Member IPs

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 3.0

Purchased the WOltab software yesterday, very nice.

Thanks to Andrea for answering my urgent questions via ticket support.

I am looking at my list of members in the admincp, but it's not showing me their IPs. Is there a way to display their IPs?

I am having problems with user logins and I can see who has tried to login via the failed attempts section, but I cannot see if any of my guests on the site are members. I can see the the guests IPs in Users Online, but I cannot tell if any of these guests are my members unless they try and login.

thanks

Jupiter

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• You can always look in: ACP >Users >then Click on "Users"

That should give you a list of everyone that is currently a Member of your forum.

As for whether or not "Guests" become Members, that of course depends on several settings - one being whether or not

you have your User Permissions set for allowing Guests; and then there is the setting to do with Email Verification; Admin Only

(applied Membership has to be approved by Admin); or NO Email verification required in order to become a Member.

As for the "failed attempts", sometimes I get these too - and there are several reasons for it, not the least is which the person

who became a Member did NOT remember their Password!

As for the IP Address not showing, the older version of the Woltlab Forum Software had (if memory serves me correctly) a

way of checking this from the Users section of the ACP. Not sure with the newest version where that is located - I seldom

bother with it - EXCEPT when someone actually starts a Thread and makes a Post - then I (or my Moderator) checks it out.

Hope this info helps a bit for you; and if not, hang in there - there are several Woltlab Members here on the Woltlab Forum

who have a lot of experience (MORE than me!) so I'm sure someone will see your post and be more than glad to help you!

DJ

• You can always look in: ACP >Users >then Click on "Users"

That should give you a list of everyone that is currently a Member of your forum.

Thanks for your post Ruff Seas, I appreciate your trying to help.

But, when I go into the ACP>users it does not show the users IP. The only place in the admincp that shows member IPs is in the failed login section.

Separately, as I understand it, every member or guest should be in the user group "everybody." I have tried moving members into this user group by selecting them in the users area of admincp, clicking the blue box at the bottom of the page and selecting "Add to user group" which then takes me onto a separate page with user groups listed. But, there is no user group option for "everybody" or "users" which I renamed to members on this page. Can anyone help on this please?

Many thanks

Jupiter

• Did you added the admin manually from the ACP? In that case you won't see his IP, try creating a test user from the frontend and check if you see the IP.

My styles and plugins in the Plugin-Store.

Spoiler anzeigen

— ¡Carajo! —gritó

Amaranta, que empezaba a meter la ropa en el baúl, creyó que la había picado un alacrán.

— ¿Dónde está? —preguntó alarmada.

—¿Qué?

— ¡El animal!

Úrsula se puso un dedo en el corazón.

— Aquí —dijo.

♪Quiero robarle los minutos a las horas pa' que mis padres nunca se me pongan viejos...♫

• ... thanks for that Caribe_Soy.

I think I may know what has happened here, to explain I migrated my forum from vbulletin5 to woltlab, but am having lots of problems. All my members can't log in, forum and user permissions, don't work etc. I think once I do create a new member using the woltlab software, rather than using details of previous members from the vbulletin software, perhaps that may then show their IPs. ALthough this is still really bad, I need to see IPs for all members, whether migrated ones or not.

I've currently been locked out of my site though for trying to login use a test account previously created under the vbulletin software. I can't get back into my admincp because of too many failed logins, which is really bad. This should be allowed in this software, you should never get locked out of your own account.

I've created a ticket for this, but do you have any ideas how I can get back into my own site? It says to try again later, but that was a hour ago?

Many thanks

Jupiter

http://www.forumbox.co.uk

• OK, I've been "allowed" back into my admincp again.

But my other questions still stand.

• Maybe this plugin helps you?

Thank you, that actually answers a future point I was going to ask.

Usually its should be stored and you would be able to see them, but within the acp you only see the registration ip

But that's my whole point, I cannot see member registration IPs in the admincp-users area at all. The only place it shows is under failed
    logins.

Once the imported user creates an activity for example writing a post you can see as admin his ip address at the post. A ? should pop up.

That bit is working fine. Member IPs are showing up in their posts.

• VB did have the registration IPs. Unfortunately, along with member passwords and all the permissions, the IPs didn't migrate over into the users area of admincp but they DID in the failed login area of the admincp area which is bizarre. My polls didn't migrate over, but by and large am very happy that most of the info did make it.

If Tim Düsterhus created this import tool (is Tim a staff member?), then thanks to him. I expected to lose all my data from my old forum, whereas I've got 95% of it. Pretty good!:)

• This shouldnt be posisble. THis must be new failed logins.

The member data is was migrated over from VB5 and the failed logins are where members tried to log into the new woltlab forum using their vb5 passwords and/or where I manually reset the passwords for each member using the new woltlab software. See here:

• Usually its should be stored and you would be able to see them, but within the acp you only see the registration ip.

As said, the member IPs are not showing in the admincp-users area. See here:

• That's right... I don't think there is a view which shows the IPs of the members in ACP. WoltLab as german software designer is quite strict when it comes to ip addresses (information privacy).

• That's right... I don't think there is a view which shows the IPs of the members in ACP. WoltLab as german software designer is quite strict when it comes to ip addresses (information privacy).

As illustrated above, member IPs ARE showing in the admincp in the maintenance->failed login attempts, which is fine. But I need them in the admincp->users area too, which is essential.

German law is irrelevant to me. Woltlab need to ensure that their software is compliant with the rules of the other countries that they sell into. I MUST have a record of member IPs in case of a court order.

I also need the same info displayed in the Users Online section, basically just like it is in the failed login attempts area. A bit like more like my old vb forum here:

• I didn't say that there are no ip adresses recorded. I just said that the software doesn't have all those fancy spy functions other forum softwares have. Every post a user makes is marked with the current ip; but there is no function in the standard the get those neatly on a simple view in acp or something.

The registration ip of a user is stored in the database's user table. The ip of every post is stored in the post table.

All you need is a itsy-bitsy SQL so get all those stuff you need to satisfy you court orders.

• Sorry about ti...

woltlab.com/pluginstore/file/2040/

it was showing with that plugin..

SoftCreatR has a plan to develop it for the WSC as well, but had not had the time up to now.

Perhaps Woltlab might integrate this into the core of their software for international customers. I'll raise a suggestion for it later. Thanks!

• I didn't say that there are no ip adresses recorded. I just said that the software doesn't have all those fancy spy functions other forum softwares have. Every post a user makes is marked with the current ip; but there is no function in the standard the get those neatly on a simple view in acp or something.

The registration ip of a user is stored in the database's user table. The ip of every post is stored in the post table.

All you need is a itsy-bitsy SQL so get all those stuff you need to satisfy you court orders.

It's nothing to do with spying, but just having basic information. I understand German history and the sensitivity on these matters, likewise you must understand that there is no such sensitively in many other countries on these issues.

I am a new admin, my technical skills are almost non-existent, I won't be able to do a bit of itsy bitsy to get the info from the MySql database, but thanks anyway.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!