Option needed to permantly hard delete topics and posts right away

• It's was intended to improve the functionally mostly for Admins who will have "delete topic/post" permission. There isn't really any reason for an admin (or site owner) carrying out moderation duties to soft delete posts - the admin will just want to hard delete them right away to avoid slowing him down having to take two steps. But it won't affect admins still being able to soft delete topics - it's just an extra way for them to hard delete topics/posts faster.

Seriosuly Paul, you try going into a topic that might need 15 posts removed spamming across 10 pages in the topic. You find you can only soft delete them as admin which means you then have to go and revisit those same pages in the thread again - reselecting all 15 posts again - to hard delete them (a real pain) for admin having to keep doing that

• It's not. Now you need to select ten posts two times. His solution cuts it in half. That is much more comfortable.

Meine Beiträge stellen - sofern nicht ausdrücklich anders gekennzeichnet - ausschließlich meine subjektive und aus Erfahrung und / oder Reflexion gewonnene Meinung dar und sind nicht als Fakten zu verstehen. Meinungen sind persönliche Ansichten und benötigen keine Belege. In Deutschland gilt nach Artikel 5 des Grundgesetzes Meinungsfreiheit. Meine Beiträge stellen keine Rechtsberatung dar, hierzu bin ich nicht befugt.

• The option already exists once a post has been moved to trash.

In what way? You mean that it gets deleted permanently after a certain time scale passes set in admin CP (which might be 30 days) time.

That setting is fine for soft delete posts because it gives admin time to check them before they get auto hard deleted (trash emptied) to maybe restore them back as posts/topics. But that is a little different really and is there mostly to cover soft deleted topics/posts from mounting up over time not removed.

In the meantime you have 15 posts in a topic showing deleted on them that doesn't look very good for 30 days. When they could have been hard deleted fast (gone for good right away) from the topic

• Hi

personally I'm curious, as I never use the hard delete option myself: Why don't you just soft delete the posts and let them expire in the trash bin? That way users don't get confused when some other post refer to the deleted post and it also makes moderation more transparent, which IMO is a good thing.

• personally I'm curious, as I never use the hard delete option myself: Why don't you just soft delete the posts and let them expire in the trash bin?

For me, mostly because having a forum filled with too many posts showing as soft deleted in topics can give a bad impression to anyone coming thinking of joining. There are lots of times when the posts are obvious spam, trolling, whatever - that you just want to remove ASAP and not have them hanging around listed cluttering up the forums (showing as deleted) for the next 30 days maybe putting other people off from joining. Adding that option makes it easy for Admin to just remove that just fast - no messing around doing it.

• You can control visibility of deleted threads per user group.

Right, I didn't know that then.

But imagine this. Lets say I started swearing now for the next 10 pages in this thread (going off on one). Would you sooner be able to just select all my posts and have the option there to just hard delete them right away quickly?

• Hi

personally I'm curious, as I never use the hard delete option myself: Why don't you just soft delete the posts and let them expire in the trash bin? That way users don't get confused when some other post refer to the deleted post and it also makes moderation more transparent, which IMO is a good thing.

For example:

My bin is set to never autoprune. Only posts i really want to absolutley bomb away will be deleted permanently. Everything else stays forever.

Meine Beiträge stellen - sofern nicht ausdrücklich anders gekennzeichnet - ausschließlich meine subjektive und aus Erfahrung und / oder Reflexion gewonnene Meinung dar und sind nicht als Fakten zu verstehen. Meinungen sind persönliche Ansichten und benötigen keine Belege. In Deutschland gilt nach Artikel 5 des Grundgesetzes Meinungsfreiheit. Meine Beiträge stellen keine Rechtsberatung dar, hierzu bin ich nicht befugt.

• For me, mostly because having a forum filled with too many posts showing as soft deleted in topics can give a bad impression to anyone coming thinking of joining.

Simply remove the ability to view soft deleted threads for users.

Make it available only to you as the admin.

• Okay, you ever run a forum and deleted a users post. They come back asking where their post went and means there are times when you want to actually show a deleted users post to them, just so they can see why it was deleted themselves and don't need be keep asking where their post went to. Come to think about it, I did see that setting now but had members setup to see deleted posts for that reason. So there are times when admin wants users to see their own soft deleted posts - but that means also there are times when an admin just wants to hard delete some posts/topics fast when the forum is setup to function that way with members seeing them.

Even WoltLab official site forum shows members soft deleted posts... as an example of that

• The letter of the law of liability concerning illegal content clearly specifies that you are still liable if the content is on your site, no matter if only you can view it or not. For that reason alone, I can easily justify the need to having a hard delete option.

Although I would want this as an option that I can restrict to specified groups or users. It only takes 1 rogue member to easily abuse this function.