Expanding the Metatags in core

• App
    WoltLab Suite Core

At the time of writing there are several addons that enhance the search engine experience by adding custom metatags to the forums and noindex control, but these are all separate addons and it would be nice to see more user control if it comes to the metatags.

Like i said before, you have the ones that are automatically generated based on the forum description and the article teaser, which is nice, but i'm pretty sure that the more advanced users like to control those tags themselves without generating them.

Here is what i find missing:

• Meta description and tags for articles like you have for pages(so the creator can enter them).
    • Metadescription and tags for forums themselves.
    • Page Title field(for forums and articles!)(this way you can make more use of spreading your keywords that are important over three different places, which in term allows for more freemdom)
    • Prevents search engines from indexing this page.
    • Prevents search engines from following links on this page.
    • Prevents cached copies of this page from appearing in search results.

I know some people will see the the page title field as overkill, but it allows for so much more freedom... Lets take a look at an real life example about a news item about a music festival:

Page title:GMM 2016: Metallica, Deep Puple, Black Sabbath

<article body text>

Meta Description: These are the news names for Graspop Metal Meeting 2016: Sabaton, Epica, Avantasia, Nightwish,<other names till 255 chars has been reached) 

Meta-tags: <Empty> Since tags don't have any relevant meaning, i let those ones empty.

This allows the editor to but the most popular names in the page title(most important place) and the lesser names in the description field. Off course this allows for spamming search engines, but that's up to the author/admin to decide.

The fields in bold are the most important to me, but I'm pretty sure its the same for other users.

So what do i suggest exactly:

• Meta description and page-title control for articles
    • Meta description and page-title control for forums

So why not use an add-on for those things?

Well, the functionality is already partially in the core and it would be pity if it would not be used in the other parts of the (forum) core..

I hope i made it somewhat clear by adding examples and let the discussions start8)

• I think the reason my forum has disappeared from Google's rankings, is, in part, due to a lack of meta descriptions and title tags on forums.

On my old vbulletin 5 forum, I could create these for each forum, sub form, blog, blog article, basically everything on my entire site. Woltlab should do this too.

SEO needs to be improves substantially.

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• Offizieller Beitrag

due to a lack of meta descriptions and title tags on forums.

Which are entirely ignored by Google for many, many years already. The only exception is, that the meta description to get presented to the user when showing search results, but they are not used to calculate any sort of relevance/ranking score.

• Which are entirely ignored by Google for many, many years already. The only exception is, that the meta description to get presented to the user when showing search results, but they are not used to calculate any sort of relevance/ranking score.

This is the first time i hear about that... The description is still important, at least that is my own experience ..

• Offizieller Beitrag

The "keywords" meta tag is entirely ignored by Google and they even have an official video where they explicitly admit it. It's also 2 minutes long and explains why the meta description is useful to attract users on search engines to click on your link. I really recommend that you take a look at it, it's pretty rare that Google reveals anything in that direction: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/79812?hl=en

There's also the announcement by Google from back in 2009 where they stated the relevance of certain meta tags and how they use them: https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2009/09/google…s-meta-tag.html

• Back to topic: I'd like that we can set meta tags which will be served with every requests, since the needed APIs are already implemented, for example an verification token for google's webmaster tools.

• The "keywords" meta tag is entirely ignored by Google and they even have an official video where they explicitly admit it. It's also 2 minutes long and explains why the meta description is useful to attract users on search engines to click on your link. I really recommend that you take a look at it, it's pretty rare that Google reveals anything in that direction: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/79812?hl=en

There's also the announcement by Google from back in 2009 where they stated the relevance of certain meta tags and how they use them: https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2009/09/google…s-meta-tag.html

There maybe a translation issue here, sorry I can't speak German about this.

You have just contradicted yourself from your earlier post which said this:

Which are entirely ignored by Google for many, many years already. The only exception is, that the meta description to get presented to the user when showing search results, but they are not used to calculate any sort of relevance/ranking score.

To repeat, what is being asked for by the original poster and myself are not keyword meta tags, but title and description tags, which as you've now just said, unlike your earlier post, Google do say these are important and can have relevance on search results if the webmaster/admin uses a really good description.

Forget what Google said in 2009 (8 years ago...), this is what they say now, look at the video on their site:

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/79812?hl=en

It must be easy for you to include them, can you please do this for a future version?

thanks

Jupiter

I am a Newbie Admin. Please be gentle, I don't understand technical things.
    (Please can we have a full manual for this software)

• Marcel Werk 8. Mai 2018 um 20:19

Hat das Label Geplant hinzugefügt.
  • Marcel Werk 8. Mai 2018 um 20:19

Hat das Label 3.2.x hinzugefügt.
  • Alexander Ebert 15. Dezember 2018 um 22:02

Hat das Label von Geplant auf Umgesetzt geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!