I could not evaluate properly.

I had a time crunch on my hands as I wanted to change the forum software and I needed to do it while my country, the UK, was in election mode. My forum, in part, is politics and there wasn't any politics going on while the UK was having its election. The fully English demo only became fully available last month, so I have not had much time to test and I had to make a decision. Switch to a software which I hadn't fully tested, but really liked (WOltlab) or choose an alternative. I chose Woltalb.

I will create a separate thread about how to install locally and how this affects the licence, because in future I would like to do all tests on a local copy and not, as in the case now, on my live forum.

Many thanks for your comments.

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)