Option needed to permantly hard delete topics and posts right away

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 3.0

From a moderator point of use that has permission to hard delete topics and posts, it's a pain that you can't hard delete topics and posts right away. Instead you can only soft delete them at first (send to trash), and then you have select all the same topics/posts again (a second time) to hard delete them next. There should be an option to bypass soft delete and be able to just hard delete them right away "first time" around when wanting too as admin or moderators with hard delete permission.

No fun selecting 10 posts in a topic to delete spread across 4 pages and then having to go back to those 4 pages and re-select all the same posts again to hard delete.

phpBB does it I use by having a check box you tick to simply hard delete topics first time instead of them being sent to trash as soft deleted.

• Things are fine the way they currently are. We need to have a way to bring back threads and posts after a period of time and if they are automatically hard deleted by a moderator that wont be possible. An administrator should have the final say whether or not a post or thread is deleted and there should be safe guards (like there already are) for accidental deletions. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

• Things are fine the way they currently are. We need to have a way to bring back threads and posts after a period of time and if they are automatically hard deleted by a moderator that wont be possible.

Keep in mind that only staff with hard delete permissions can use it though (and they can still hard delete posts and topics now anyway if you give them permission to do it, just means they have to send to soft delete first/ can still hard delete it next). Such as admins, who you might give it too and keep all moderators limited to only using soft delete. As admin, why the heck do I want to soft delete topics and posts for first? Having to select them two times to hard delete (as admin), it's just silly me having to do that as admin and slows me down no end.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (23. Oktober 2016 um 13:48)

• As admin, why do I want to soft delete topics and posts first for? Having to select them two times to hard delete (as admin), it's just silly me having to do it as admin.

How would you bring back a post that was deleted by accidentally clicking in the wrong place? It will happen to people.

• How would you bring a post back for any staff member now that can hard delete topics/posts? Do you not get that they can still (as things currently stand) if having hard delete permission - send to soft delete first/then hard delete it next. It has no bearing on that at all. It just means those with hard delete permissions can bypass doing a soft delete first to avoid wasting time. Maybe done like how phpBB does it with a checkbox used

If it's something like "obvious spam" - then there's no reason to leave it soft deleted for admin to look at, or having to take 2 steps to hard delete it. But if something like abuse, then they may choose to leave it soft deleted for admin to check out. But the main point is it's forcing "owner admin" to take two steps to hard delete topics and posts

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (23. Oktober 2016 um 14:04)

• How would you bring a post back for any staff member now that can hard delete topics/posts? Do you not get that they can still (as things currently stand) if having hard delete permission - send to soft delete first/then hard delete it next. It has no bearing on that at all. It just means those with hard delete permissions can bypass doing a soft delete first to avoid wasting time. Maybe done like how phpBB does it with a checkbox used

There are safe guards against accidentally deleting a post/thread now and that's the way it should stay. It's too easy to accidentally click on the wrong thing now with people using touch screens. There is a reason why phpBB is a free software and WoltLab isn't.

• How can you accidentally hard delete a post or topic if you need tick a checkbox fist to do it?

Did their mouse just accidentally float it's way over the small checkbox and tick it with a click... and they didn't see the text that says "check this box to hard delete" :/

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (23. Oktober 2016 um 14:31)

• AFAIK IPS4 also offers two options: hide and delete. The first one just makes content invisible for usergroups without permission to see hidden content ("soft-delete"), the last one deletes content permanently. I never read about anyone hitting the wrong option accidently. :)

• How can you accidentally hard delete a post or topic if you need tick a checkbox fist to do it?

You were complaining that there were too many extra steps to hard delete a post/thread, adding a check box is an extra step. You do not own a smartphone and haven't had to do anything as an administer or moderator using one. I can tell you as someone who has used a smartphone to move threads/posts to trash or permanently delete them, that it is too easy to click (touch) the wrong thing.

Again, if something isn't broken, there is no need to fix it.

• I never read about anyone hitting the wrong option accidently. :)

Me neither..

if going to bring up accidentally ticking a checkbox by mistake. Then what about all the other checkboxes WBB uses. Maybe we should scrap all them also, eh? ;(

Wouldn't it be just as easy on a touch screen mobile device then duplicate Marvin to click one of these settings wrong?

If they used same type of select button for it, as the image above shows, then you have no argument because it would mean same problem is there all across the entire site, even in Admin CPI

• if going bring up accidentally ticking a checkbox by mistake. Then what about all the other checkboxes WBB uses. Maybe we should scrap all them also, eh?

Wouldn't it be just as easy on a touch screen mobile device then Paul to click one of these settings wrong?

That's asinine. There is a huge difference between accidentally clicking on one of those options and clicking on something that will permanently remove content.

• No point arguing any further over it with you. I just pointed out they could use same type of select button for it as used in Admin CP/User CP for option choices. But you still won't have it... 8o

• Why not? There is no more risk if hard delete right has been given, anyway.

Meine Beiträge stellen - sofern nicht ausdrücklich anders gekennzeichnet - ausschließlich meine subjektive und aus Erfahrung und / oder Reflexion gewonnene Meinung dar und sind nicht als Fakten zu verstehen. Meinungen sind persönliche Ansichten und benötigen keine Belege. In Deutschland gilt nach Artikel 5 des Grundgesetzes Meinungsfreiheit. Meine Beiträge stellen keine Rechtsberatung dar, hierzu bin ich nicht befugt.

• Why not? There is no more risk if hard delete right has been given, anyway.

GTB was asking for the ability to permanently delete a post with one click. Even when having the ability/permission to hard delete a post, you have to go through some extra steps before you get there, as it should be.

• Well, i would not need an extra step, but a warning might be okay.

Meine Beiträge stellen - sofern nicht ausdrücklich anders gekennzeichnet - ausschließlich meine subjektive und aus Erfahrung und / oder Reflexion gewonnene Meinung dar und sind nicht als Fakten zu verstehen. Meinungen sind persönliche Ansichten und benötigen keine Belege. In Deutschland gilt nach Artikel 5 des Grundgesetzes Meinungsfreiheit. Meine Beiträge stellen keine Rechtsberatung dar, hierzu bin ich nicht befugt.

• Checkbox: Delete permanently?

Should be enough and comfortable.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!