wrong smiley picked for whistling

• Well the smiley you picked for whistling is "disappointed face" having a quick look. And lets be honest, it looks nothing like it's whistling anyway. The other two actually do look like they are, even if listed as kissing faces and you picked another one for that anyhow with a heart coming out mouth for kissing. You picked an obvious looking sulky face for whistling that doesn't even have lips looking like it's whistling

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not happy with the currently used smiley, so I'll see if I can find a better one.

Despite that I'm not going to purposely use a smiley with a different meaning, just because it looks quite similar. These names and expressions were chosen by the consortium to be properly recognized across cultures (all though things like the devil and saint are questionable).

• I'm not going to purposely use a smiley with a different meaning

You already have because you picked Disappointed Smiley for Whistling

These names and expressions were chosen by the consortium to be properly recognized across cultures

Well, looking at that page you linked to, can see Whistling smiley doesn't appear to be listed on it. So you either need remove it from smiley list completely if being that fussy about that page listing them and ones used with name - or you have no choice but to compromise using another for smiley for it that looks best. But seeing as you're being fussy about that page and no whistling smiley is listed on it - you should remove it then in that case.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (6. September 2016 um 19:07)

• Funny, we had the same discussion within out team and to be plain honest: I was partially off beam. :D By just looking at the expressions of those little guys, you tend to interpret them the way they "seem" to you, not based on their actual meaning. Accordingly, I really get your point, @GTB, but Alexander is formally right. Did you see this:

http://blog.getemoji.com/post/557376531…sing-face-emoji

and other similar "confusing" emojis: http://gawker.com/12-emoji-that-…rong-1643900635

Well, there's no real matching emoji that's whistling, no smiley like these http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/whistling/. So, what's to be done? Either we go with your suggestion and just ignore the title/name, use the emoji just because its expression fits whistling, or we don't (due to the reason Alexander stated). Formally Alexander can't agree on option 1, the software has to match given standards. However, within the individual forums one is free to use the smilies the way one wants to. Thus, we'll grab the little "whistling" guy and yeah, he's whistling, proof us wrong. ;)

Apart from whistling, I took that || as getting a fit/starting to cry, him ?( as sleeping/looking down and him:D a kind of toothy grin/biting into something white (like a white cookie). Maybe that could be nice forum competition: Describe the smilies as creative as can be and win a workshop on smilies' expressions. ;)^^

• I'm not going to argue further over the smiley thing. End of day they can be replaced and to be honest - yeah, I didn't think some of the other choices used are that good either like you listed, there are some better ones in the same Emoji One pack for using instead that emoji site listed as alternatives (maybe developers have no idea about smilies, what best suits because they are coders - sorry). But sure, it's all down to what each person prefers used really, the tooth grinding one looks more like a Eek smiley to me.

I only brought up the whistling one because it was so obviously not a right smiley to use for it. Everyone knows what a whistling smiley looks like, don't care what Emoji say - they haven't been around that long as smilies. It isn't a sulky pants one, and as you said and I did before - there isn't actually a whistling smiley they list (but there has always been one used on forums). So why drop it just because emoji don't list it? When did they set the standard for default smilies that only should be used.

That said, if they do remove the whistling one. It can be added as an extra one anyhow

?( = Tired

:whistling: = Sulking/or shamed

|| = Bawling/Upset

:/=Thinking

:S= Died

=O= Shocked

:D =Eek

Dear me... I'll be changing them for some others in same Emoji One pack, they'll get used as extra ones :rolleyes:

11 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (7. September 2016 um 00:01)

• As for other smilies, emojiOne asks for proper attribution Marcel Werk  WoltLab

Zitat
    released under the Creative Commons (CC BY 4.0) license, with proper attribution required for commercial (for-profit) services and products.
    Zitat

Attribution

Instructions on how to properly link/credit us.

A lot of people ask us “Well what’s the catch?” Maybe we’re nuts, but money was never the primary motivation behind EmojiOne. Build it, grow it, and figure it out later. It may not be the smartest business plan, but it’s a lot more fun. Attibution is the only payment we require, and we’d like to imagine you would want to anyway. :)

Examples on how to link us:

Personal or non-commercial use of our emoji do not require attribution.

• Can I ask something ? You would be actually selling a product with EmojiOne bundled, right ? Doesn't that make the whole thing a commercial project ?

No, not really I would have thought. You can download and use the framework free as just an article system without any sold apps installed extra. So the smilies are not coming as part of any sold apps "when you think about it". The smilies come with the framework which is open source and there's no requirement to purchase anything forced on you "bundled with the smilies".

It's a good question what you asked and I never thought about that one - but then I didn't know either they required a link added. I can see what you're saying - that technically they ain't offering a free product as such and still sell items making things commercial.

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (11. September 2016 um 18:54)

• Offizieller Beitrag

It doesn't matter if we include the core with the purchasable products, it is still available for free without paying a single dime and is licensed under the terms of the LGPL.

Also it is not bundled with commercial products, but the commercial products are bundled with the core. Sounds similar, but is actually the other way around, which makes a great difference.

• Please do not integrate two types of smileys. Stick with one type. It's senseless to force users to delete doubled smileys ...

The new ones are much better, btw. More sleek, better design and easily understandable. So why keep the old ones that are 5+ years old?

Meine Beiträge stellen - sofern nicht ausdrücklich anders gekennzeichnet - ausschließlich meine subjektive und aus Erfahrung und / oder Reflexion gewonnene Meinung dar und sind nicht als Fakten zu verstehen. Meinungen sind persönliche Ansichten und benötigen keine Belege. In Deutschland gilt nach Artikel 5 des Grundgesetzes Meinungsfreiheit. Meine Beiträge stellen keine Rechtsberatung dar, hierzu bin ich nicht befugt.

• Will the well known and much better traditional Smileys be available too?

I actually made a plugin which adds a tab with EmojiOne smiles. I submitted it to Store, but got rejected more than once due to lack of something that defines WCF version compatibility. It was just one line on something related to WCF. It works fine and if anyone want to see it, can check my forum ( link in signature ). It works with 4.1.

• It doesn't matter if we include the core with the purchasable products, it is still available for free without paying a single dime and is licensed under the terms of the LGPL.

Also it is not bundled with commercial products, but the commercial products are bundled with the core. Sounds similar, but is actually the other way around, which makes a great difference.

To be honest, I am happy to see EmojiOne instead of what we see here. I was just asking an innocent doubt :)

• To be honest, I am happy to see EmojiOne instead of what we see here

They are using the EmojiOne smilies here?

Please do not integrate two types of smileys. Stick with one type. It's senseless to force users to delete doubled smileys ...

The new ones are much better, btw. More sleek, better design and easily understandable. So why keep the old ones that are 5+ years old?

I agree, nowadays mobile users are more into the Emoji smilies and want them to be bigger as well - like the Emoji ones are. The older smilies was okay with WBB 4.1 that used a really small font-size - but are too small for use with WBB Suite 3 - they don't suit used here due to now bigger font-size used. Plus the Emoji suit the flat style (with them being flat smilies), the others don't suit it.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (12. September 2016 um 20:17)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!