user online displays two different numbers depending on what page it's on

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 3.0

The users online box displays different numbers on different pages

on my main page, which is a 'forum' page (app/forum), it displays this:

On any other page that is an 'app' (forum/wcf) page, it display this -

When you click on the link to display the full list of users online, you get two different numbers too. The URLs are both exactly the same though.

I'm not sure which display is correct, but I think the larger number is the correct one.

Any idea what could be causing this?

The link to the main forum page is https://www.icecreamonmars.com/forum/index.ph…-adventure-log/

If you click on the dashboard, for instance, you will see that the users online list does not match what is on the main forum page.

• Is the problem still going on? Currently I see no differences in the boxes.

Yes. It's always different between the two. Right now it says three users are online on the forum page (my main page) and theres more than twice as many showing on the other pages.

Also, the box on the other pages display the history of the most ever online and the one on the forum does not.

They are the exact same boxes too.

Here's my front page

https://www.icecreamonmars.com/forum/index.ph…-adventure-log/

If you look at the users online box on the right sidebar, then go to the dashboard and look at the box, the numbers will be totally different. Always higher.

• It's very perplexing. I cannot even begin to think how these numbers could be different. It's always a lower number that shows on the forum too.. a lot of times I think people are gone but they're still logged in.

Could it have anything to do with cookies?

• 'm not an expert but I think the problem is that you do not have the forum as a starting page

Norwegian language files to (WSC 5.2 + 5.3 WSC 5.4 + 5.5 and The New 6.0 ) *no.xml* Unofficial Language Packs

• On the first screen the box shows which users are online in this particular forum.

In the second picture the box shows which users are generally on your side.

Oh, okay!

Is there any way that I can do anything to make the box (or make a box) show who's online anywhere on the forum?

Thank you for explaining this fore me!

• I agree with Black Star. THe users online boxes display differently and they should all look the same, as he has illustrated.

Plus, is there a separate box which shows which users have visited my site in say the last day?

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• Perfectly understand that. But mine and Black Star's point (if I can speak on his behalf too) is that regardless of the page, the box should look and work the same way and it doesn't.

• I guess my misunderstanding, as you put it, although I disagree, is based on the fact that the box, in my opinion, should function and behave the same way, regardless of the page it is on.

Thanks.

• OK I try to explain how it's works... ?

I suggest to use https://www.icecreamonmars.com/forum/ as the forum main page. Then you wouldn't face that issue on there.

Yoi can simply remove the adventure category and put all forums underneath one level higher.

Then it should work as you planned it

I don't want that to be my main page.I only have ONE public forum and I don't want people to have to click an extra click to get into it. I want people to go right to it, as that is MY MAIN PAGE

The box should behave the same if I decide to display it in a box on any page I want. Why wouldn't it? I mean, if I put it on different pages it shows all user online no matter where they are.

For instance, when displayed on the dashboard page it show everyone logged on when no one goes to the dashboard. That's just not a logical way to have that box display. Users online means users online to me, not browsing a forum.

I understand your explanation for why it's behaving the way it does, I just don't agree that it should behave that way.

• Also, when you click on the Users Online from the forum to show the users.... THEN it shows all of the users online anywhere in the forum.

That makes ZERO sense.

So I see from the "forum" users online that there are three users online and when I click the link to show the users, it shows me 10 users who are logged in.

Don't tell me that's a logical way it should be working, lol.

• I don't want that to be my main page.I only have ONE public forum and I don't want people to have to click an extra click to get into it. I want people to go right to it, as that is MY MAIN PAGE

The box should behave the same if I decide to display it in a box on any page I want. Why wouldn't it? I mean, if I put it on different pages it shows all user online no matter where they are.

For instance, when displayed on the dashboard page it show everyone logged on when no one goes to the dashboard. That's just not a logical way to have that box display. Users online means users online to me, not browsing a forum.

I understand your explanation for why it's behaving the way it does, I just don't agree that it should behave that way.

You can make it your main page also.. ? just remove the category and put the forums underneath one level up. This would solve your problem. I can help you if you don't know what I mean.

• You can make it your main page also.. ? just remove the category and put the forums underneath one level up. This would solve your problem. I can help you if you don't know what I mean.

There is a hidden forum that only logged in members can see. I have it laid out exactly how I want it to be, other than I can't get a forum to be the landing page... which is also very irritating.. So I have to redirect things to make that work like it does even.

So the users online box, working correctly in a logical sense would really solve my problem.

Does it make sense that if no one is on the dashboard page, the users online box on the dashboard page will show everyone logged onto the forum (users online) but when you want to use that same box to display that same information on a forum, you can't? It's called users online... after all, and that's the function I'd like it to do no matter where I decide to put the box.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!