user online displays two different numbers depending on what page it's on

• I tried to help out with a suggestion. If you think you have configured your forum as you like it then let it be. The forum online box is only showing who is browsing adventures log. That's it and that's never gonna change in woltlab software

It is logic to show only the users browsing per forum. If you are in the overall forum landing page it shows everyone who is online that's the difference.

You could remove adventure log category and have the invisible forum still showing.

• I tried to help out with a suggestion. If you think you have configured your forum as you like it then let it be. The forum online box is only showing who is browsing adventures log. That's it and that's never gonna change in woltlab software

It is logic to show only the users browsing per forum. If you are in the overall forum landing page it shows everyone who is online that's the difference.

You could remove adventure log category and have the invisible forum still showing.

To me it's not logical to have a users online box that does not show all of the users online.

Also... did you not see that the box, users online, when displayed on a forum WILL show all of the users online if you click the link in the box to show the users.

That is not logical behavior. If it is only showing the members browsing a forum then why would it change to show all users when you clink on it's link?

To me it's simple. If there is a box that will show all the users online, then that's what it should do no matter where you feel like showing the box.

I guess someone could make a plugin, but that's really ridiculous.

Here is a common sense reason for wanting the box to show ALL users, even in a forum:

I want my users to be able to see all the people who are logged in.... wherever I decide to show it. Is it that hard to understand?

• Here is an analogy.

Say you are in a building and you have a video monitor on your cell phone that says "show people in the building" and that's what it does. It shows you all the people who are in the building and their location, but as soon as you walk into a room it switches to only show you who's in that same room.

You don't expect that to happen and it doesn't make sense. You want to see all the people in the building from wherever you are, but it refuses to allow it.

So when you are in a room, "show people in the building" does not show all the people in the building anymore.... BUT, if you click on the text "show people in the building, THEN it will give you a list of everyone in the building and where they are located even when you are in a room.

That's exactly how users online is functioning and it is NOT logical.

• Here is an analogy.

Say you are in a building and you have a video monitor on your cell phone that says "show people in the building" and that's what it does. It shows you all the people who are in the building and their location, but as soon as you walk into a room it switches to only show you who's in that same room.

You don't expect that to happen and it doesn't make sense. You want to see all the people in the building from wherever you are, but it refuses to allow it.

So when you are in a room, "show people in the building" does not show all the people in the building anymore.... BUT, if you click on the text "show people in the building, THEN it will give you a list of everyone in the building and where they are located even when you are in a room.

That's exactly how users online is functioning and it is NOT logical.

For what it is worth, I happen to agree with what you said and with the logic and reasoning you put forth to explain your position on this issue!;)

DJ

• Open a suggestion in the specific forum and the woltlab team will act in it.

But I doubt Alexander Ebert or Marcel Werk will change their view on that matter..

well ........... let's us all hope that they will give this issue some serious thought at least ...

after all, we Woltlab Purchasers / Customers are what makes their bread get "buttered" - if you catch my "drift":):P

• Going to try to explain my "translation error" one more time.

Here is the Users Online box on my forum page. It shows 3 users online.

So why does it show EVERYONE online when you click the link to expand it? So which is it?

This is either broken and not working correctly, or it is working as intended, but not logical.

• Not on your forum page, but rather within a category!

It's showing two different things from the exact same place is my point. When you see three people online in that box and then click on the box to see them, you get a different number. You actually think that makes perfect sense?

• The website has only one category with two forums under it.

The category is Adventure log.

The Users online box is in a forum and when you click on it, it shows everyone online no matter where they are locate, which is what I want, but the ox only displays who is in that one forum - UNTIL you click on it... and then it decides to show you everyone.

I can't understand what you don't get about that and I can't understand how you think that's a logical way for it to be working.

• You actually think that makes perfect sense?

Yes, like i stated pages before...

The website has only one category with two forums under it.

You could reange that, remove the category and put the two different forums to the top. Then you would have the forum main page as Forum start page.

Everyone who is within the app Forum will be displayed.

but the ox only displays who is in that one forum

Because it has been since the beginning of woltlab, it has always be the case that it shows you who is browing in that specific forum! It is the same for example Who is browsing a thread,

(just here)

It shows who is reading the thread, it follows the same principle!

. and then it decides to show you everyone.

because then it shows everyone who is online, you are redirected to a new page. and it DOES MAKE SENSE!

• because then it shows everyone who is online, you are redirected to a new page. and it DOES MAKE SENSE!

No, it doesn't make sense that a box that refuses to show you everyone who is online when it's placed in a forum then decides to redirect you to a place that DOES show you everyone online. That is not expected behavior at all.

So you cannot have a simple box that displays all users online, no matter where you choose to show that box ... but if you click on it then it does. Yeah, I don't know what you're smoking but that makes no sense to me.

Why would a box that only shows who is browsing the forum redirect to show you something else?

Why can't a box that shows everyone online be placed in a forum?

Makes zero sense and frankly I cannot believe you do not see it.

• I'm done trying to explain you the reasoning here.

Well, I don't think you ever explained the reasoning, only "that's the way it's always been" and "that's how it works"

I know how it works, I just think it's not logical.

To me what is logical is that I want a box that can display all the users online, no matter where I chose to display that box.

The reason I want this is because my forum is my main page. I don't want people to land on the main forum page and then have to click into the forum.

• No, it doesn't make sense that a box that refuses to show you everyone who is online when it's placed in a forum then decides to redirect you to a place that DOES show you everyone online. That is not expected behavior at all.

So you cannot have a simple box that displays all users online, no matter where you choose to show that box ... but if you click on it then it does. Yeah, I don't know what you're smoking but that makes no sense to me.

Why would a box that only shows who is browsing the forum redirect to show you something else?

Why can't a box that shows everyone online be placed in a forum?

Makes zero sense and frankly I cannot believe you do not see it.

I agree.

Clearly Wolltab have implemented this a certain way as explained by throwholics, but this is not how any other forum software works and is totally counter intuitive and like you, I dislike it and it find it confusing.

A "who is online" box should be just that, whose is online and should function and display exactly the same regardless of where the box is placed. It is quite bizarre that Woltlab has implemented this in such a alien and different way to everywhere else.

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• Simple said I explained how it works on woltlab since the last time beginning. It seems you are quite different with a complete different opinion about it. We are not coming to an end here, it is what it is and woltlab will not change that.

I'm done trying to explain you the reasoning here.

No, its not that he's different, it's that Woltlab is different.

It Woltlab want to gain market share beyond Germany, then they should reconsider certain things as the negatives with using this software are starting to build up for me the more I use it, not having a manual being the biggest. Although, it does look very nice, so a major plus point there.

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!