How do I create a Moderator forum?

• Cyperghost

As far as I knew I set the correct permissions for the staff groups, but that is all part of my questions, what is correct and what is incorrect?

I've scrapped all the permissions and started from scratch and this is where I am now:

My main admin account and newly created staff account cannot see threads/posts from the test accounts in the Moderator Decisions forum, which is obviously bad as they are the ones who are meant to see these threads/posts as well as the thread creators and be able to adjudicate on them.

This is now working, staff cam see all the posts, but all the other problems still remain.

Let me illustrate about the red button problem.

Here is a screenshot of what my Horizon test 3 account sees.

This account has not posted in the mod forum, so cannot see any posts from my other accounts in there. All good so far. But, as you can see, as well as being able to see who replied last to that forum (my main Horizon admin account) which should be hidden, the red button indicator is showing 18 unread posts for the moderator forum. There are, as you can see, 39 posts in total in the forum, but because the Horizon test 3 account has not posted in the mod forum, then no red indicators should show for that account as its not unread. And even more oddly, the red indicator is showing the amount of "unread" threads rather than posts.

You can't read something, if you don't have access to those posts and threads in the first place...

Additionally, and as already said, this test account can see all the posts from the moderator forum the Dashboard in the "Latest Activity" box. They shouldn't.

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• Here's another illustration of the red button problem but this time showing you the red button indicator in the menu:

This is the same Horizon Test 3 account which has not posted any posts in the mod forum, yet is getting a red notification box of posts that the account cannot/does not have permission to view. So, why the red indicator?

All of my members are going to wake up tomorrow and get red notifications of posts they cannot see or have access to and they are going to wonder what is wrong? They are going to click on the red notification indicator to be met with the above message. It will lead to a lot of confusion.

• That's right, the plugin blocks the access, but the user still gets the red unread notifications.

I may need to disable the plugin, because it will just confuse members, unless Woltlab has a way that the red unread notifications can be turned off for this forum?? It will cause too many problems if members keep receiving the red unread notifications for posts/threads they cannot access or see.

• Can Alexander Ebert perhaps answer if the hidden forum feature that he has implemented in a future version, will remove the red unread notifications issue that I am having with Cyperghost 's plugin.

As I illustrated, there is no point in having a hidden forum and hidden threads, if users are told via the unread notifications that there are unread posts which they cannot see or use. Users will simply ask, where are the unread threads? They shouldn't be given notification of them to begin with. The user permissions (is that the correct term?) which allow the notifications should not exist for users who cannot read the threads.

I am also having difficulty with Christopher Walz 's plugin too.

I can link my mods accounts to use a central staff account, but there is a security flaw. They can all get into each others accounts via this plugin.

I want all my staff to use a central staff account and be able to link to that account only and no other. Can anyone help on this?

As is stands, I have had to abandoned my moderator forum until these issues can be resolved.;(

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Jupiter (12. Juni 2017 um 18:07)

• I have a forum for administrator and moderator

name staff

hidden is just hidden in the list not hidden for users and for thread number

if you want hidden for users you must go in this forum permission , create the permission to each group , they can see or not thread

guess : deny for all

users : deny for all

moderator : grant for all

if you have this properties , people without access do see the thread , the number of thread not read don't move if you create a thread

• Thanks Marc, but that won't work.

The moderator decisions forum that I am trying to create is for my staff AND members, but with limitations

The forum is purely a way for members to appeal a moderator decision against themselves. Members must not be able to access, read, reply or be notified of other members posts in the forum. At the moment, they are getting notifications of posts, they do not have permission to view. They can read all posts on the Dashboard and can read who posted the last reply in the forum in the forum index. That should all be hidden to them, except their own specific posts.

• you can grant the access for a specific user too or create a special group by exemple banuser

this group can only see,read and write this moderation forum and he sees nothing else , it is just permission to add or remove

• Thanks Marc, but that won't work.

The moderator decisions forum that I am trying to create is for my staff AND members, but with limitations

The forum is purely a way for members to appeal a moderator decision against themselves. Members must not be able to access, read, reply or be notified of other members posts in the forum. At the moment, they are getting notifications of posts, they do not have permission to view. They can read all posts on the Dashboard and can read who posted the last reply in the forum in the forum index. That should all be hidden to them, except their own specific posts.

As I believe you are aware of, I have been following your Posts regarding this matter (as described above and through-out this Thread)

but I have basically stayed out of the discussion because other than the fact I may very well want to incorporate at least some of this

same type format on my forum - I am a self-classified "dummy" when it comes to technical issues, especially when they get very involved.

But I can't help but wonder ... perhaps you may have to hire some outside technical help in order to make what you want, a reality?

I won't go into it here, but there are at least a couple of issues regarding Woltlab Forum Software I would like to get modified (strictly

for my own ease of use, and peace of mind); and my conclusion is: I will will probably have to hire outside help if I so choose to

make those "modifications" into reality.

DJ

• I want all my staff to use a central staff account and be able to link to that account only and no other. Can anyone help on this?

YOu should only link one way.

So Mod 1 can switch to Central Account

Mod 2 can switch to central account but noen can vice versa.

If they want to go back to MOd 1 /2 they have to logout from the central account and login with their user credentials.

• YOu should only link one way.

So Mod 1 can switch to Central Account

Mod 2 can switch to central account but noen can vice versa.

If they want to go back to MOd 1 /2 they have to logout from the central account and login with their user credentials.

But surely the whole point of the plugin is so that staff don't need to log out of the central account and then log back into their normal accounts? It just needs to be tweaked they while staff are in the central account, they can't access each others normal accounts.

• you can grant the access for a specific user too or create a special group by exemple banuser

this group can only see,read and write this moderation forum and he sees nothing else , it is just permission to add or remove

For banned uses that is fine, Marc. But I want members to see their own specific threads and posts within this forum and staff see ALL posts within this forum.

• But surely the whole point of the plugin is so that staff don't need to log out of the central account and then log back into their normal accounts? It just needs to be tweaked they while staff are in the central account, they can't access each others normal accounts.

Unfortunately that's not possible. If one has link from person 1 to person 2 and person 3 had same s account switch link to person 2, he can currently login to person 1 as well.

How would you think this should be possible? Maybe with 2 factor login or extended login. For the mod user accounts?

Darkwood.Design
    13. Januar 2020 um 17:30
  • I can't comment on that plugin you mention, Throwholics, perhaps Christopher Walz will see this thread and see if he can help me. I am sure I could throw a few euros his way, if he could sort something out.

Thanks for the suggestions and interest Throwholics, much appreciated.:thumbup::)

It is very frustrating. Everything I want to do with my moderator decisions forum is 90% done, but it either has to work 100% or not have it at all.:/||

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can Alexander Ebert perhaps answer if the hidden forum feature that he has implemented in a future version, will remove the red unread notifications issue that I am having with Cyperghost 's plugin.

Absolutely, it behaves like any other forum and will only take threads into account that you actually have access to.

• Great news.:thumbup:

Alexander Ebert When do you think the hidden forum feature will be released please? Just a very rough ETA. thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!